Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idea for resolving FWD door clearance in home garages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given all of threads on garage re-works / clearance issues and my own personal experience - it seems like there is a relatively simple solution that would be somewhat consistent with the way horizontal clearance specifications work. Why not let users define the ceiling clearance height in inches for a given location. This would allow us to have a consistent door opening experience in the home garage (whether or not the garage door is open). In my case - this would allow me to resolve the issue of rails and garage door opener that are not detected by the sensor when my garage door is closed. Potentially, Tesla could augment this with height constraints in other locations frequented by owners (super chargers in indoor locations).

I believe they just added this feature to thr latest update in setting height by location. I haven't tried it yet.

Given all of threads on garage re-works / clearance issues and my own personal experience - it seems like there is a relatively simple solution that would be somewhat consistent with the way horizontal clearance specifications work. Why not let users define the ceiling clearance height in inches for a given location. This would allow us to have a consistent door opening experience in the home garage (whether or not the garage door is open). In my case - this would allow me to resolve the issue of rails and garage door opener that are not detected by the sensor when my garage door is closed. Potentially, Tesla could augment this with height constraints in other locations frequented by owners (super chargers in indoor locations).

Appart from the fact that the latest release doesn't seem to work for me - my understanding is that it is still dependent on sensors to detect opening clearance. If you don't like the outcome you can indicate that you want the doors to fully open in that location. I am thinking that there are edge conditions the sensors will never detect so allowing the user to set the clearance solves the problem.

The specific language of the release is a follows -

"When model X is in an area with a low ceiling, the falcon Wong doors and rear lift gate will open to a new height that is low enough to avoid obstacles overhead yet high enough to allow access to the cabin.

After the doors open to this lower height, an additional button will appear on the touchscreen. ... If you tap this button the doors will continue to open until they detect an obstacle. If you choose to open the doors fully, you can specify that model X always open the fwd doors and lift gate to thehigher position at that location by selecting " Always open fully at this location""

As I read it, the solution is still fully dependent on the sensors identifying obstacles. I am thinking they will never catch all conditions in a home garage so let the user be explicit.

Someone please correct me if you have had a different experience with this new capability or if I have misunderstood.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a setting on the touchscreen for inches of clearance for the Falcon Doors. That would imply that owners need to get out a measuring tape every time they park in a low clearance area. It would spread a lot of FUD and imply that the doors are not easy to use.

Tesla is more like Apple than Android regarding this. Give users the settings they need, but make them intuitive and as simple as possible while still achieving the desired functionality.

Reactions: RIZE and FarmerDave
I just think the solutions to date are way to complicated and taking too long. I doubt whether the sensors will ever detect my garage door rail. Until I thought there was a solution, I hung a kite over the sensor in the garage at approximately the right height. It worked, but it seemed way to much like a kludge and I took it down when there seemed to be progress on the issue. As it stands, I know how exactly far off the ground the lowest obstruction is and should be able to specify that. That singular data point should enable the doors to behave properly without the sensor input. Just asking for Tesla to use the KISS principle.

• Helpful
Reactions: Poiuy09