Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I will wait or buy Audi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's impossible because the cameras can't see the areas required to display a real-time overhead parking view.

Not sure why FSD would need this at all- it's parking itself, it doesn't need a human-helping downfacing/fisheyed overhead view to do that.
I guess it depends on what you want in a 360 view, but the cameras we have are able to see a full 360 around the vehicle.

I do hope they let us access the other cameras like we do with the rear camera. Even small little boxes to supplement would be nice.

To see other cars? Sure.

To see directly down/next to YOUR car like an overhead parking view on cars with downward-facing fisheye bumper cameras shows? Not so much.

https://electrek.co/2017/05/16/tesla-autopilot-2-0-can-see/
I haven't driven a car with a top down view before so perhaps I don't understand how useful it is. If the new hardware is as powerful as they say it is they should be able to recreate just about anything we want, without a camera change. Of course I do expect that more and more cameras will be added to Teslas as they improve them. Cameras are cheap after all.

I haven't driven a car with a top down view before so perhaps I don't understand how useful it is. If the new hardware is as powerful as they say it is they should be able to recreate just about anything we want, without a camera change. Of course I do expect that more and more cameras will be added to Teslas as they improve them. Cameras are cheap after all.

Doesn't matter how powerful the computer is, it can't "recreate" something it physically can't see because of placement/type/angle of cameras.

Imagine for a moment that the ultrasonic sensors ALSO showed you video... so instead of just a vague suggestion of "the car thinks it maybe saw something 20 inches in front of you but it's gone now" you can instead SEE there's a low curb or parking divider there.

You can certainly live without it (and Tesla drivers do) but it's nice to have in the cars I've driven with it.

Elon already said no change to sensor suite is forthcoming so I don't expect any more cameras anytime soon.

The Audi probably has real leather and cloth as options across packages. It will come with screen mirroring (i.e., Carplay, Android Auto) with traffic-based routing (not in SR and SR+). Your keyless entry with a fob will work 100% of the time. There will be enough physical buttons so you are not menuing through a center screen to find things. You will get an instrument cluster that allows viewing status without taking your eyes away from the road ahead. Your adaptive wipers will work. The fit and finish will be perfect at delivery. You won't be stuck with a small trunk. The heated steering wheel is a must if you live in cold weather and don't want to waste range on cabin heat.

There are a few things Tesla has that your Audi won't too.
Ok I agree on two things: I would love a heated steering wheel as I live in Tahoe (use the heated steering wheel on our MX constantly), and Audi and other manufacturers bringing Tesla competitors is great for all including Tesla. Now on the other items in IMHO so each his own: I do not like cars with tons of buttons vs Tesla screens and find them super distracting as you search around the car for the one button you need (I hate when I rent non-Tesla ICE cars), I prefer the M3 dash vs the MS or MX and other cars as no gauges in front of the steering wheel I find improves visibility and view and for me looking through the steering wheel vs out of my right eye is basically the same take eyes off the road amount, and air suspension is nice sure but for me on a car vs SUV like an MX is just that a nice to have (note I had a Mercedes R (Air) and E (springs) and same opinion). Now as for CarPlay and Android Auto I agree they are nice (Had it in my Bolt) but I will say I am indifferent as it gave better UI but was very crash prone and inconsistent between apps - net net right now I am fine but it would be nice to have the option. Also two other things - diesel gate and Supercharger network - just saying.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I love my Model 3, but my previous experience with Audi was great. My personal concerns would be poor range, no supercharger network and high cost (compared to my 3). I would love a heated steering wheel. The 3 is my first car without it in 15 years. I am spoiled. Enjoy your Audi and keep us informed.Great car!
I think I will wait for Tesla. With my fingers crossed.

• Funny
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Is there a reason the sonars don't work for you in these situations?

Sonar has a limited field of "view" up/down- it's pretty common for it to not see very low objects close to the car (or taller ones either- see all the folks who report things like the car physically hitting lifted trucks using auto-park because it was too high for the sonar to detect)

The front under fairing of the M3 is sloped sharply upward and has more clearance than most sedans in it's class. Looking at the sensor distances can easily replace the need for a front camera which would always be subject to road dirt and debris.

I think I will wait for Tesla. With my fingers crossed.

I liked the SAS and pano roof on our Model S AWD and was holding out for SAS too but broke down when Invited to order the AWD LR version back last June. Have had my car now for 6 months and have enjoyed every minute driving it. Don’t know if SAS would have made the ride feel better (wheel choice and tire pressure probably the main factors) and I haven’t had issues clearing any slanted driveways (no bottoming out) or getting over any big speed bumps our city and some places we frequent are fond of.

I have wondered if Tesla’s strategy will be to introduce an AWD SAS variation with more luxury interior after the SR is out to then bump up the trim of the Model 3 to a more expensive price point to level out profits. It would offer something to compete on that interior luxury level they might be losing out to once other manufacturers come out with their cars. As far as I’m concerned Tesla wins on every other aspect of the car. I personally am just fine with the interior and find other cars dash especially to be cluttered and unnessarily so to the point its a turn off. But lots of potential buyers will be coming from more luxury appointed vehicles and would be sad to lose them over some essentially fabric choices and things like SAS.

Last edited:
The front under fairing of the M3 is sloped sharply upward and has more clearance than most sedans in it's class. Looking at the sensor distances can easily replace the need for a front camera which would always be subject to road dirt and debris.
That's very good news. Maybe won't have too wait so long now. Does that help with the front lower sight look on display?