Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I planned to immediately replace the yolk/yoke, but now having mild second thoughts.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on my second yoke. I had it in my LR and swapped it out for a Hansshow wheel. Then my son wanted it so back went on the yoke until I had the factory wheel swapped in once it became available and used it for just a few days before, I parted with my LR.

The LR found a new home and a Plaid found a new home with me. It had a yoke and then my son gave me back the Hansshow wheel and I put it in the Plaid.

I gave the yoke (aka yolk) a chance. It is not all that it's cracked up to be. I had got used to it, sort of like being a hostage and identifying with my captor. Let's just call it by its real name; Stockholm syndrome. The only place I really liked it was on the highway.

I found the Hansshow wheel is far better than either for me. It is a bit more open on top than the factory wheel and real Napa leather and a better form. Actually, a nice wheel to use. In emergency or spirited driving situations, either wheel is far superior to the yoke. I drive a lot in dense city traffic and tight and the yoke is definitely not the right tool for the job.

The best thing I can say about the yoke is it looks unique. So does a car missing a wheel. If Tesla had done a better job of implementing it, I'd be all for it. Any time I have to turn the yoke more than about 90 degrees in either direction, you are in an area where it is worse than a wheel for me. IF I could have kept all hand movements to steer the car in a +/- 90 degree range of dead center, I'd want one in my 3.

If the S is not your only car, it is even worse. The muscle memory in the S is not the same as where you have a wheel. I am so glad I am back to a wheel again.

While I do not agree with his melodrama, @DayTrippin has my repsect for trying and then making his opion. Same with @bmah I respect his honest experience. Great if it works for you, great if it does not work for you. Too many panties in a bunch over the wheel/yoke. The robe tearing and hyperbole, especially from those who have not even tried, is comical.

80k miles in 2yrs with yoke. Has worked flawless to me. Swap back and forth with the Wrangler - no issue. Same with wife. But that is me YMMV

If I replace with another S it will also have the yoke.

You keep the yoke only for aesthetics and the "cool" factor. Obviously the wheel is safer, so is going the speed limit and slow acceleration out of a red light.

Only you know what the perceived value is but I think you'll regret not getting it based on the yoke envy you're already displaying. Not a knock btw.
My windows are so darkly tinted I don't think anyone is going to see my yoke or wheel at least until I open the door. :cool:

When my wife wears 4" heels, I am not about to tell her that she won't be able to take evasive maneuvers easily in case of an emergency. I just stand back and admire the view.

Maybe that is the approach to take with the yoke. ;)

My windows are so darkly tinted I don't think anyone is going to see my yoke or wheel at least until I open the door. :cool:

When my wife wears 4" heels, I am not about to tell her that she won't be able to take evasive maneuvers easily in case of an emergency. I just stand back and admire the view.

Maybe that is the approach to take with the yoke. ;)

I do not think the 4" heels will fit on the yoke.

I'd like to approach this from another perspective. How many of you actually thought about putting a yoke on your S before Tesla decided to do it? Or did your newfound interest in the yoke and its horrid implementation come about because it was blessed by Elon?

I've had yokes in planes, cars, hovercraft and boats. So I am not a yoke hater. I am just a yoke hater of how Tesla implemented it. They should have gone with variable ratio power steering of steer by wire. What we got was a gimmick rather than something really advancing the state of the art. I was cautiously optimistic when I first saw the yoke online.

I thought maybe Tesla actually took the right approach, or at least a new one, rather than just slapping a yoke on the existing steering setup. I can see where it can be nice on the freeway. For some, they can see the front display better but my Hansshow wheel doesn't block my display anyway. I can see how people might love the subpar materials that are already flaking off. Obviously the feedback from users was so bad that you can actually swap out for a round wheel instead of the yoke.

But I get where people think it is cool, edgy, and love the "look at me" factor especially since there are now so many Teslas around that driving one isn't quite as cool. The original Prius, based on the Toyota Echo couldn't hardly be given away. As soon as they made it look unique, well then everyone could proclaim their green status. So instantly all the Hollywood A-listers who wouldn't be caught dead in the Echo were driving around looking so cool in their new Prius. Well, at least until everyone else was driving them... Then onto a Tesla. Then, rinse and repeat with a new platform until the plebes catch up.

Thankfully there is a choice now. I'd love to see what the take rate is now of the yoke on new orders (not bought from inventory). We have gone from 100% (no choice) to what exactly? That would tell us how successful the yoke has been. It might also give insight into how much only having the yoke from the beginning might have adversely impacted sales, if at all. If they had gone all the way with a variable ratio, or steer by wire (which would likely be variable ratio) or some other way to keep it 1 turn lock to lock, I'd likely be one of the biggest proponents here.

I think with some of the Elon fanboys, Elon could defecate in a jar and call it art and some people would compare it favorably to the Sistine Chapel...

Not sure why the yoke-haters think everyone feels the same way. Hate the yoke - get a round one. Love the yoke - keep it.

I have zero problems doing 3-point turns, emergency maneuvers, or everyday use of the yoke. It is safer in that it prevents holding the wheel at the top where if the airbag blows, it will likely break your wrists and may even slam your hands into your face causing more damage. So one point to the yoke. I like the better visibility, and find it's easier to hold on long trips. I'd say I now have a 60% preference for the yoke but have no problem with round either. It really is far more of a preference issue than one is better than the other.

There are other items that are unrelated to the yoke/round choice (horn and stalks) which have some valid points, but choosing between the yoke or round shouldn't be in the same argument as these are the same for both choices.

Calling those that like the yoke names or style mavins is inappropriate.