Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE: Would you ever go back?

When you're ready to replace your Model 3, would you consider ICE for your next car?

• Yes. I could see going back.

Votes: 22 6.1%
  • No. Not ever. No way.

Votes: 282 78.6%
  • Maybe. Answering questions about the future is hard.

Votes: 55 15.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 3 is at the SC right now to fix the misaligned charge port I spotted during delivery. They put me in an Audi Q7 and said come back tomorrow.

Now that I've experienced whatever this is, apparently the best a century of German ICE engineering has to offer, I don't ever want to drive an ICE full-time ever again. Ugh.
The Germans have a tendency to make everything overly complicated. Lots of features, but not easy to understand or use. I tried to park an A4 in my garage and you'd think I was trying dock the space shuttle or something. Their displays and controls are over the top. They could definitely take some lessons from Apple.

The Germans have a tendency to make everything overly complicated. Lots of features, but not easy to understand or use. I tried to park an A4 in my garage and you'd think I was trying dock the space shuttle or something. Their displays and controls are over the top. They could definitely take some lessons from Apple.
Every square inch of space around the driver in this car is covered by a button. Why are there so many buttons? What do all these buttons even do? For God's sakes, I count 3, 3 of these little scroll wheels around me! One wheel controls the mirrors, one wheel moves the menu options on the infotainment system, and the last wheel controls audio volume. We need 3 scroll wheels? Really? Maybe I dunno wouldn't it have been less confusing for the driver to have 1 scroll wheel that does different things based on context? My God, it really is like the space shuttle inside this car.

My delivery experience with Model 3 has been poor. Unfortunately for that alone, I could see going to a different brand, which might mean ICE.

Also our next car will probably be a full size SUV. I dont see anyone building a BEV for that class of vehicle.

Model X is a full-size SUV.

Delivery will get better. They are trying to scale from a company which sold 100,000 cars a year to one which may be selling 500,000 cars a year by 2020 and 1 million cars a year by 2025. If you think that's easy, then maybe you should pick up the phone and give Elon a call and offer your services.

Model X lacks range in cold weather.

I don't think it's easy - fortunately that's not my problem. My responsibility was to deliver Tesla 75k. They were supposed to give me a car in New condition. I did my part. They didn't.

Those links come to my mind:
Tesla Model 3 Key Fob Free To Current Owners, Included For New
Tesla Model 3 is finally getting a key fob – first images

"Tesla has confirmed that the key fob will be included with future Model 3 purchases (no exact timeline was provided, aside from “when available“). But the bigger bit of news is that existing Model 3 owners will be able to get the key fob for free upon request. This means that current owners who’ve yearned for a fob will be able to receive one at no cost. Again, no specific timeline has been provided to us in regards to availability, so we suggest you reach out to your Tesla contacts to obtain more details."

Thanks for the heads up. Funny that this bit of news has escaped me. After all I visit TMC almost daily.
Great that Tesla finally realized that a fob was nothing evil after all. :)

Now there is hardly a reason left for me to want to go back to an ICE. Then again, it is not the ICE part I want to go back to anyway. It's the shape of my current E46 BMW 330 coupe I will miss, because even though the Model 3 looks good to my eyes, the E46 coupe is the most beautiful car to me ever. If the Model 3 tech was married to the E46 coupe body, this would be my perfect car of all times.

Last edited:
I've noticed a lot of 'disagrees' when someone expresses a preference for ICE cars, or says they might need an ICE car in the future.

That's not really the correct use of the 'disagree' action.

In a poll asking "Do you like ICE or EV?", if someone says "ICE" you can't disagree with their preference. That's like saying that you disagree that they prefer ICE.

You might not share their opinion, but you can't deny that it is their opinion.

Completly agree.. it's just rude.
evs will be the norm, and they are awesome but "fun" ICE cars will be in my stable for a long long while.

I would only go back if forced to, such as suddenly being unable to afford an EV and having to buy some old car.

That said... I have yet to “sell” my wife on EVs. She’s barely been inside the M3. And she’s subject to that rule: the smaller the woman the bigger the car. So if the MY or pickup truck are “redneck sized”, my wife, who’s a short Asian woman; will want one. But if it’s still small enough to get through the cieling of the garage... her next car might be another ICE car... she’s been talking about liking pickup trucks...

As long as she needs a ladder to get inside the Tesla Pickup, we’ll be good to go. Even better if we need one of those fold out ladders to be able to get 10 feet up to the door... :p

Completly agree.. it's just rude.
evs will be the norm, and they are awesome but "fun" ICE cars will be in my stable for a long long while.
I don't think it's rude to disagree with someone's love of internal combustion engines. I also don't think it's rude to disagree with us for disagreeing. A lot of us just find the noise and pollution of an ICE, highly offensive. Especially if it's just for pleasure. I personally own four combustion engines and I'm not very happy about it.

