Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I never should have entered my first Tesla Thread...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've not heard anyone from Tesla say it is possible to move from an S to a P yet.

True, but the only difference I have seen noted between the two is the different inverter. It would seem to me that swapping the inverter and changing the SW config would do the trick. Now, whether its cost-effective to go this route is a whole different question.

O

Congratulations BareyB! I started pricing a '40' (when they were available) and worked my way all the way up to an 85P+. No configuration is a bad one when it comes to an S. As has been noted, you will find yourself wanting to drive a lot more once you get it. We all used to say..'Not worth the trip because it will cost 'XYZ' for the gas'. Now you will find most people look for excuses to drive the car.

In my house it is now...'Sure I will do the shopping, drop off the dry cleaning, pick up the kids, take the dog to the park'..anything to have even a half a$$ excuse to drive.

Enjoy.

Congratulations BareyB! I started pricing a '40' (when they were available) and worked my way all the way up to an 85P+. No configuration is a bad one when it comes to an S. As has been noted, you will find yourself wanting to drive a lot more once you get it. We all used to say..'Not worth the trip because it will cost 'XYZ' for the gas'. Now you will find most people look for excuses to drive the car.

In my house it is now...'Sure I will do the shopping, drop off the dry cleaning, pick up the kids, take the dog to the park'..anything to have even a half a$$ excuse to drive.

Enjoy.

Thanks! I'm still in the "I can't believe I'm gonna be driving THAT car" phase. I'm glad I updated to the larger battery. I don't want to have any regrets later and having the Super Charger activated is some nice peace of mind.

Nitpicker's corner: There is no such thing as a Tesla dealership. And we hope it stays that way. Dealerships are the devil.

Oh! Well then I'll stop calling it that! This is a whole new way of thinking. Would Store be the proper term? :)

- - - Updated - - -

It's always fun reliving that excitement through someone else at this beginning phase! Thanks for sharing the progression of the mind meld. That was fun to read!

Hey you're very welcome! I'm really enjoying the whole process. Just watched a video of the original Model S Launch Day in Fremont. This is a huge paradigm shift we are all a part of. Huge. Imagine if we didn't care about Oil so much? What future problems might that solve? Gives me a little more hope for the future and I'm proud to be a small part of it. :)

"Store" in most states; "gallery" in some challenging states (like TX).
I think it's a brilliant strategy. The Factory Store model only works well if you have an outstanding product, and the Tesla IS. It was such a different experience from when I bought my last car (which took all afternoon). I'm a fan, and I hope by driving around in one, it inspires others to do the same.

Last edited:
bareyb,

I've found my wife's S85 to be very good fun to drive. I really do not notice the difference from my P unless I am launching the car or otherwise stomping on it at low speeds. I'm sure the P would take the S in most situations but the difference for me is not that noticeable in 98% of my daily driving. A few tweaks to the S coil suspension and I think it would be an awesome contender to the P85+ as a fun daily driver (assuming you could live without that neck snapping off the line acceleration).

bareyb,

I've found my wife's S85 to be very good fun to drive. I really do not notice the difference from my P unless I am launching the car or otherwise stomping on it at low speeds. I'm sure the P would take the S in most situations but the difference for me is not that noticeable in 98% of my daily driving. A few tweaks to the S coil suspension and I think it would be an awesome contender to the P85+ as a fun daily driver (assuming you could live without that neck snapping off the line acceleration).
Put slightly differently...

Suppose two Model S vehicles are on a road trip, one a standard 85 and one a performance 85. Most would argue that if the lead car is the 85 and he "loses" the P85 in traffic by aggressive driving, then the 85 is a "poor lead car" acting "foolishly" not that the 85 is "appreciably faster in this driving scenario". I would argue the same thing is true if you reverse the car positions.

The P85 can be faster but in most driving situations it won't be faster in a way that matters for traffic negotiation or transit from point A to point B.

And the beat goes on... I never should have asked about the "P".... :D :D :D

I just upgraded to the 85... Along with the Fog lights. I think I'm gonna push the "Confirm" Button tomorrow before I end up with a "P" on my bumper. :D

Yeah… the "P" sounds pretty fun... The old "what's another ten grand at this point?" I get tempted sometimes myself. I read somewhere that once you get over $100k that the insurance goes up. So that's one reason not to do it. Not a very good one, but there you go. :D

You were able to upgrade to the "P"??? How is one able to do that? I thought once you confirmed it was set in stone. No?

Who would I email said request to? Do you just shoot it to the link on "My Tesla"?

LOL. Okay. Just got off the phone with HQ and it appears to be all set. They said "no guarantees, but it looks likely" that they can upgrade me to the "P". Told me to call next week to make sure. God help me. You guys are a terrible influence. Time to upgrade my signature. :D :D :D

That was the first question I had too. He said it would not affect my delivery time. It would still be late October.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! So glad I went for it. I owe you one! :D :D :D

Last edited: