Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I-Pace vs P3D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You’re asking this on a Teslacentric website, what kind of answer did you think you were going to get?

That's not a relevant point.

I'm a fan of vehicles in general and no one is born a Tesla nuthugger.

In a world without Tesla, I'd be on Bimmerfest/Audiworld discussing M3's vs C AMGs vs Audi RS3s.

Tesla takes everyone else to the woodshed so not many pros to work off of other than "Its not a Tesla, so it wins????"

It's not ipace sucks because Tesla site, ipace sucks because it sucks. Any car without reliable fast charger end to end is DOA in my eyes. E-Tron already dead as well. Audi doesn't even bother making E-Tron's for individual dealers to sell.

Anyone can own an iPace as a secondary toy car thats fun to run around town. As your PRIMARY do everything, go everywhere vehicle - NOPE.

In a world without Tesla, I'd be on Bimmerfest/Audiworld discussing M3's vs C AMGs vs Audi RS3s.

Tesla takes everyone else to the woodshed so not many pros to work off of other than "Its not a Tesla, so it wins????"

It's not ipace sucks because Tesla site, ipace sucks because it sucks. Any car without reliable fast charger end to end is DOA in my eyes. E-Tron already dead as well. Audi doesn't even bother making E-Tron's for individual dealers to sell.

Anyone can own an iPace as a secondary toy car thats fun to run around town. As your PRIMARY do everything, go everywhere vehicle - NOPE.

Well anyone with 80k laying around for toys.

Reactions: Shizzrock
In my test drive experience the idea that the interface of the car should be reduced to an iPad-like experience is completely flawed.
A test drive is not enough time to fairly assimilate how everything works. Your ability to control the car efficiently goes up with practice. Before I bought my Model 3, I thought that what Tesla was doing with the Model 3 was a good direction in general, but that they probably went too far, and should dial it back in future products. After owning one and getting in some hours of practice time, I no longer think think they went too far. Now I just really like it and have no wish that they had included more buttons and knobs.

A test drive is not enough time to fairly assimilate how everything works. Your ability to control the car efficiently goes up with practice. Before I bought my Model 3, I thought that what Tesla was doing with the Model 3 was a good direction in general, but that they probably went too far, and should dial it back in future products. After owning one and getting in some hours of practice time, I no longer think think they went too far. Now I just really like it and have no wish that they had included more buttons and knobs.

Disagree and it wouldn’t take much to make me happy.

Hardware buttons for homelink, power fold mirrors and a few other things would improve things a lot in my opinion.

Sounds like you're looking to price out an $80k-$85k I-PACE. Honestly if you have that much money to burn, and P3D is too spartan or not premium enough for you, you should just go with a Model S. Model S is a lot bigger than I-PACE in terms of both interior and trunk space. It also has 2 screens if you really need the extra infotainment screens. There are options you can get with Model S you can't get with Model 3.

You will at least be within Tesla's ecosystem, with industry leading safety design, autopilot, and having access to Superchargers will allow you to travel outside your city bubble. Plus it's the S, so the build quality should be pretty damn good ,and the car is S3xy imo.

Hardware buttons for homelink, power fold mirrors and a few other things would improve things a lot in my opinion.
Interesting how people's usage models can differ. I've never wanted to power fold the mirrors myself. If I had a button for that purpose I don't think I'd ever touch it. Homelink I use once per day; a button would feel like overkill for such an infrequently-used feature.

Adding a couple programmable hardware buttons that each owner could set to do whatever they wanted it to do might not be a bad thing to include. Don't know that I'd bother ever using them, but it would add some flexibility without baking in assumptions about how frequently people use different controls.

I don't know that EVERY ev needs a charging network; our Bolt doesn't have one and it does great work running errands around the sf bay area. It can't go on long trips, but we have the Tesla for that. On the other hand, $80K is a lot of money for a car used for regional driving only, especially for an SUV. An SUV that can't make trips to National Parks (and I'm looking at you too, e-Tron and EQC) seems like a vehicle that can't make up its mind what it's for.

