Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think I have the wrong Tesla and I kinda hate it, lol

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Toyota Corolla has long been the best selling car in the world up until recently but that doesn't change the fact that the Honda Civic has always been a far superior car. Best selling anything rarely means it's the best product in its market segment.
Superior to me means all things considered which one would you buy... Everyone's needs are different but in the end if a majority of buyers choose product x it is by default superior to them

Superior to me means all things considered which one would you buy... Everyone's needs are different but in the end if a majority of buyers choose product x it is by default superior to them
People make concessions which is why the lowly Corolla is the top selling car in the world in the first place. Lots of people purchase based on reputation alone. A lot of people settle for Toyota's because of their reputation of reliability. Seriously sit in in the latest Corolla and Civic and tell me how anyone could consider the Corolla superior. Honda's always have better driving dynamics but you can't even make a case the Toyota is nicer to be in as it's arguably the worst interior in the compact segment while the Civic interior has an almost premium feel and look to it and I'm not a Honda guy by any means. This is a thread where it's nearly unanimous that the Model 3 is superior to the Model Y yet the model Y sells in higher numbers. Why? Because people are making concessions for extra cargo space and the raised height.

Reactions: alhounos
... This is a thread where it's nearly unanimous that the Model 3 is superior to the Model Y yet the model Y sells in higher numbers. Why? Because people are making concessions for extra cargo space and the raised height.
I agree the 3 is superior in many ways.. but it has fatal flaws to me (cargo space, only 5 seats, too little ground clearance, lack of hatchback) that make it not superior
overall

like many others i imagine.. the Y is our family taxi... its great for hauling crap all over town.. if i have to stop an extra few minutes on a couple road trips because it is less efficient so be it (i wouldnt even be able to make some of those trips especially ski trips because of ground clearance and # of seats in the 3)

Last edited:
I will add, I test drove the S and X LR last week and vastly prefer my 3 LR. X was a creaky, wobbly mess and the S wasn't nimble.

I also test drove a Porsche Taycan 4S and GTS. 4S felt anemic compared to my 3. GTS is much better, however, but not worth 3x the cost of a 3. Particularly with their 0-60 times being with Launch Control, which is not daily driving.

It's amazing to me how many people justify the driving experience compromises of the Y because of the 5% use case of "I might need to put something large in it". Buy your vehicle for your 95% use case, not your 5% and you will be much happier with your purchase. I can count the number of times that I need to move something larger than my 3 can fit on one hand every year. I borrow a friend's truck or rent one for a couple hours. Then I spend the rest of my year enjoying the *sugar* out of the 3. I also have 2 kids, and have taken plenty of weekend trips with them and my wife and all our stuff in the 3 without a problem.

agree, some of us want and should stick with vehicles that provide 95% of what we want
others are ok with sacrificing to be able to use it for the 5% use cases

for me and think a lot of future CT buyers,
the goal is multipurpose or close to multipurpose
i traded in my wrangler for EV, 4x4, space, Tesla ecosystem, close to multipurpose landed on the MY
i will move to CT to get to true multipurpose, back to getting more of my 5% with dune running

I’d say more like..

M3
SR+ …fun
LR …super fun
LR ABoost …can’t stop smiling
Perf…can’t stop laughing

MY
LR…nice
MYP…nicer
Nice list but you missed a few in other markets and the US too. Updated listed:

M3
SR+ …fun
LR …super fun
Perf…can’t stop laughing

MY
SR... boring AF
Y... (MIT version)... nicely boring
LR…nice
MYP…nicer

It's amazing to me how many people justify the driving experience compromises of the Y because of the 5% use case of "I might need to put something large in it". Buy your vehicle for your 95% use case, not your 5% and you will be much happier with your purchase. I can count the number of times that I need to move something larger than my 3 can fit on one hand every year. I borrow a friend's truck or rent one for a couple hours. Then I spend the rest of my year enjoying the *sugar* out of the 3. I also have 2 kids, and have taken plenty of weekend trips with them and my wife and all our stuff in the 3 without a problem.
agree, some of us want and should stick with vehicles that provide 95% of what we want
others are ok with sacrificing to be able to use it for the 5% use cases

for me and think a lot of future CT buyers,
the goal is multipurpose or close to multipurpose
i traded in my wrangler for EV, 4x4, space, Tesla ecosystem, close to multipurpose landed on the MY
i will move to CT to get to true multipurpose, back to getting more of my 5% with dune running

I used to fall into that trap of buying for that 5% use case (typically a larger vehicle). I definitely understand the mindset. I've also learned I am probably taking too much crap in the first place and to travel lighter.

