Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IC-7100 Ham Radio Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No that's a mag mount
I can see the cable now, so this must be the 2 m antenna.
I was confused because you mentioned just above that you installed a 10 m antenna?
So I was expecting having a tuning coil at the base, that you might have then kept hidden under the trunk door...
Where did you then installed the 10 m antenna? Do you have any pics?

Note: In case you might consider installing a 12 V power line in your trunk for an amplifier or other tools,
I noticed the following video explaining how to put a wire connected directly to the battery (see from 7:48 to 12:00)

Last edited:
I had another ham show me his setup in a Model S. Mounted the head on the "Piano Black" trim on dash. The antenna used was a glue mount base with a PL259 connector RG316 cable. I placed the mount on the quarter glass left rear window. I did have wind noise from it. Unfortunately I never got to use it. I went overseas for 6 to 8 months, career change (retirement) and marriage. I moved to DU land....Pictures are missing.

DU/K2VDH

I have the plates on but am getting rid of them.
Ohio instituted a $200/Yr EV registration fee and I can't do a multiyear registration on Ham plates because they want to see your license every year. So I went back to regular plates to do a 5 year registration before the fees go into effect. I'll get some kind of plate cover with my call sign

N8JJ

I can see the cable now, so this must be the 2 m antenna.
I was confused because you mentioned just above that you installed a 10 m antenna?
So I was expecting having a tuning coil at the base, that you might have then kept hidden under the trunk door...
Where did you then installed the 10 m antenna? Do you have any pics?

Note: In case you might consider installing a 12 V power line in your trunk for an amplifier or other tools,
I noticed the following video explaining how to put a wire connected directly to the battery (see from 7:48 to 12:00)

I have a separate 5" mag mount for a small HF antenna. It's a little ugly, so I only put it on when I need it.

FWIW. I got the 8.6.1 update last night and immediately got a "Low USB voltage" warning from my scanner.
Tesla is apparently messing around with the current limit on the USB outlets as evidenced by others complaining that their wireless charging pads quit working after the software update.
I moved the scanner to another USB that wasn't shared with a thumb drive and it seems to work.
I'd be curious if anyone has measured the current draw before and after.

I put an ammeter on it and it stayed below 10.1 Amps on FM.
Two anomalies though:
1. On 440, the charge door opens when you transmit. This was stationary, don't know if it would when in motion.
2. I could hear some white noise on the FM broadcast receiver when transmitting.
3. I had the 12V power to the outlet go off for several hours with no error messages. I chatted with Tesla and they didn't see anything but it then it came back on. Reboot had no effect. Rather disconcerting. I have seen another post that said the circuit may reset after 60-90 minutes after a fault is removed but I wasn't close to the 12A continuous limit (and I had fuses inline). It seems like it went off while I was away from the car and not transmitting.

Current Draw FM: 2 and 440 measured at the socket
Receive only 13.91V .63A
10% 13.46V 4.65A
50% 13.11V 7.74A
100% 12.85V 10.11A

ac9611b07caca29642fd9f7d51b4c6d3.jpg
Hey! The TMC forum is huge, but I think I finally found my people!

Follow up:
I got some RFI around 146 MHz and discovered that the wireless charging pad was creating it.
It doesn't matter if the phone is charging.
All I can do at this point is unplug the wireless pad when using the radio.
FYI it's the JEDA wireless charging pad. (the latest one without the data wires)
If anyone has experience with Nomad and has different RFI results, please advise. I suspect it is just generic to wireless charging.

Here is how to mount your antenna and route the coax to prevent water in the trunk.
Keep it down in the trough and don't cross the second seal until the bottom of the trunk.

Attachments

• coax 1.jpg
    coax 1.jpg
    478.8 KB · Views: 204
  • coax 2.jpg
    coax 2.jpg
    658.2 KB · Views: 169
  • coax 3.jpg
    coax 3.jpg
    727.7 KB · Views: 165
  • antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 163
  • Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Update:
JEDA confirmed that they have an RFI problem on "some" units. I thought I even noticed something on FM broadcast for weak stations, but I may be wrong. I don't know how they passed their FCC certification.
I bought the $20 ultra slim wireless charger from Amazon and it works well with no RFI. I had to cut off one of the backside bumps on the stock pad to cut the distance down for a phone with a case.

Follow up:
I got some RFI around 146 MHz and discovered that the wireless charging pad was creating it.
It doesn't matter if the phone is charging.
All I can do at this point is unplug the wireless pad when using the radio.
FYI it's the JEDA wireless charging pad. (the latest one without the data wires)
If anyone has experience with Nomad and has different RFI results, please advise. I suspect it is just generic to wireless charging.
I am really getting a lot of RFI with my 2meter rig. The ammount of noise from the motor is really desensitizing my radio. Always looking for solutions!

I did the same thing mounting an Icom ID-5100 in my 2013 MS60 three years ago. I used the through the glass antenna from Larsen to avoid penetrating Tesla metal, and was able to dress the antenna feed line unobtrusively to where the control head is mounted in my frunk

Bill
Amateur Radio Station KK4C

Exact setup I have. Speaker hidden under glovebox. You don't get interference with the glass mount? I went with a lip mount to be safe but I've always liked the larsen glass mounts.

My next project is to put in an HF with a screwdriver antenna... but not sure about rear trunk lip mounting it.

73's
Jim
n6jra

IMG-2405a.JPG

IMG-2403.JPG

I'd like to use a trailer hitch with a screwdriver antenna for HF. Has anyone done that on a Model X?
73, Bob WB2NVR
Hey Bob, yes, it can be done. You have two options, the senter mount hitch, or custom make a side mount (just weld a 2" square to shoot off to the side with a second hitch) this allows hitch use while the antenna is mounted. That said, I have discovered the Comet HD series mounts work just fine for small - medium screwdrivers.

Hope that helps. 73's

Jim
N6JRA

Interesting stuff, been thinking of putting something in my car but don’t want to destroy it! I wonder how many hams are M3 owners.

73s to all...

Lee

N6LFB
Many more then you would think. Not hard to install with a good radio shop. The main trick is be sure to use a relay off the ACC and 12V battery, then you are golden.

Jim
N6JRA