Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I want the new 3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like my car but I really want that power lift gate. Does the new one also have a heat pump or no? Is that how they are getting the extra range? I already did a chrome delete, but it's not the same as having factory black trim.

Things I would miss: I like the current center console (it's wrapped though). Door Pocket lights, grocery bag hooks, homelink, free lifetime data.

But the new one is faster, has better range (maybe?)

Is the new Performance Badge Black? (I never did find a wayt o chrome delete mine).
I guess I can dream but I'll probably try to stick to my plan of keeping this car for another 4 years :(

It's 10k+ cheaper right off the bat so thats pretty good (probably makes up the difference of my entire first year of payments on the one I have).

Tesla should offer “Newest Model For Life” kinda like Apple does with the iPhone. Just easy $6969 a month and you can have a new car every time Tesla changes the color of the window trim.

Porsche has a subscription service where you can swap out models for a monthly leasing fee. Tesla should do something like that.

What would be nice, too, is the option to transfer FSD to a new vehicle when you trade your Tesla in on a new one. People would be far more likely to take a chance on FSD if they knew that for $500 or $1000 they could transfer it to their new Tesla. Especially during this period when FSD isn't really FSD yet. A transfer option would eliminate the 'beat the clock' anxiety associated with an ever aging car and no FSD yet. Heck, if they only did this while FSD still wasn't FSD, it would be huge. "We know FSD isn't there yet, so anyone buying FSD prior to our achieving FSD can transfer it to a new Tesla upon trade-in for a $500 fee." Think of how many more people would be willing to take a chance now.

Last edited:
I like my car but I really want that power lift gate. Does the new one also have a heat pump or no? Is that how they are getting the extra range? I already did a chrome delete, but it's not the same as having factory black trim.

Things I would miss: I like the current center console (it's wrapped though). Door Pocket lights, grocery bag hooks, homelink, free lifetime data.

But the new one is faster, has better range (maybe?)

Is the new Performance Badge Black? (I never did find a wayt o chrome delete mine).
I guess I can dream but I'll probably try to stick to my plan of keeping this car for another 4 years :(

It's 10k+ cheaper right off the bat so thats pretty good (probably makes up the difference of my entire first year of payments on the one I have).

You live in warmer climates where the heat pump isn't such a big benefit, and from what I have seen on the Model Y forum, the heat pump is far more problematic than the conventional AC in our cars. And do you really need the extra range? I mean, really?

You can add a power liftgate to your car for a boat load less of money than trading your car for a new one.

If you really want, you can buy the factory trim in black and sell your trim to someone that wishes they didn't black out the trim and probably break even. Not that hard to swap out.

Porsche has a subscription service where you can swap out models for a monthly leasing fee. Tesla should do something like that.
Mostly, Tesla should offer a reasonable lease... I would have definitely taken out a 3-year lease rather than an outright buy had the leasing terms been reasonable... cuz I knew stuff like this would be happening -- rapid improvements year by year.

Reactions: SlimJim
Mostly, Tesla should offer a reasonable lease... I would have definitely taken out a 3-year lease rather than an outright buy had the leasing terms been reasonable... cuz I knew stuff like this would be happening -- rapid improvements year by year.

Why do you need a lease to change cars every 3 years? You're definitely not guaranteed to save money by leasing every three years versus buying and selling every 3 years. Leasing is more convenient, even though you are more tied down with how long you own the car and mileage, and you pay for that convenience. If you sell your own cars, like I do, you come out way ahead financially over leasing.

But the new one is faster, has better range (maybe?).

Better range yes due to denser 2170 cells now... faster is assuming facts not yet in evidence, lowering the posted website times to still be slower than existing cars run with rollout tells us nothing useful- will need to wait for 3rd party testing to see if there's any actual change there.

Reactions: DDHEverything
You live in warmer climates where the heat pump isn't such a big benefit, and from what I have seen on the Model Y forum, the heat pump is far more problematic than the conventional AC in our cars. And do you really need the extra range? I mean, really?

You can add a power liftgate to your car for a boat load less of money than trading your car for a new one.

If you really want, you can buy the factory trim in black and sell your trim to someone that wishes they didn't black out the trim and probably break even. Not that hard to swap out.

+1

Reactions: flyingowl
Reactions: Dolemite
Only thing I like in the new Model 3 is a chrome delete.

Not a fan of Überturbine wheels. I think it’s kinda cool the gray 20” Performance wheels are a 1-year offering and not shared with the Y. :cool:

Not a fan of the center console. I like the more simplistic look of the previous generation console and I don’t use the phone dock (So I don’t want to see it). What I do like about the new console is no piano black surface.

Not a fan of a power trunk. Unnecessary weight and something more to break down.

Do you have a source for this? I mean, it's certainly possible, but there are other possibilities related to efficiency improvements:

Is the latest change in the Model 3 AWD range due to software or hardware?

So, do we know that THIS Model 3 will have higher capacity, somehow?

Was pretty widely publicized- Panasonic improved cell density in GF Nevada starting last month-

Tesla Gigafactory Nevada is getting another battery production line, Panasonic invests extra $100 million - Electrek

Panasonic is also upgrading the batteries being produced at Gigafactory, raising each battery’s storage capacity by 5%, starting in September.”

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Was pretty widely publicized- Panasonic improved cell density in GF Nevada starting last month-

Tesla Gigafactory Nevada is getting another battery production line, Panasonic invests extra $100 million - Electrek

Yeah I haven’t been reading Electrek or following much news, thanks for the link.

We will certainly see. That certainly gives some credence to this range increase being due to something in addition to the heat pump and new Aeros.

The thing is, the 353 rated miles (which is currently just an estimate) is basically exactly what you would expect from Model 3 if it were just a Model Y efficiency platform.

So time will tell (will be a few weeks before the documents drop at EPA). Entirely possible of course that it is a combination of factors.

I’d expect more like 370 rated miles for an 83.5kWh (1.05*79.5kWh) battery at Model Y efficiency with Model 3 aero and weight. (2020 AWD was 332 rated miles as tested (not 322) and that is before any ~7.5% increase due to the scaling factor increase from 0.7 to 0.75.). Maybe we’ll get that “unlocked” in a few months. There is precedent for that with Model 3 LR RWD.

Time will tell.

Last edited: