Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I3 Road Rage.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last resort, and not first resort sir.

"Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."
This would have de-escalated the situation immediately.

2aha98n.jpg

Last edited:
@afadeev - are you the i3 driver that tried to block off @Glamisduner ?

Your disagrees are ridiculous - much like the i3 driver.

You can place your firearm into a nanovault that is cabled underneath your seat when needing to disarm. People who break into Model 3s would never look there.

Edit: If you don't have a Blackvue dual channel setup, I would encourage one on top of Sentry mode. I think you want to cover all your recording blind spots and have redundancy.

You can call the non emergency line for your local PD and describe the situation. They for sure will send officers to have 'a chat'.

Stay safe out there.
At my work they are allowed to search any vehicle at any time. So not even the cable tied safe is allowed.

I had a driver do a left turn in front of me making me literally slide to a screeching stop. I honked. He turned around and got ahead of me and pulled into a motel parking lot. Naturally I kept going. He started following me so I drove past my house and a mile to the nearest police substation. For some reason he quit following me then. I am over 70 and long past the point where I want to be fighting. Besides, the SOB following me might actually know how to. I have a CCW but don't carry. I don't think shooting somebody over being an asshole actually fixes anything and I don't want to spend my last years in courts.
Knowing where police stations are along your normal route may actually save your life one day. I had a similar sitch happen in Chicago. I drove right up to the doors of the nearest police station, then laughed watching the angry cabbie peel out as if I was the chief of police or the mayor ;^)

Any other advice is welcome as I'm going to the Fremont factory next month, then up the coast to Seattle. Heard more than once about *some* CA drivers being short-fused.

Looks like you should just appendix carry then, wow.

Unless they do random groin searches. :D

If your work bans blackvues, Tesla’s would be even more effective recording devices? Don’t tell them.. ;)
Thought of carrying my sig on my west coast trip but don't like any waistband options bc I suspect the seat belt would interfere with a clean draw. Got a shoulder rig on order as 'Plan A'. The nanovault also seems like a good 'Plan B' option but that cable is so thin, I'd hesitate leaving it in the car at any stop along the way.

Open to other suggestions...

• Love
Reactions: MXWing
In the end, it makes no difference whether the OP was 100% blameless, or shared some culpability for the confrontation. Just forget about it. Go about your business and get the hell away from the other driver. If the other driver starts to follow you and you have reason to be afraid, call 911 and let the police respond. You still have the video to support your position.

I really do not care what others think about me, my Tesla, or anything else. Let the BMW guy think he got the best of a tree-hugging, wimpy Tesla driver. Let him extol his like-minded friends and relatives about his latest conquest. I guarantee you within 24 hours (likely less) this dude will have some other issue and will have forgotten about this incident. Save your testosterone-laced emotions for something more suitable and enjoyable! :eek: :D

And for those who have suggested carrying a knife for protection, you may wish to research the California Penal Code as it pertains to knives. It is not an easy read, but suffice to say that some knives are permitted under the law if they are worn openly on the waist and carried in a sheath. Blade length is determinant. I believe the limit is 2.5", but has been awhile since I looked into this matter. Concealed knives are unlawful whether on your person or in a purse. The knife definition makes no distinction between a knife used for hunting or fishing and a kitchen knife, pocket knife, or pair of scissors.

Situations like these call to mind Shel Silverstein's song, "The Winner." Smart advice.

Thought of carrying my sig on my west coast trip but don't like any waistband options bc I suspect the seat belt would interfere with a clean draw. Got a shoulder rig on order as 'Plan A'. The nanovault also seems like a good 'Plan B' option but that cable is so thin, I'd hesitate leaving it in the car at any stop along the way.

Open to other suggestions...

Being a lefty, I have no problem with clearing my IWB while belted. Did not consider if I was a righty!

Shoulder rig works but I feel you are better off drilling seatbelt release in any heightened threat situations. No reason to be buckled when charging as an example.

As far as nanovault it’s just security through obscurity. Under the seat is the last place a break and enter person would be looking. I would be checking the trunk, trunk storage and frunk.

An out of the box solution is to switch up to something like a Sig P238 and just pocket carry.

I forgot I have that option sometimes because I’m so comfortable with my shield/iwb setup.

And I like having dual channel dash cam on top of sentry mode. It’s extra visual deterrent.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lucky_Man
MXWing said:
Last resort, and not first resort sir.
"Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

No better words ever stated!

I hope you two are kidding, or just internet-bragging to each other.

Absence of a knife and/or a gun from the above situation, is the only thing that kept it from turning into a bloody news-worthy cluster-f^ck.

:eek:

Absence of a knife and/or a gun from the above situation, is the only thing that kept it from turning into a bloody news-worthy cluster-f^ck.

Actually I was armed in this instance.

Also, cable locking a safe to the car is gray area in CA. The law uses the wording that it's illegal to carry a gun in a utility compartment. If the safe is locked to the car it could be considered a utility compartment. There has not been a court ruling on this yet (that I am aware of). So if anyone seriously goes that route, please first look into the law. Maybe a safe locked up to the car in the trunk, or a safe not locked to the car. I urge people to read the laws carefully so you understand your rights. No they don't make sense. Why would it be better to have a safe not locked to the car? But that is the current state of things. Also SF has it's own set of knife and gun restrictions on top of CA. Please be careful.

• Love
Reactions: MXWing

I’ve seen bad outcomes. You may feel that you are invincible but most are not. We live in a crazy world, getting crazier everyday. God help you if your family or friends come to harm that could have been avoided through careful responsibility. You have no idea, based on your post! I live in a reality based world that “may” call upon a measured response. All the best to you!

I’ve seen bad outcomes. You may feel that you are invincible but most are not. We live in a crazy world, getting crazier everyday. God help you if your family or friends come to harm that could have been avoided through careful responsibility. You have no idea, based on your post! I live in a reality based world that “may” call upon a measured response. All the best to you!

There's some weird misconception about people being armed somehow "enjoy

Actually I was armed in this instance.

Also, cable locking a safe to the car is gray area in CA. The law uses the wording that it's illegal to carry a gun in a utility compartment. If the safe is locked to the car it could be considered a utility compartment. There has not been a court ruling on this yet (that I am aware of). So if anyone seriously goes that route, please first look into the law. Maybe a safe locked up to the car in the trunk, or a safe not locked to the car. I urge people to read the laws carefully so you understand your rights. No they don't make sense. Why would it be better to have a safe not locked to the car? But that is the current state of things. Also SF has it's own set of knife and gun restrictions on top of CA. Please be careful.

I've had to study the laws extensively as part of my permitting process. The reason why a cabled Nanovault is legal is because it is not permanently fixed to the vehicle. Cabled = ok. Drilled into your car = no.

CCW Permits are valid state wide while knife laws vary. You have the law protecting you in the case of firearms but no law protecting you for knives, nunchucks, etc. It is what it is.

What @afadeev has no idea about is concealed holders run into TENS OF MILLIONS of the general public each and every day. All of those holders are well documented, many had neighbors, coworkers interviewed to assess their temperament.

I am absolutely not kidding about "better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

- I keep my Model 3 keycard with me in case something happens to my phone.

- I have a phone case battery. I can’t have my phone die on me.

- I have an extra usb stick in case my teslacam drive fills up.

- I keep my 110v Charger I’ve never used in 3 years of Tesla ownership.

If a mortal threat is upon me or my loved ones, I’m also prepared as well.

It’s all the same really.

There's some weird misconception about people being armed somehow "enjoy

I've had to study the laws extensively as part of my permitting process. The reason why a cabled Nanovault is legal is because it is not permanently fixed to the vehicle. Cabled = ok. Drilled into your car = no.

CCW Permits are valid state wide while knife laws vary. You have the law protecting you in the case of firearms but no law protecting you for knives, nunchucks, etc. It is what it is.

What @afadeev has no idea about is concealed holders run into TENS OF MILLIONS of the general public each and every day. All of those holders are well documented, many had neighbors, coworkers interviewed to assess their temperament.

I am absolutely not kidding about "better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

- I keep my Model 3 keycard with me in case something happens to my phone.

- I have a phone case battery. I can’t have my phone die on me.

- I have an extra usb stick in case my teslacam drive fills up.

- I keep my 110v Charger I’ve never used in 3 years of Tesla ownership.

If a mortal threat is upon me or my loved ones, I’m also prepared as well.

It’s all the same really.
Being prepared for the “unexpected” is not only smart, it is prudent.

@MXWing can you link me to where you found the information on the nano vault being legal when cable locked? thanks!

California Penal Code 25140

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&sectionNum=25140.

Looks like it was amended since my first permit but more or less the same.

Locked container anywhere in unattended vehicle except for center console and glove compartment. Tesla's don't have locking center consoles anyway. A locked container that fits in the console would be legal but I prefer more obscurity like under the seat.

Reactions: Glamisduner
I guess I bring out the best in people.

The dude says I cut him off on the highway, maybe I did, nothing intentional though. 2 Lanes merging on the right right after the 78 freeway merge and lane ending and my carpool lane ending on the opposite side. He did high beam me while I was trying to exit to let me know he was mad. I was doing about 80mph to keep up with traffic until getting a lane over from the exit lane and slowing while trying to merge into the exit lane to exit, so he must have speed up to block me from getting over at about 85-90. He is the blue lights to my right. Whatevs, drivers here are crazy. Said something about his self driving car showed him I was in the wrong? Didn't like my aggressive driving (I assume when I speed around him thinking he is a craze person).

I told him to get back in his car and drive and I have the whole thing on video. He followed me for a couple more miles before turning. Does not seem to be the kind of guy looking for a fight or worse, but you never know.

Debating on reporting him for unsafe driving, but he didn't touch me or the car. Plus there was a shooting down the street earlier today too, a guy barricaded himself in his hotel room and refused to checkout then shot himself. So the police certainly have bigger issues.

Anyways, model 3 dashcam is great.

Dude, you listened to that jackass for a full 1 minute 30 seconds. That's 1 minute 28 seconds too long.

Reactions: Glamisduner