Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

i was wondering....How many model 3 reservationists will...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand where this thought process comes from but I just don't agree. As long as they offer it and deliver at some point I think that's fair enough. Tesla is a business after all and they need the higher margin option profits sooner rather than later.
It may be fair enough in your view but the press has been quick to criticize Tesla. Why would they give them a pass on the widely advertised $35,000 price point? It will be interesting to see how this plays out since most or all of the first several thousand will be sold to "family members." Is it likely Tesla will gouge their employees and only build the base models for ordinary customers after a few months of production?

It may be fair enough in your view but the press has been quick to criticize Tesla. Why would they give them a pass on the widely advertised $35,000 price point? It will be interesting to see how this plays out since most or all of the first several thousand will be sold to "family members." Is it likely Tesla will gouge their employees and only build the base models for ordinary customers after a few months of production?

First, Tesla seems to do what they think is best and aren't too bothered by the crap that's printed. There will be criticism no matter what they do, but it won't affect the stock price or the tons of reservations.

And how do you see it as "gouging" employees? I feel they are going to build a model with popular options first, not the stripped down basic model. Employees are free to wait to get the car they prefer just like other customers.

I feel they are going to build a model with popular options first, not the stripped down basic model.
Unless the base model IS the popular choice. It would also align with Tesla's stated plan to add complexity and consumer options to the production line as time goes on. The base model may only be e.g. 10% of the the total reservations, but that could be the largest slice of all the permutations.

I really have no idea what trim Tesla will start out with in production and I don't think it is possible to guess with any confidence.

Unless the base model IS the popular choice. It would also align with Tesla's stated plan to add complexity and consumer options to the production line as time goes on. The base model may only be e.g. 10% of the the total reservations, but that could be the largest slice of all the permutations.

I really have no idea what trim Tesla will start out with in production and I don't think it is possible to guess with any confidence.

I don't think you can guess either, I just don't agree with those who say Tesla absolutely has to start with the fully stripped 35K model or doom will descend. They're going to start with whatever configuration they think will work best for them for an unknown variety of reasons.

You may be waiting until you buy a Model S

How fast is your current car ?

LOL - Thought about that....
I would strongly consider the new 4.3s RWD S 75, ff they didn't shrink the RWD Frunk (from the size it used to be).
This latest S 75 is great bang for the buck, but with such a huge car, I want to have that extra cargo capacity.

Current car is a 13 911s at 3.9s.
It's not fast enough to be that fun.
The new benchmark is mid 3 sec with great handling & braking.

I think there are others who plan to wait for the Performance Version.

Kind of true, because I also want track capability, but can settle for a real fun street car.
3.5s would be needed to beat my last cars and the new $70K ICE competitors.

Hugely impressed w/ the 4.3s RWD S75.
But the size & weight detracts too much from the fun.
Figuring a Performance 3 (@ mid 3s) should be the sweet spot.
No problem, it's all relative. The Model 3 with its current specs will be the quickest car I will have had the pleasure of owning.

Reactions: Lunarx
LOL - Thought about that....
I would strongly consider the new 4.3s RWD S 75, ff they didn't shrink the RWD Frunk (from the size it used to be).
This latest S 75 is great bang for the buck, but with such a huge car, I want to have that extra cargo capacity.

Current car is a 13 911s at 3.9s.
It's not fast enough to be that fun.
The new benchmark is mid 3 sec with great handling & braking.

I think there are others who plan to wait for the Performance Version.

I guess it's all relative. the 3 is for my wife and her last two cars have been mercedes ML63 (0-60 4.2 sec) and mercedes e63 mid 3's
obviously the M3 will be much slower but she's absolutely "giddy" waiting for this car:cool:

I just noticed your sig. I take it the "16 Volt" is a typo since you surely would not have bought a 7 second car.
Sure I would, even had slower.
Owned a Smart car, as my commuter, back in 08.
Loved the Smart and Volt, because they did exactly what they were designed to do.
Depends on the role each car serves.
I want the 3 to be my fun car as well as my hypermileing car.
I only want it, because I know Tesla can do it.

Sure I would, even had slower.
Owned a Smart car, as my commuter, back in 08.
Loved the Smart and Volt, because they did exactly what they were designed to do.
Depends on the role each car serves.
I want the 3 to be my fun car as well as my hypermileing car.
I only want it, because I know Tesla can do it.
I doubt the Model 3 can replace the 911s in some of the ways that people care about, but you are in luck: it surely can be a dramatic upgrade over the Volt

• Helpful
I'm flexible personally. I'm a bit torn on whether to wait or not, but they hopefully will have more precise timeframes announced (including the geographic availability in the US) and options pricing available upfront. Since I'm not on the west coast, it could very well be a relatively small wait if I defer for AWD.

I also don't need the larger battery, but I may consider it if performance is improved or if it's not too expensive.

Planning to wait for Performance Model 3, unless Friday's reveal brings surprises. I'm an East Coast, non-owner line waiter, so I'm thinking the delay won't be more than 4-6 months, and Spring delivery might be nicer than Winter anyhow.

Reveal possibilities:
  1. All models and options revealed with prices (may be ballpark for those not shipping yet). Approximate timeframe stated for future releases.
  2. As in #1, but no prices for models not shipping. (May also withhold 0-60/range specs.)
  3. As in #1, but no timeframes.
For me, it boils down to price/performance/timeframe tradeoffs ("Good, cheap, fast--pick two." as they say). Would I pick Perf for +$20K, 1-year delay and 0.3s better 0-60? No. +$10K, 3-month delay, 2.0s better? Yes. Middle cases make for harder decisions. In the absence of Perf details, I will probably wait, unless D or base looks really good, and Perf seems very delayed. Gotta have big battery, though.