Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE: Would you ever go back?

When you're ready to replace your Model 3, would you consider ICE for your next car?

• Yes. I could see going back.

Votes: 22 6.1%
  • No. Not ever. No way.

Votes: 282 78.6%
  • Maybe. Answering questions about the future is hard.

Votes: 55 15.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I bought the Leaf 7 years ago, I had decided I would never go back. The Model 3 is leaps and bounds beyond the Leaf (which was a zero maintenance car for me, except for tyres). The most efficient transportation involves motors and electricity, the only stumbling block has been battery technology and we are the cusp of wiping out ICE as this technology takes over completley.

I told my wife when I bought my Prius 10 years ago that my next car would be electric. I had problems getting in to my wife’s ICE after the Prius and really have problems now after the 3.

Having said that we will probably keep my wife in an ICE SUV for the foreseeable future. We need 3 rows for grandkids but also need a large trunk space. I may change my mind depending on what the Model Y looks like in the future.

Sometimes you don't have a choice.

Example, I got my car wrapper and the loaner is an ICE. Some people who have gone to the service centers are getting ICEs as loaner cars. Sometimes, I even have to drive my wife's ICE :eek:
From the poll, I think he's asking if you will ever BUY an ICE again. Having to get a loaner or rental ICE is usually out of your control...but the car you buy should be within your control.

I don't even have my Tesla yet, but I can definitely confirm that I will never go back to ICE. I can say that I will miss manual though. Shifting was one of my favorite parts about driving. But I am sure that I will get over that within 10 seconds of driving the Tesla.

I filled up with 3 gallons today, just so I can hopefully time things perfectly and deliver my trade in with an empty tank on Friday. It was quite the feeling to fill up for the last time ever.

We've still got both our ICE cars. Waiting for our ordered e-Golf, which is supposed to be delivered before the end of the year, and for our reserved Model 3 (which will be a dual-motor long-range version once we get invited to configure), according to the delivery estimator still set for "Early 2019", as with all European left-hand drive orders.

I can't imagine wanting to go back to an ICE after having switched to BEVs, but you never know. Up to now I have never had a BEV for everyday travel, only a couple of test drives with various models. Not enough to make a proper final judgement.

Reactions: GSP
I still have a 2 gallon gas can for my lawn mower and snowblower. But someday those will be replaced by electric versions, too.
I used to mow 4 acres, downsized to less than an acre mowable. Was great to get rid of the ol' cub cadet and buy Kobalt 80Volt Mower/weed wacker/bush trimmer/chainsaw. Highly recommend!

This Tesla truck had better be durable, capable, quick to fix and get 500mi of range.

Reactions: GSP and FlyinLow
I think if you haul a trailer or something, ICE is still good for it. Not a lot of people can just have a Tesla semi and be able to park in their garage. For my purpose of daily commute, my M3 is perfect and wouldn't even consider using an ICE if I had the choice. But if I were the person to have to haul stuff over long distances, I'd still go for an ICE vehicle.