Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think I just wasted $7,000 on FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's not what they promised it would do at the time you (or anyone else) purchased it.

Is that statement true?

Tesla_Model3_DesignStudio_5.png

It sure looks like that's what it said and it sure looks like someone could pay $3000 for it! My car was ordered in early 2018, I am not the original owner so I don't know what it said when they bought it but it certainly said that at some point.

Clean Technica article is still available if you want to read it for yourself.

Full Article

You would have been better off buying $7k worth of Tesla stock when the 3 came out and sitting on it:) If you even bought at $300 you could have made $13K in profit paid for the non-existent FSD and have $6K left over to reinvest. Or paid $7K and watch it depreciate month to month. Reality is if few fell for the FSD pre-buy Tesla would be offering it post sale for about $2k or less again. I would happily take $2K back or in SC credits for conversion of my EAP down to AP. EAP is pretty much pointless and in no way worth the $2K fee. If I had AP I would not even pay $500 for EAP, prob $50 tops.

At this point I think FSD is a waste no matter what. You're basically just pre-paying for a beta feature with no hard date as to when it'll be functional. I'm personally leasing, and FSD would have added almost $100/mo to my payment. No way they have it functional enough in the next 3 years (2.5 now) for it to be worth that much. (nothing they offer now is worth that much)

Plus like you said the car is so much fun to drive, why would you want it to drive for you?

Maybe if you live in an area where you're constantly stuck in stop and go traffic it would be useful, but that doesn't really apply here so it didn't really have any value to me.

I might be willing to pay a couple hundred bucks just for the auto-park feature, but from what I've read and seen on YouTube that doesn't work all that great anyway, so maybe not.

Automatic switching lanes.. or automatic switching lanes when you hit the turn signal without having to disengage and re engage autopilot mainly. Depending how safe you feel with FSD or more accurately NOA.

I've played with auto-steer a few times and it's a little iffy for me. I don't trust it enough to actually use it unless I'm just showing it to someone and really paying attention. I use the auto cruise control all the time and that's great. Works as well as my BMW did, if not better because it seems to be better at not freaking out and slamming on the brakes when someone cuts in.

I've played with auto-steer a few times and it's a little iffy for me. I don't trust it enough to actually use it unless I'm just showing it to someone and really paying attention. I use the auto cruise control all the time and that's great. Works as well as my BMW did, if not better because it seems to be better at not freaking out and slamming on the brakes when someone cuts in.

Autosteer works pretty great for me but my only problem with it if I had to make one is I noticed that I get complacent with it for example there was a small object in the road that I couldn't avoid because I'm slower at disengaging it and moving the car so I hit the object.

Automatic switching lanes.. or automatic switching lanes when you hit the turn signal without having to disengage and re engage autopilot mainly. Depending how safe you feel with FSD or more accurately NOA.

It's a horrible feature that is unpredictable. In addition you need your hand on the wheel and I can do a better job with less effort and stress.

It's hard to have a discussion about FSD without clarifying what is being referenced. When Tesla discontinued EAP, they split some functionality into standard AP and other functionality plus anything new into FSD. It would be better to use the SAE nomenclature to be more consistent.

1. AP "Today" - Level 2 autonomy
2. EAP "Yesterday" - Level 2 + some Level 3 autonomy
3. FSD "Yesterday" - Promise of Level 4 or Level 5 autonomy
4. FSD "Today" - Level 2 + some Level 3 autonomy with the promise of Level 4 or Level 5 autonomy some point in the future

I find the EAP functionality, which is now FSD functionality, to be very useful. I use Autosteer, lane changing, and Navigate on Autopilot to all be great contributors to more relaxed driving across a number of driving situations I'm in.

It's a horrible feature that is unpredictable. In addition you need your hand on the wheel and I can do a better job with less effort and stress.

It's not unpredictable at all when you just have to hit the turn signal to make it auto switch lanes and its super easy. Do have to have a hand on the wheel though but.. I don't mind that at all.

Reactions: Char
It's not unpredictable at all when you just have to hit the turn signal to make it auto switch lanes and its super easy. Do have to have a hand on the wheel though but.. I don't mind that at all.

It is when it does strange things after you hit the signal. I've had it happen more than once and I can just move my hand. It's a joke feature and a gimmick to justify EAP.

I guess the question I’d like answered is what “feature complete” means and what is a reasonable timeframe to expect that? It seems like it changes over time. This is the latest I’ve seen which seems like he’s backed off a bit from what it was supposed to do a couple of years ago.

