Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I miss having a dealer network.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fraank

Jul 21, 2019
UK
Screenshot_20201211-142925.png

I raised a service issue over 2 weeks ago after my rear window/mirror defrosters stopped working.

Any other marque and I would have been in to a garage for a diagnosis (and probably new fuse), within a few days tops. I would have also been able to phone and speak to someone.

The compromises I've made to drive the least compromised EV were valid in my mind a year ago. I don't think they will be valid in another year, when I will have many other EV options available to me.

It's a pain not being able to see out the rear window, at times hazardous, but worse than that is imagining a more serious fault and not being able to get it resolved.

I'm driving my 4yr old 300 miles to her grandparents on Sunday. Hopefully it's not raining on the motorway...

View attachment 616581
I raised a service issue over 2 weeks ago after my rear window/mirror defrosters stopped working.

Any other marque and I would have been in to a garage for a diagnosis (and probably new fuse), within a few days tops. I would have also been able to phone and speak to someone.

The compromises I've made to drive the least compromised EV were valid in my mind a year ago. I don't think they will be valid in another year, when I will have many other EV options available to me.

It's a pain not being able to see out the rear window, at times hazardous, but worse than that is imagining a more serious fault and not being able to get it resolved.

I'm driving my 4yr old 300 miles to her grandparents on Sunday. Hopefully it's not raining on the motorway...

I appreciate it is frustrating but you can always use the rear facing camera in the meantime.

Also, check your car has a wifi connection when its parked as they will need that to do the remote.

I still don't understand the issue you have?

Ice can be removed prior to driving with de-icer or an ice scraper prior to setting off?

But what is the issue with rain/spray if it isn't a fogging up issue?

I’ve never achieved anything over text with Tesla. I’m still supposed to be having “senior techs” look into the problem with my car not sending notifications to my phone, even though it spontaneously fixed itself recently. By them or of its own volition? I’ll never know, as I’ve never had a reply after the first message.

You need to speak to the service department at your local service centre to progress this. I’ve never had a problem getting hold of someone to speak to using “option 5” on the SC number.

Incidentally, my last car - an Audi - I would have to wait a minimum of 3 weeks, often more, to get anything done. This is broadly in line with SC appointments. Mobile service wasn’t even an option. So I’d dispute the “in a few days” part of your post.

I have to say, the winter driving experience on my 3LR is, so far, not brilliant. Even with pre-conditioning, my rear window takes ages to clear and it shouldn't need to be scraped if only mild icing is present. The wing mirrors the same. None of the automation seems to work properly in even a mild shower or on a wet motorway. On my 20 mile motorway journey in the morning, I probably get five or six messages about navigate on autopilot not being available and cameras being blocked. The real issue is the failures are intermittent so the journey becomes a mixture of automated and non-automated. Working properly, FSD requires a rhythm while you are cruising and overtaking on motorways, once this is broken by chimes, unintended braking and NOA messages, I find it's best to just turn it all off.
However, I wait in hope that the strongly heralded re-write (that was advertised to arrive before the end of the year) will fix all this but it's gone a bit quiet since it hit the streets in the US in October...

View attachment 616581

Sometimes I had responses within an hour and issues resolved, others I never got a response, however I know all these messages are logged on to their systems that the service centres can access. Its all a bit high tech but involves people getting involved which is the area that needs improving

Being pedantic but the car doesn’t have a wifi connection when asleep. Tesla will wake it up and talk to it remotely over LTE.

I was reflecting on the time recently when I asked my SC about my eMMC. They said to me that they needed to check it remotely and asked me to make sure my car was connected to a good wifi signal so they could do the checking.

However, I wait in hope that the strongly heralded re-write (that was advertised to arrive before the end of the year) will fix all this but it's gone a bit quiet since it hit the streets in the US in October...

Apparently the driving decisions are still being done by traditional code.. the NN just does classification, albeit more sophisticated than AP. IMO that's a dead end for self driving as they're going to hit a wall where the number of issues exceeds the capacity of the developers to fix them. They could already be there.. progress seems to have slowed dramatically.

TBH I'd be happy with an AP without phantom braking that understood parked cars somewhat, which is achievable now, but they're not backporting the changes into it so we're no even getting the advantages of that.

Incidentally, my last car - an Audi - I would have to wait a minimum of 3 weeks, often more, to get anything done. This is broadly in line with SC appointments. Mobile service wasn’t even an option. So I’d dispute the “in a few days” part of your post.

I’ve driven Audis for over 20 years and have never had to wait more than five days for a service appointment. Sometimes a service while you wait appointment was available next day. COVID has slowed things down a bit now but I’d be appalled if I had to wait for three weeks.

I still don't understand the issue you have?

Ice can be removed prior to driving with de-icer or an ice scraper prior to setting off?

But what is the issue with rain/spray if it isn't a fogging up issue?
Without a rear windscreen wiper, the only way to clear the rear window (and side mirrors) of rain or spray is by heat. I'm guessing you don't live in the Welsh valleys? :)

Update that isn't an update. Spoke to Tesla twice since above. Very nice people apologised and told me they would ensure a colleague would investigate my issue and phone me.

I've heard nothing, and in full lockdown in Wales now.

Last edited: