Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I moan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Neilio

Jul 8, 2020
Brentford
and whine about panel gaps. About loose fixtures and fittings, the infuriating order porcess. Phantom braking and not fully automatic autopilots.

The M3P has jsut got my missus, me and the bikes all the way to the Dordogne yesterday and apart from said phantom braking incidents it's worst problem was the million+ bugs it decided to bring with us.

I genuinely am falling in love with this car, i do think there is something unique, currently about Tesla.

... you moan, he/she/it moans, we moan, you moan, they moan.

Yeah, there's a certain aura that I've never had with a car before. It's like a new puppy that sh!ts all over your floor but you still love it.

How has the road trip been from a technical point of view? Are you going to do a write up?
I will do a write up if there's an appetite for it. I'll have a bit of down time this week while the missus is by the pool. I have the good and bad of the destination charger. Problems with French supercharger destinations and fun refueling the car by simply going down a load of hills!

Reactions: stonecoldrmw
but the trip, yes it is a good one so far!

Packing as suprisngly easy. I used to have a big old estate car so wondered how I would cope with a saloon car, not even a hatch at the back. The answer is surprisingly easy! The reaosn i was worried is we have brought the bikes. I didn´t think our bikes, two sets of luggage, and a lot of gym gear for the cycling would all fit. Turns out it does, easily. All I needed to do was remove one pedal from a bike. This was getting stuck down where the seats folded and making me nervous. Took the quick release wheels off and it's all gone in easily. I did make a slight concession to luggage. I put mine in a soft bag not hardcase so it could be squeezed into the frunk. Missus´ case in the underboot and ruckascaks full of cycling gear either in the rest of the boot or between the seats. It really is a practical car for itś size!

Journey for the most was uneventful, Eurotunnel was completely empty so had my free run of the superchargers in the terminal. One added bonus being you get full mobile signal in the tunnel so we could watch the netflix during the trip!

Slight issue on our leg to Paris. I, and the car, had originally planned to stop at the superchargers at aire de baie de somme because it´s one of the few that is in a service station and we could lunch there. On leaving the tunnel the car then decided it could get straight to Paris, then, 10 minutes later, decided it couldn´t so I manually rerouted to the aire. sadly by this time we´d missed the turn off so had to take a cross country route. Which woudl have been fine. Except the road we wanted to go down was closed so an impromptu and long drive down some french country lanes ensued. Normally I´d love this but with the other half in the car and it fully loaded it wasn´t too much fun.

Charging at aire de baie de somme is reocmmended though. It is a well set out little service station with a good little deli and a nice outdoor spot by the lake. Next leg was taken by the other half. On to Paris! She tried the autopilot but decided it wasn´t for her. Deciding instead to drive at speeds that can´t have been good for my batteries, certainly weren´t good for the flies and midges of Northern France and might have led to the M3P being phtogrpahed by the Gendarmerie. Which was nice!

Stayed in the hotel Ampere in France. Nice Hotel, decent location, and much nicer inside than the outside suggests. 3 destination chargers in this one, one was broken but if you have an X I woudl say that is a moot point. Anyone who has used an underground car park in France will know the reason why. The designer clearly had a citreon AX or Renualt twingo and has the mindset "well, my car fits in there, so all cars are fine. Bon travail!" They are TIGHT.

Next day and driving nervously through Paris. I hadn´t recieved my V5 so couldn´t order my critáir sticker. I was all prepared to argue with the police that ppulle me over, saying "You do know WHY this law is in don't you? do you really think THIS car is the right one to give a ticket?" but it didn't happen!

Next stop Chateuroux and one of those superchargers in the middle of nowhere. You pass through a huge retail park with all the mcDonalds/quicks and buffalo grills a weary french traveller could want, then sadly you travel another mile to the charge in a fancy hotel. Still the hotel allowed us to get a Cafe au lait and only looked down on us slgihtly. Which was nice. There were 8 chargers and 4 occupied so it was my first time being "that guy" stealing someone else's charge. Although as we pulled in, all four cars started packing to leave. Must have been something we said! They were all Dutch and given they left together I assume some club trip. If you're a plane geek though, I'd recommend this one. It's opposite Chateuroux airport which is unlike any other airport I've seen. The entrance is a brilliant white Art deco design that looks like a luxury development in Miami, not an airpotrt.

Next stop was Limoges. not the supercharger on the edge of town but a destination charger near the cathedral where we planned to have lunch. Sadly the chargers were both broken (to be fair, they were showing on plugsurfing as being broken last month. I just hoped they had been fixed) So a quick search for car parks found one, about 400m away from the cathedral but seemingly 7000ft below it. Not a pleasant climb in the late summer heat! I then went on to an amazing place called oradour sur glane. A town that was the site of a nazi war atrocity and has been perfectly preserved from how they left it. A sombre but interesting monument. Next up was a big charge at limoges superchargers and dinner by scrambling up a bank to get to a huge e leclerc.

Then a completely trouble free run to the campsite.

Some observations. The car is quiteter than I expected at speed even with the boot down and a lot of cargo

One thing that worries me is how much below the estimated charge I was every single time. There are factors in this. The fully loaded car, the "enthusiasts" treatment of the accelerator and the high heat meaning we had to have the Aircon up high for a lot of the time but still I sort of figured by the last leg it would gave worked this out. Despite a slower drive in that leg we still arrived 6% below the estimate a SoC when we left limoges

Deciding instead to drive at speeds that can´t have been good for my batteries, certainly weren´t good for the flies and midges of Northern France and might have led to the M3P being phtogrpahed by the Gendarmerie. Which was nice!

oh for a speed limiter!
Have a great time it’s a great part of the country for touring around.
Canoeing is another matter. Overturned one there with the wife in it 35 years ago. It’s never been forgotten!

Reactions: Neilio
Maybe it was the route you took. Every Tesla supercharger I used in France (2) and Spain (4) had restaurants and hotels next to them. Although, I accept that a McDonald's may not be everyone's first choice for a break.
They had hotels. Just a bit inconvenient if al you want is a coffee, as they tend to just have restaurants. Still at least they have something. I reckon I dropped the ball in Limoges. We should have grabbed food at the E. Leclerc then headed to the charger. They are by a nice lake

bure-1-c-murray-thompson.jpg

this photo from the national trust shows some portions of the burr need some cleanup before putting in a canoe

Reactions: Beady3647
Slight update: 3rd party charging in this part of rural France is second to none. Well second to Norway probably.

The campsite we are at is near the tiny village of St Avit de Vailard. Which is literally a couple of houses, a town hall and a bistro that never opens. Yet there are 2 chargers there. Most of the small towns we went to also had chargers, and I always managed to get a decent charge. Slightly pricey though as through chargepoint.

It's fun staying in the hills above the nearest town, le bugue. Driving in to it of a morning always managed to give me either 1 percent extra fuel or remain the same as when I left off. It blows my mind still that you can refuel your car whilst heading to you destination.

Side note, always carry you spare key card. You never know when someone will crash into you whilst kayaking down a river, spilling you and your phone (which is also your car key) into the river. Plus side is it's waterproof for 30 minutes. Downside is it sank without trace so it'll probably be sodden by now!

Reactions: EVMeister
And now for the journey home! Some bad, some good, mostly " " which, let's be honest, is perfect when you have a 13 and a half hour drive to undertake. The dull normal is what you want! Only one incident of Phantom braking on the whole journey.