I can rent a bigger car for when/if I really need it. Assuming I didn't have the S which pretty much carries anything I would have needed the Y to carry. It's like carrying a giant rucksack around on your back for the one time a month you do a Costco run with enough stuff it won't fit in your normal backpack.

On a side note, I found my running costs were higher on my Y as well. Not just how it guzzled electrons compared to the 3 but tires wear was worse (even when driving the the 3 more enthusiastically) and insurance was more for some reason. I don't know why it was more than the 3 but it was more than my MS LR or Plaid. People must be crashing the hell out of these things in my area or repair costs are higher than the 3/S/Plaid.

Nice list but you missed a few in other markets and the US too. Updated listed:

M3
SR+ …fun
LR …super fun
Perf…can’t stop laughing

MY
SR... boring AF
Y... (MIT version)... nicely boring
LR…nice
MYP…nicer

I used to fall into that trap of buying for that 5% use case (typically a larger vehicle). I definitely understand the mindset. I've also learned I am probably taking too much crap in the first place and to travel lighter.

I can rent a bigger car for when/if I really need it. Assuming I didn't have the S which pretty much carries anything I would have needed the Y to carry. It's like carrying a giant rucksack around on your back for the one time a month you do a Costco run with enough stuff it won't fit in your normal backpack.

On a side note, I found my running costs were higher on my Y as well. Not just how it guzzled electrons compared to the 3 but tires wear was worse (even when driving the the 3 more enthusiastically) and insurance was more for some reason. I don't know why it was more than the 3 but it was more than my MS LR or Plaid. People must be crashing the hell out of these things in my area or repair costs are higher than the 3/S/Plaid.

I think many people (aka soccer moms) prefer the higher ride height first and foremost over the sporty feel and couldn't care less about efficiency... i do admit its nice not to be looking under the bumper of most of the pickup trucks around here

Reactions: cdub
You end up with seated height about 6" higher in the Y. Still going to be a lot lower than an Explorer or Suburban/Escalade. We have a lot of really tall, lifted trucks here. In the Y I was at eye-bumper level. With my 3, I just look under them. :cool:

You end up with seated height about 6" higher in the Y. Still going to be a lot lower than an Explorer or Suburban/Escalade. We have a lot of really tall, lifted trucks here. In the Y I was at eye-bumper level. With my 3, I just look under them. :cool:
well i proceeded to adding the lift kit and some taller tires plus the higher roof allows u to raise seat more to get closer to 12" higher viewpoint for me than the 3

every inch helps with the hilly terrain around here to see over the next hill - i do agree the stock Y should be a little taller it hasnt seem to hurt my efficiency much if at all

Last edited:
IMO, M3 is too low with annoying “lip” you have to clear to get in and out of and the road noise is higher with its lower ground clearance. My wife and I both have 2023 MYPs which give us the whole package.
Interesting comment about the road noise. I found my Y was louder as it had the big booming open cavity in the rear only sealed by that thin board. Having the trunk sealed from the rest of the car made my 3 quieter than my Y. Even with the S being similar to the Y (hatch and no trunk), it is quieter than either car.

Reactions: El joe and atlchamp
I'm actually surprised that this 2023 Model 3 LR seems to be quieter than my late (Aug) 2022 Model Y P. The hatch on my Y certainly produces more creaks and road noise seems a little louder... or at least a different tone... the 3 LR road noise seem... more "background" noise. Maybe the same dB but the tone is more mixed into the background compared to my Y...

This is a highly personal choice so none of our answers can really address your situation so follow your gut. If you are staying up at night worrying about this then trade it.
I went back and forth mentally between the M3 and MY and I finally picked the M3LR. It was the combination that worked for me. Sporty, efficient, stable. The MY has all the downsides of an SUV (more prone to lean making my family car sick and less efficient) but it has the advantage of an elevated view for the driver. My short wife loves an elevated view and I love the low CG ride-on-rails experience of the M3. Apples and oranges, both tasty.