Reactions: AustinPowers
I still have one ICE Vehicle along with the Model 3.

It is a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit (about $55K MSRP).

I LOVED that Jeep. Best thing since sliced bread. I bought the Model 3 for my wife.
But I take the Model 3 daily because my wife would rather drive the "Beater" (the $50K Jeep) and not worry about the Model 3.

I now HATE driving that Jeep. My wife was never thrilled with it because her regular car was a VW CC.
She felt she couldn't keep the Jeep centered on the center of the road and blamed herself.
When she was driving on long trips with me as passenger, I would say why are you so far over in your lane, get back over.
All the Tech in the Jeep seems so feeble now. Lane assist, yeah right.
I will say on the Jeep Auto High Beam DOES work, Auto Wipers work better, the HK Sound System is a bit better and better road noise.
Handling, acceleration, driving assists, visibility, crash tests, and a multitude of other things are much better on the model 3.
Note that the Jeep Summit is based on a Mercedes GLS Chassis.

Now after driving the Model 3, I now realize what a dangerous POS the Jeep is. I really need to get rid of it.
I also now understand why my wife hated it. She feels so relieved it wasn't her.

Problem is, I need something that can tow a fairly hefty trailer. 5K lbs Gross weight. I really could not justify an X price tag.
I also doubt the Model Y will handle 5K towing (I know model X does). Nervous about model X problems too.

So I'm kind of stuck for now. But I can't imagine buying another ICE.
Look for a used model X - maybe a 60D, the least expensive. Not that they come up for sale often as the model X is a great car (to me the greatest!). I am not sure what problems you are nervous? Remember the few people that have problems moan, but the majority with none just enjoy their car.

Reactions: mswlogo
I do... but I didn't know they were still running the preorder spiel. So there is that. Hope you get your order soon!

I have a deposition for a Model 3 and already owns a Model S 100D. I think I will get priority over all non Tesla owners but even I have no idea on when I can order mine. Some rumours about a batch coming to Europe in Feb/Mar next year but they are probably going to the Netherlands and to Norway.

There are still plenty of reasons to own an ICE car, but for daily use, the EV is definitely superior. Quiter, faster (generally in day to day terms), no maintenance, no gas stations etc. Its how 90% of all future vehicles will be.

But I'm a motorsport guy, EV's just don't do that for me. Much like horse riding and push bikes are still "a thing" for some people. People who don't have motorport in the their veins will never get it.

The other problems with EV's on long distances is the charging, I get that 30-40 minutes while eating doesn't waste time, but I am totally limited as to where I can stop, with a Gasoline car I can stop for 5-10 minutes, fuel up, and then eat anywhere off the beaten track, stop in the park etc and not think about the best place to charge. This will improve in the future, its miles away from even close to good unless you like stopping at the exact same charging station every time.

Can't imagine truck drivers would want anything other than the Tesla Semi however.

I’ll bet the Tesla Roadster is more fun. As I did race a Ferrari once and won in mine.

Well, I was a kid once. Oh, scratch that. I'm _still_ a kid in many ways. Ferrari is a childhood dream and I got to test drive some sports cars a few years ago. Porsche 991.1 Turbo S, Porsche 991.1 GTS, Porsche Cayman GTS, Lamborghini Gallardo, Aston Martin Vantage, Ferrari 458 Italia, Nissan GT-R... Most of those cars was a bit underwhelming. But the Ferrari was so cool. The noise it made was amazing. I don't care for engine and exhaust noices anymore since I became a Tesla driver but the Ferrari is the exception to the rule. Not even the V10 in the Lambo was anything I cared for and the Turbo S which does 0-100 km/h in 2,9 seconds sounded like a big vacuum cleaner.

So, give me a red Ferrari and I'll be happy. I won't drive it much though and it won't hurt the planet much. :D

Reactions: TT97 and dhrivnak
There are still plenty of reasons to own an ICE car, but for daily use, the EV is definitely superior. Quiter, faster (generally in day to day terms), no maintenance, no gas stations etc. Its how 90% of all future vehicles will be.

But I'm a motorsport guy, EV's just don't do that for me. Much like horse riding and push bikes are still "a thing" for some people. People who don't have motorport in the their veins will never get it.

The other problems with EV's on long distances is the charging, I get that 30-40 minutes while eating doesn't waste time, but I am totally limited as to where I can stop, with a Gasoline car I can stop for 5-10 minutes, fuel up, and then eat anywhere off the beaten track, stop in the park etc and not think about the best place to charge. This will improve in the future, its miles away from even close to good unless you like stopping at the exact same charging station every time.

Can't imagine truck drivers would want anything other than the Tesla Semi however.

I agree with what you say and for us the charging stops isn't a problem although I aknowledge that for others it can be. Depends on where you live, where you typically drive, how often you go on long drives etc.