We started off from the little village outside the campsite with a full SoC, and as the first 10 miles was pretty mush all down hill very little fuel was used. However, then the first, and only major problem started. I had planned to do a long 3 and a bit hour drive to the charger at Chateuroux, with the car saying I'd have 15% SoC when I got there and ABRP saying I'd have 12%. About an hour into the journey the estimate had dropped to 6%, I got nervous about it dropping further so did an emergency top up at Limoges. Not sure at all why the estimate was so out? One thing might have been weight, the car was fully loaded and it was a really hilly part of the journey, maybe the car struggled with the calculations? Doesn't explain ABRP though, as I put the extra weight into the app also it was the only part of the trip where it rained, but only showers. No idea why it was so off. I kept within the speed limit (honestly, gov). Does using FSD use a lot more computing power and therefore power power? Th other half always got to here charging stops above predicted SoC and I was always below. We are both "spirited" drivers so the only difference I can think of was I used NoA all the time and she didn't like it.

Anyway, have already described the two charging stops on the way down so on with the trip...

Given my emergency stop at Limoges it's a real PiTA that the Orléans site is currently closed. It would have been a perfect charge stop for a trip from south west France to North East France. Instead it was back up to Chateroux for a long long charge to be able to get to the Rungis supercharger in Paris. Which is in an odd location. in the Novotel at the very back of an area of dirt cheap hotels. Had lunch there, finest french cuisine from Monsieur McDonald then the entirely incident free drive up to the train. Good charging at Calais eurotunnel terminal including an extra boost at the flexiplus lounge with two extra chargers that I didn't know about. Meant I could drive in the manner god intended on the English leg of the journey and use the P of my M3P. Word of warning though, the flexiplus chargers are for Model 3 owners only (or, better drivers than me). The exit is really really tight and if I had a model X I'd not even attempt it!

I few quirks: NoA is scared of cones. It'll try to steer you away from them when you go through roadworks. It's also scared of bends in the road and wants to put two lanes between you and the lorry it's overtaking if they road is bending (left in France, right in the UK). I know it has to err on the side of safety but it is a nervous nelly at times. Getting on to the peripherique in heavy, typically Parisienne traffic gave it a total meltdown and the organic, field on caffeine and biscuits computer had to take over.

Last odd thing: the car is EXTREMELY clever in that it knows that France has two motorway speed limits depending on if it's raining or not and it'll tell you which one to stick to. However it's also extremely stupid. It thinks it's own washer fluid is rain, and reacts accordingly. On two occasions, with the amount of bugs on the screen, I had to use a lot of fluid, and it said "bad weather detected, NoA switching off" Silly car.

That being said, using autopilot and NoA was so much more relaxing than having no driver aids. I got home much fresher than I should have been after a long drive. It gives you time to concentrate on actually more of the road, confident that the car will spot things as much as you will.

Summary: Apart form the software quirks and need to improve the confidence of the NoA the car performed remarkably well for what was asked if it. It's a cheap, small, electric, performance saloon with sports suspension and low profile tyres. It isn't built for doing 13 hour long journeys, certainly not fully loaded with bikes, and all the gear need for a weekend on a campsite. It's not it's wheelhouse at all but it did exactly what was asked if it. It got us there and back without major incident in much more comfort than I was expecting and way more relaxed than any other car I've driven. Even my previous car which was designed for carrying big loads on long motorway journeys couldn't touch this.

Reactions: eight and Jeeves
However, then the first, and only major problem started. I had planned to do a long 3 and a bit hour drive to the charger at Chateuroux, with the car saying I'd have 15% SoC when I got there and ABRP saying I'd have 12%. About an hour into the journey the estimate had dropped to 6%, I got nervous about it dropping further so did an emergency top up at Limoges. Not sure at all why the estimate was so out?

Obviously, I don't know your journey profile but my last long trip took me directly over the top of the Pyrenees. Nav planning told me that on my journey from near Valencia, I'd have 33% when I arrived at the Pau supercharger. Imagine therefore, my concern when at the top of the mountains, I had 24%, and 1.5hrs (120km) left to go.
Then, on my 1 hour descent, I watched regen pump the battery up to 38%. As I pulled into the supercharger...33%. So, I still have faith. :D