Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Wish Tesla Offered A Discounted Acceleration Boost!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if Tesla hasn't "sandbagged" some performance in both the LR and P Model Y to cover any competitor's attempt to "out spec" the Tesla. I'd gladly pay for a future performance boost if it got my LR AWD down to 3.9 seconds.

Seems that's an easy way for Tesla to make some cash in the 1st Qtr. Ready, willing, and able to throw some cash at you.
Agree. If they came out with a ludicrous mode or a paid track mode for the MYP that got the car down to 3 seconds I'd be all over that. Having said that, while I haven't measured anything, watching other you tubers testing the MYP seems like it is VERY difficult to actually match the 3.5 seconds Tesla says the car is capable of. Even with 1 foot rollouts. I wish there was the normal track mode the Model 3 gets just to help heat up the fluids to see if it becomes easier to match the 3.5 Tesla suggests is possible.

I wonder if Tesla hasn't "sandbagged" some performance in both the LR and P Model Y to cover any competitor's attempt to "out spec" the Tesla. I'd gladly pay for a future performance boost if it got my LR AWD down to 3.9 seconds.

Seems that's an easy way for Tesla to make some cash in the 1st Qtr. Ready, willing, and able to throw some cash at you.
It already runs 3.9s.

Reactions: alexcue
Agree. If they came out with a ludicrous mode or a paid track mode for the MYP that got the car down to 3 seconds I'd be all over that. Having said that, while I haven't measured anything, watching other you tubers testing the MYP seems like it is VERY difficult to actually match the 3.5 seconds Tesla says the car is capable of. Even with 1 foot rollouts. I wish there was the normal track mode the Model 3 gets just to help heat up the fluids to see if it becomes easier to match the 3.5 Tesla suggests is possible.
I pulled this from the Dragy GPS leaderboards. There are a few other 3.5s runs for the MYP.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210104-111921_dragy.jpg
    Screenshot_20210104-111921_dragy.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 57
I found a little sketchy that tesla wants more money just for sw. Mechanically the car is the same. With ICE cars the mapping has a lot to do with reliability regarding the fuel carasterics around the world, and typically the remapping of the ECU limit or fix the fuel that you need to run to maintain the car safe. Of course it also allows you to adapt to hardware changes on the car like exhaust or new turbo etc.
With Tesla, that does not apply, the sw just free what is already there.

I pulled this from the Dragy GPS leaderboards. There are a few other 3.5s runs for the MYP.
I'm not saying certain cars aren't achieving 3.5 second 0-60s but that it doesn't seem to be repeatably consistent for all MYPs. Maybe I just don't know what 3.5 seconds feels like haha. My dad had a hellcat and it just felt WAY faster when it put power down.

I'm not saying certain cars aren't achieving 3.5 second 0-60s but that it doesn't seem to be repeatably consistent for all MYPs. Maybe I just don't know what 3.5 seconds feels like haha. My dad had a hellcat and it just felt WAY faster when it put power down.
Link to the YT videos?

Every month I've seen MYPs and LR Y w/ boost putting down consistent numbers, 3.5-3.6 and 3.9-4.0 respectively. Obviously there's going to be some variability based upon the surface, traction, battery pack temp, state of charge, etc. If they aren't using SMT or any app that allows them to view the battery pack temps, they are going to have less than ideal times. I've noticed my car being 0.5s slower to 60 if the battery packs aren't at 80F or higher.

The thing I found about the boost, is that it is not just from a dead stop. The change is across the board, Passing seems much different than stock. Now off the line, it doesn't feel sluggish like it did stock. For me, it was a no brainer. It's there if I need it.

Some people are worried about how it'll mess with their efficiency. It's all in the right foot. If you are gentle as always, then no change.

Tesla does play with the numbers with the rollout on the P and no-rollout on the LR. Compare apples to apples.

Reactions: kadify and pt19713
I don’t. In this case the price for a software unlock seems like a poor value proposition.
Subjective.
For those of us that have been car enthusiasts for years, the $2000 is money well spent regardless if it's locked behind a software pay wall. It's no different than any other car manufacturer detuning an engine so that two vehicles in their lineup don't overlap and compete with one another.

The thing I found about the boost, is that it is not just from a dead stop. The change is across the board, Passing seems much different than stock. Now off the line, it doesn't feel sluggish like it did stock. For me, it was a no brainer. It's there if I need it.

Some people are worried about how it'll mess with their efficiency. It's all in the right foot. If you are gentle as always, then no change.

Tesla does play with the numbers with the rollout on the P and no-rollout on the LR. Compare apples to apples.

I didn't know that. Maybe that is what I am noticing. Just seems like the P isn't as performant as it should be considering the 10k price increase.

I found a little sketchy that tesla wants more money just for sw. Mechanically the car is the same. With ICE cars the mapping has a lot to do with reliability regarding the fuel carasterics around the world, and typically the remapping of the ECU limit or fix the fuel that you need to run to maintain the car safe. Of course it also allows you to adapt to hardware changes on the car like exhaust or new turbo etc.
With Tesla, that does not apply, the sw just free what is already there.
Sketchy?

I'm sure none of us know the nitty gritty financial details, but software cost a bundle. Especially if you want to work reliably because your life depends on it. Don't know about Tesla but other cars can have 100s of millions of lines of code. Maybe Tesla has good programmers, but debugging the stuff the most write takes lots of time and money.

Yeah, the code is there. So they shouldn't be able to recoup the investment? So the first car should cost 500 million because hey the code cost that. Then the second car, 5,000 because the software is there now?

Hey, I'd love the boost to be cheaper. Haven't popped for it yet because of the cost but I may soon. But this stuff is expensive and someone has to pay for it.

Subjective.
For those of us that have been car enthusiasts for years, the $2000 is money well spent regardless if it's locked behind a software pay wall. It's no different than any other car manufacturer detuning an engine so that two vehicles in their lineup don't overlap and compete with one another.
My last 2 cars were BMW 5 series that I chipped. Maybe when my MY gets a little older I’ll want more but not now. Those tuning chips were hundreds of dollars and not $2k

Reactions: pt19713
Those tuning chips are aftermarket. Take the difference between an M5 & M5 Competition; roughly 8k difference for OEM.

We can deduce atleast 2k is for the software and the rest for hardware, if that - wheels, blacked out trim etc.

Sketchy?

I'm sure none of us know the nitty gritty financial details, but software cost a bundle. Especially if you want to work reliably because your life depends on it. Don't know about Tesla but other cars can have 100s of millions of lines of code. Maybe Tesla has good programmers, but debugging the stuff the most write takes lots of time and money.

Yeah, the code is there. So they shouldn't be able to recoup the investment? So the first car should cost 500 million because hey the code cost that. Then the second car, 5,000 because the software is there now?

Hey, I'd love the boost to be cheaper. Haven't popped for it yet because of the cost but I may soon. But this stuff is expensive and someone has to pay for it.

My point is, when you buy the car, it should perform on par of its parts capabilities. Tesla seems to limit this capabilities on purpose, just to charge you extra to unlock them later.

My point is, when you buy the car, it should perform on par of its parts capabilities. Tesla seems to limit this capabilities on purpose, just to charge you extra to unlock them later.
No, probably a combination of additional revenue but also to keep sales of the Performance variant high. Some won't buy the P if the LR does 0-60 in 3.9s stock. Keep the acceleration gap wide and P models will still sell well.

I guess it depends on whether you view your Tesla glass half charged or half dis-charged (to coin a phrase).

You could complain that they provided parts that aren't fully realized.

Or be happy that you got better parts than you paid for.