Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I-Pass Issues - Excessive “Video Tolls”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, mine was the same as yours for nearly 2 years. Then all of a sudden something changed. Not sure what it was, but they were nailing me several times per week and charging me full fare for the video tolls. I went to the service center and talked to them and as soon as I said Tesla, they said I needed the license plate transponder. I notice a big difference between the two especially when I go through a manned tollbooth and you have to wait for the arm to raise. The old way I'd have to come to a complete stop and wait a second before it raises. Now I can pretty much roll through them and it picks up quickly.

ahkahn - do you happen to have any pics your can share of your front plate transponder?

I have WeatherTech plate covers/holders License Plate Covers - Clear Cover Waterproof License Plate Protector | WeatherTech that I figure would/will have to go if the back upper glass doesn't work. I also have the Tesla service center installed front license plate holder on the pre-facelift front "whale".

I drive around Orlando, one reads it, the next one doesn't. Found out the contractor running the system is corrupt.
Courts r after the firm contracted to run the system. It works fine in Miami, so u figure??
Im not sure about location, i have mine to the right of mirror. I know here its a crap shoot. I get as many read as camera plates.

I never cared about the camera plate reads before, but Illinois just made this new rule that if it has to read your plate you get 5 grace reads per month and then they start charging you double for every plate read.... so it's become an issue now.

ahkahn - do you happen to have any pics your can share of your front plate transponder?

This isn't my car (I don't have any recent front pics), but this was a Turo Model 3 that I rented down in Texas. You can see the black transponder on the front. Mine is pretty much the exact same thing.

HKeTZPx5mVIOUqHYgUwtxSFyAOKpR5ypfc1Y6dv-dsd92su25_-r2c6elr7iIm2B36-h-V9mzF2kErsjvHE4qKzz4VXBbUrljC4dp9dNpc3Nt0jl67vRt97jcRr_sKwvkRb26Q5GtnqSN9cdywTZI0T-aDpFXJ1MXozILmYmge-FOuAtNRCXvBaWCnU2-hWAup7xRQ4w7O7o6Ba0Yik1T44sjDBONzbbtlU_H21D188OX4_J-nBfEV_SVrrQAF4Iv_XEg1cjFPQ05DhhZTKJCpVRb9larnVD021qMA33jDqviQFpcPaTWnU3vwgmrGdxvbKGG_m-4zPcBb0QFdJ0CK-DMmOkY3ZVP3HXW-QoJ6DuX2wvfrfGAEYI5fL9FHlLES-RcPfipp3Iqd2MX-06TMijcXznxZQNJ2GZqi0Vw7h57yz1eLEgxiVvqn9-hBce8aSYSGJXuPOUJIM3UOKpdMUjgehd42ZIG6fYrDaxzOXsDWriaOYm_lwgnaPf2cmP57yxW45aatAw_ZIizbDLHqFgyTSR-ZDFTcvmqW5B97Llog_eIR0ddRaG7j8MerKUcWcQZQ0Om31w2JkGgsQu3Fl1C3_rOHqERw_bnmD4pxhyG4GmlgmZoXIIX8zop9ZlOf5U4VaqKRVQgpUobl8-yhanle-xemyP=w1167-h875-no

I am in Chicago and had this same problem. In my case, the issue was two-fold. First, we switched from a windshield mount EZpass to a bumper mount but—this shed light on the second problem: our Illinois “EL” plate. Specifically, we had accurately listed our plate on the toll pass website and tied it to the Tesla however we didn’t select the “specialty plate” moniker which triggered the error every time the toll pass was used. Check that you have selected “specialty plate” (or similar—I can’t remember the exact verbiage) but it clearly isn’t a passenger car for toll purposes. Good luck.

I am in Chicago and had this same problem. In my case, the issue was two-fold. First, we switched from a windshield mount EZpass to a bumper mount but—this shed light on the second problem: our Illinois “EL” plate. Specifically, we had accurately listed our plate on the toll pass website and tied it to the Tesla however we didn’t select the “specialty plate” moniker which triggered the error every time the toll pass was used. Check that you have selected “specialty plate” (or similar—I can’t remember the exact verbiage) but it clearly isn’t a passenger car for toll purposes. Good luck.

Yeah, I ran into the exact same issue in the very beginning.

I keep the ipass transponder inside my glove box on my MX and it's been working perfectly so far (never have to take it out at the tolls and the readers don't seem to have a problem reading the transponder, even though it's located inside the glove compartment the entire time)

On my ipass acct itself, for the "License Plate Type", I selected "Other - None of the above" as I was told by other tesla owners not to select "Passenger" for an EV or risk paying the toll trolls more $$

I DO have the full Pano roof with Sunroof, yes. The back panel of glass, (behind the crossbar) where I am now test mounting my iPass transponder is a fixed panel of glass without the blocking capabilities the front windshield has. I'll report back my findings.

I realize this is a very old thread, but wondering if this worked for you? I just received the RFID sticker iPass and I'm trying to figure out where to put it. I switching from the external license plate mount as I could never find the right spot on the windshield to make it work.

If the sunroof is an option, it's easy to put the sticker there. Did you try both the front and back panes of glass?

Hi @kebel21 ,

The proper place for the external Ipass license plate transponder is on or in the front bumper.
It will not work inside of the car...
Many problems with my wife's 2015 S 85 D...

I ended up mounting it inside the center of the "nose cone" bumper...
I just had to replace it as the original batteries just died...

Good luck,

Shawn

I realize this is a very old thread, but wondering if this worked for you? I just received the RFID sticker iPass and I'm trying to figure out where to put it. I switching from the external license plate mount as I could never find the right spot on the windshield to make it work.

If the sunroof is an option, it's easy to put the sticker there. Did you try both the front and back panes of glass?
On my new 2021+ MS, the new RFID sticker works great, on the inside lower right side corner of the windshield. On my older 2013 MS the spot was next to the mirror. Based on the year they have a different "sweet" spots for placing transponders inside the vehicle so perhaps it is better to check the manual for your particular model.

Hi @kebel21 ,

The proper place for the external Ipass license plate transponder is on or in the front bumper.
It will not work inside of the car...
Many problems with my wife's 2015 S 85 D...

I ended up mounting it inside the center of the "nose cone" bumper...
I just had to replace it as the original batteries just died...

Good luck,

Shawn
I have a refresh S so there is no nosecone option. Since the RFID sticker doesn't have a license plate option like the old iPass transponder, I need to find a place inside the car (I don't think the sticker is weatherproof?).

On my new 2021+ MS, the new RFID sticker works great, on the inside lower right side corner of the windshield. On my older 2013 MS the spot was next to the mirror. Based on the year they have a different "sweet" spots for placing transponders inside the vehicle so perhaps it is better to check the manual for your particular model.
Exactly - different sweet spots for different cars and when I previously tried next to the mirror (in the black area on my car), it didn't work. I tried different orientations and finally gave up and went with the external mounted transponder, but that option doesn't exist for the RFID sticker.

I'm going to try the pano roof since I have glass/sunroof. This is what @halls1030 mentioned and why I came back to this thread.

I held mine out the window or roof until discovering that the spot to the right of the camera worked in my '15 P85D. I may feel differently about the RFID sticker whenever I get one, but I cannot abide mounting the full transponder anywhere in the car.