Elektrek Article

Given that the FSD follows the car I can see a situation where a lot of people don’t really get any unique FSD features until after the car is sold or wrecked or retired.

It just seems like a terrible way to do business... they are basically saying “buy this NOW because it might cost more later but we won’t tell you exactly what it should do or exactly when it should do it.”

Last edited:
They said it would be "feature complete" by the end of 2019, that slipped. Now they're saying mid 2020. My prediction is it comes out late 2020 and works about as well as enhanced summon, meaning not very good. It's going to be a few more years, at least, until it's actually reliable enough that you don’t have to pay attention.

But even then it'll likely only work in ideal conditions with clearly painted lines and clear weather.

I mean they're basically working on AI here. They want cars to drive themselves in a world designed for human drivers with only slightly more data than our human eyes/ears can give us. (they do have radar and sonar, but those are only helpful in specific circumstances) It's a much more complicated problem then they make it sound. Especially when it comes to the edge cases that humans can parse easily, but machines have trouble with.

• Informative
Reactions: jfinephilly
I guess the question I’d like answered is what “feature complete” means and what is a reasonable timeframe to expect that?

Elon was very clear about what he means by "feature complete." It means that there is more than a zero percent chance that the car will get you from home to work without needing your interaction.

So what that means is they can check the box that all the features are there, but they don't have to claim that they work. Feature complete is supposed to be in the "next few months."

Just remember not to get too excited when they release the "feature complete" version. There's probably only a 0.00001% chance it will get you where you're going.

• Disagree
Reactions: inikkor
I guess the question I’d like answered is what “feature complete” means and what is a reasonable timeframe to expect that? It seems like it changes over time. This is the latest I’ve seen which seems like he’s backed off a bit from what it was supposed to do a couple of years ago.

Elektrek Article

Given that the FSD follows the car I can see a situation where a lot of people don’t really get any unique FSD features until after the car is sold or wrecked or retired.

It just seems like a terrible way to do business... they are basically saying “buy this NOW because it might cost more later but we won’t tell you exactly what it should do or exactly when it should do it.”

Welcome to the cult of Elon. Do you think he is really customer focused? How many CS calls do you think he sat in on before they cut the phone lines? When the novelty wears off people will no longer tolerate the dart board price models or mandatory air suspension for $4K or what ever demand lever they use to jack up prices with each new model. Tesla has no clue how this will come back to bite them but who cares they are saving the world. Best advice when you buy a Tesla is have lot's of cash to buy another before the warranty is up, skip the FSD BS, send in a letter to opt out of forced arbitration and get a wrap or expensive coating because the paint needs it. Oh and let's not forget to buy a can of foam for rattles and pretend it's all normal to justify the purchase. To prove your loyalty refer a friend but be sure to warn them never to call CS and to inspect the car carefully at delivery or even volunteer to deliver their own car to show how dedicated they will be. Then when you sell the car be sure to talk up FSD and the resale value for when it is actually released. "Tesla, were you can buy the future today, and use part of it now while you pine over your next OTA update to keep you addicted. I can't wait for HW3.7 with driver pre-cognitive tech that anticipates your destination while subliminally brain washing you to not notice the price of the 19" wheels almost doubled overnight. Well if Elon can afford it so can you so hit that upgrade button on your app and his friends at Paypal will send you the latest .4 second upgrade or the soon to be announced 50 watt seat heater boost for $300. Believe me you can really feel the difference:) Since Elon learned his CS skills at Paypal we know we can expect best in class service. I mean come on, have you ever called Paypal?

Wait, wrong thread, sorry thought this was the TSLAQ thread..... Please do use my referral code before Tesla changes the program again, it's TSLFAN4EVR#123.

Model 3 Silver with blended partial paint rocker panel fade
Carbon windshield wrap
Plutonium paint coating
FSD ++ EAP 3CPO
J1772 to Tesla adapter and back
12 power walls on order
Early adopter support club
1 share of Tesla stock @ $890
Tesla solar hair plugs on order

Elon was very clear about what he means by "feature complete." It means that there is more than a zero percent chance that the car will get you from home to work without needing your interaction.

So what that means is they can check the box that all the features are there, but they don't have to claim that they work. Feature complete is supposed to be in the "next few months."

Just remember not to get too excited when they release the "feature complete" version. There's probably only a 0.00001% chance it will get you where you're going.
To be clear, Elon himself was very clear on what "feature complete" means, on TWO occasions.

And each of them contradicted the other :D

• Funny
Reactions: WilliamG and EVDRVN