Autobahn Challenge: Will the Jaguar I-PACE keep up with the Tesla Model X?

Worth quoting this, if you are thinking about an I-PACE, you should watch the drive test in this video. It shows that the I-PACE is very inefficient. Driving at 81mph, they had perfect summer road condition, and I-PACE barely goes 155 miles at this speed. This means much lower in Winter conditions.

In contrast to a Model 3 LR, their tests showed:

Driving speed: 150 km/h (93 mph): - Consumption: 229 Wh/km - Range: 315 km (196 mi)
Driving speed: 120 km/h (74 mph): - Consumption: 164 Wh/km - Range: 450 km (280 mi)

Pretty big difference for people looking to travel with their EV.

Last edited:
I don't know that EVERY ev needs a charging network; our Bolt doesn't have one and it does great work running errands around the sf bay area. It can't go on long trips, but we have the Tesla for that. On the other hand, $80K is a lot of money for a car used for regional driving only, especially for an SUV. An SUV that can't make trips to National Parks (and I'm looking at you too, e-Tron and EQC) seems like a vehicle that can't make up its mind what it's for.

My main point is you will always have another car in addition to the Bolt.

A person who needs only a single car would be majorly inconvenienced if their only car was a Bolt or an iPace.

Model 3 - you can get away with it.

The only car out of 3 that even accepts gas in my family is a Volt.. and I think I can do without that gas backup if they were all Tesla's.

Worth quoting this, if you are thinking about an I-PACE, you should watch the drive test in this video. It shows that the I-PACE is very inefficient. Driving at 81mph, they had perfect summer road condition, and I-PACE barely goes 155 miles at this speed.

So basically, 80 miles one way? Really? OP called bullshit on me when I said only 100 miles. What a POS for a Tesla killer. How the hell will it make a Vegas run uphill with headwinds battering it?

Paint can be immaculate and have panel gaps in the microns and I would give zero bothers - I'd have range anxiety backing out of my driveway.

Last edited:
Just got off the I-Pace event in San Mateo and have a question. Ok, I’m not chasing Performance edition or even AWD, but if you are, why I-Pace is not a viable option at almost similar price point?
Normal car with likely a better assembly quality, with bunch of options to customize, with a bunch of color options for just $600 plus ;). Even something like air suspension is an option.

I am struggling to believe that this isn’t a troll.

I, too, checked out the iPace out of morbid curiosity, and it’s a joke. The entire infotainment system is unusable. It has a solid 2-3 second lag after inputs. I’d get into an accident just trying to use it. And that’s one reason, of dozens.

The only similarity these vehicles have is that they’re electric.

• Informative
Reactions: Emmexx1 and EinSV
Sorry. iPace loses.

EBF92AB7-2ABE-444B-8823-5C320023EF02.jpeg

I, too, checked out the iPace out of morbid curiosity, and it’s a joke. The entire infotainment system is unusable. It has a solid 2-3 second lag after inputs. I’d get into an accident just trying to use it. And that’s one reason, of dozens.

After perusing his post history, I'm convinced he's a troll.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: EinSV and MXWing

It is a bit laggy but definitely not in seconds range. On other hand, try to compare how long will it take Tesla owner to change the temperature vs I-pace even with laggy media interface.

I'd be on bimmerfest talking about how the Ipace is cool because it's electric but it doesn't hold a candle to my (BMW) M3 and that I hope the next Gen has decent range to be a contender.

• Informative
Reactions: MXWing
I didn't find the entertainment too bad, and it works with Carplay and Android Auto, which means you can use Waze and other apps natively on the screen, which is nice.

The regen was really good. Handling was super sharp and the different suspension modes definitely made a difference. Interior was top notch, car looks great especially in red.

I think the Superchargin thing is overhyped for most people who don't road trip often.

• Informative
Reactions: alloverx