Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IC display I can't explain...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bmah

Moderator, Supercharger Hunter
Global Moderator
Mar 17, 2015
Lafayette, CA, USA
Alright, I haven't seen this in almost four years of Tesla ownership, and I'm stumped. Model S 85D with tech package plus Autopilot (AP1 obviously), April 2015 build, running 2018.50.6, all systems operational.

I started up the car this morning and I saw, on the IC. very faint grey numerals, between the "toy car" image and the speed. It was approximately where the speed used to be displayed on Software 6.2, inside the huge analog speedometer that I still miss. The number displayed doesn't mean anything to me in particular. Anyway I took a picture of this while I was stopped in my driveway. Backed out to the road...I figured as soon as I got to an arterial road with lane markings this ghost number would go away. Nope...I had the AP lane markings like normal, but still with this faint grey number in the background. Got out to the freeway and it was still there, but by time I got off after a few miles it was gone.

IMG_3201.JPG

Anyone have any ideas what this is?

Bruce.

I had some significant weirdness with CID about 2 years ago on p85d. It did not correctly refresh entire display. Not quite the same as yours, though gave me a variety of differing experiences over a few days. Needed cid to be replaced, though this was after 3 days of diagnosis, including removing and reformatting usb stick used for music (desperation had set in I believe)

I had some significant weirdness with CID about 2 years ago on p85d. It did not correctly refresh entire display. Not quite the same as yours, though gave me a variety of differing experiences over a few days. Needed cid to be replaced, though this was after 3 days of diagnosis, including removing and reformatting usb stick used for music (desperation had set in I believe)

I didn't mention this car had an MCU replacement a few months ago, but yeah. Still the original IC though.

Did the number change? That picture shows it matching your battery percentage.

Ah that's a good point, thank you. The number didn't change as long as I remember, but the distance I traveled wasn't long enough to make the battery percentage change either.

The mystery continues...

Bruce.

Reactions: MikeBur
I didn't mention this car had an MCU replacement a few months ago, but yeah. Still the original IC though.

Ah that's a good point, thank you. The number didn't change as long as I remember, but the distance I traveled wasn't long enough to make the battery percentage change either.

The mystery continues...

Bruce.
There is only one thing that can cause that.....................FM............;)

The mystery continues...

Bruce.
Interesting re MCU being replaced...

Wondering if there’s a comms issue or something that stopped the car, and hence cid lcd display, from going to sleep while charging (did you happen to charge to 89%). That might explain the position and size of this ghosted text. Wouldn’t be an issue as lcd burn in is very hard to do.

I’m guessing not, though do you have any loggers connected to the CAN bus or inordinately high vampire drain at the moment?

Do you use TeslaFi, or similar, to track when car is asleep?

Is this something that can happen only under the "right" set of circumstances? I swear I've only noticed this one time in four years.

Bruce.

Yes, it’s more likely to happen if your instrument cluster OS crashed overnight. Otherwise LCD panels have a special discharge procedure when powering off or resetting. If the OS isn’t healthy enough to send those commands to the panel and sequence the power off properly, it results in this kind of effect (charge accumulation) on the next boot.

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy and bmah
Yes, it’s more likely to happen if your instrument cluster OS crashed overnight. Otherwise LCD panels have a special discharge procedure when powering off or resetting. If the OS isn’t healthy enough to send those commands to the panel and sequence the power off properly, it results in this kind of effect (charge accumulation) on the next boot.

Cool I just learned something new. Thanks!

Bruce.

It's happened to me too when I leave my keys in/around the car, so it's essentially unlocked while charging. In my experience, this means that the IC stays on the entire night displaying the charging status, so I end up with temporary screen burn-in. Has always gone away, and never impacted any functionality. All it was to me was a small OCD trigger