Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think I might stain my wood dash...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They call it "open pore" wood, but I would not be surprised at all if it has some manner of seal on it. Simply staining it might not be possible without sanding it down, and even then you'll have to contend with the seal that's permeated into the open pores that you will not be able to easily sand.

Though, if you're good enough woodworking, you could remove the existing trim and replace it with a wood piece stained to your liking. I wouldn't mind a nice richly stained poplar.

Reactions: gambit48
All wood in a car would be sealed, toned and finished. To get the color that is desired you would tone the wood. This is a layer of color over a sealed piece of wood. You then top coat over that. This is like a car finish, primed, color then clear coat. Not hard if you you know what your doing, most people do not know how to do this type of finishing. So yes you could add a layer of color over the existing finish and top coat it, but you first need to know what finish is used so that the new finish will adhere.

I wouldn't stain it myself... I want the premium interior but I don't know if I even like the wood. I wonder if there will be other options by the time the AWD and performance models come out.

Oh I'm sure there will be, I just thought it would be a nice way to customize / differentiate my car to my liking since the early production purchasers are all getting the exact same interior.

https://www.rpmtesla.com/product-page/model-3-1-piece-dashboard-wood-wrap-material-choice

I thought about staining it too, something dark so it doesn't stand out as much, like the Obeche finish in the MS. But yeah I suspect the wood is already sealed so it wouldn't take stain well.

I don't think there is a product out there that doesn't smell. Oil-based applications tend to have the highest VOCs, so you'd probably want to stick with some sort of water-based acrylic finish. Still, pretty risky.

Reactions: deonb
https://www.rpmtesla.com/product-page/model-3-1-piece-dashboard-wood-wrap-material-choice

I thought about staining it too, something dark so it doesn't stand out as much, like the Obeche finish in the MS. But yeah I suspect the wood is already sealed so it wouldn't take stain well.

I don't think there is a product out there that doesn't smell. Oil-based applications tend to have the highest VOCs, so you'd probably want to stick with some sort of water-based acrylic finish. Still, pretty risky.

Nice! Are these vinyl wraps easily removed again, and would they preserve the surface underneath? (No glue etc.)

It’s 3M vinyl. It will not damage plastic wood or metal as it’s just adhesive. It’s cl ans up easy if you want I pull it off and change He color.

Don’t worry about 3M products. Adhesive residue comes off with windex if it doesn’t all come off when it you pull it up.