Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idea regarding Auto Pilot and lane-splitting motorcycles: Auto Move Over

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autopilot in v10 is just getting better and better.
One nice feature would be if it could be nice to motorbikes lanesplitting. I like to be nice to motorbikes on traffic on the freeway in la and give them a little space. I would normally pull a little to the side of safe to do so. Would be cool if autopilot could do this. Help give Tesla drivers a good name!

One nice feature would be if it could be nice to motorbikes lanesplitting. I like to be nice to motorbikes on traffic on the freeway in la and give them a little space. I would normally pull a little to the side of safe to do so. Would be cool if autopilot could do this. Help give Tesla drivers a good name!
I agree in principle. I have to disable Autosteer all the time to let motorcycles go by. However such a feature could be extremely dangerous if the system moves over to let a motorcycle by and then moves back to the center of the lane before they have passed.

way too risky. Drivers would have a near heart attack if their car just started to veer towards the median wall while in the car pool lane doing 75+ mph. That would cause them to jerk the wheel back in the other direction.

Not gonna happen, particularly since CA is about the only state that allows lane splitting.

btw: according to this driving instructor, motorists should hold their lane.

2. Hold Your Lane Position

Lane-splitters need drivers to pilot their vehicles predictably to safely ride down the white line between traffic. As you see a motorcyclist coming up relatively fast on the white line at either side of your vehicle, hold your position in the center of the lane to allow the rider safe passage.

“When faced with lane-splitting motorcycles, continue your normal driving pace and don't move out of the way to accommodate the motorcycle,” motorcycle instructor and Director at Throttle Basics, Inc., Felicia "PeteyVee" Verrett, advised. “The motorcyclist will make the adjustment.”

With your predictable positioning and steadfast actions, the motorcyclist can make all necessary speed and position adjustments to move freely between vehicles on nearly any roadway. This also allows motorcyclists to avoid potentially dangerous roadway conditions, including uneven pavement and potholes.

Here's the Right Way to Accommodate Lane-Splitting Motorcycles

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
I think people who move over dramatically for motorcycles are plain stupid. You know what I'm talking about.

Motorcyclists should expect no one to move over for them and ride as such. I do move over a little if I notice them, but from a motorcyclist's pov, he has no clue whether I moved over on purpose or by accident since driving is nonverbal. He can't assume I won't suddenly move back towards him.

I think it's best if the Tesla simply keeps centered in the lane for motorcyclists. Predictability is much preferred for motorcyclists IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: destructure00

I think they just can't rely on their vision system yet to do deviate from the center of the lane safely, because they don't yet detect all pedestrians, bicyclists, motorcyclists and so on.

For example here in Finland, on a small road you're supposed to keep to the right of your lane, so you don't get too close to opposing traffic. But pedestrians and bicyclists share the road on the right edge, so Tesla can't yet fully obey the law unless they're 100% sure they detect every pedestrian and won't run over them on the right. So just driving in the middle is best for now. They did introduce the first such feature now with the big rig avoidance, but even that seems a little shaky still.

Maybe the bigger neural nets for the FSD computer provide reliable enough vision for them to do some of this? I guess we'll see when they eventually turn those on.

Totally agree with OP. As far as I can tell, v10 shades over in the lane when passing a truck or bus. It’s not dramatic, but it’s noticeable. I don’t see why, when on a highway (in California, land of, what, >100,000 Teslas?) in the left-most lane, it couldn’t do the same for lane-splitting motorcycles. Would dramatically lower the number of disengagements I have.

I think they just can't rely on their vision system yet to do deviate from the center of the lane safely, because they don't yet detect all pedestrians, bicyclists, motorcyclists and so on.

AP is only able to reliably detect and move over for cute things, like ducks and rabbits... (PR disaster for Elon if a family of ducks got run over by AP). Humans, Motorcyles... meh.

Tesla Autopilot detects and avoids family of ducks caught on video, owner says - Electrek
Tesla-Autopilot-avoid-ducks.jpg

I am pretty sure lane splitting is only legal in California. I don't know why other states don't allow it at least in daylight hours. I rode my motorcycle in Georgia in summer during rush hour once. It was not fun. I could have had heat stroke since I always wore a jacket for protection.

Back to the point... any motorcyclist splitting lanes does not want to hit you mirrors with their handlebars because their hands are on them. Motorcycle parts are expensive too. No need to move over, just don't move closer. They know how much space they need to get through.