Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ideal or Cost Effective Home Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We installed 15amp powerpoint out the front on the side and use the charger that comes with the car

We get 24km per hour from the 15amp
We charge overnight every 3-4 days
We do about 50-100kms per day
Single phase
It’s been adequate and enough so far

I've ordered my model 3 SR+ and now I'm trying to grasp the best/ideal/cost effective (I know this all might be different answers) way to setup charging at home.

I'd say 50km a day would be normal. though I'd probably want to future proof and my house is pretty limited circuit wise (pretty sure there are 4, lights, AC, upstairs and downstairs) noted that my house is flipped with the kitchen and living areas upstairs and the bedrooms and garage downstairs.

Also what are peoples experiences with electricians and costs

Attachments

• 5B451F9D-4581-47A0-95A8-C0190A4EE1EA.jpeg
    5B451F9D-4581-47A0-95A8-C0190A4EE1EA.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Helpful
Reactions: Maximillan
Hi, I am using the UMC for home charging. Had the sparky install a 10A outdoor plug under cover in the carport semi under our house - Brisbane - you get the drift. Should I have a surge protector fitted? I am seeing a few YT vids saying that it is wise to protect the car electronics/charging aparatus.

Thoughts?

I do it manually by leaving the car plugged in and charging turned off in the Tesla app. If it looks sunny outside and I'm producing excess electricity on my solar, I start charging the car at around 14A by regulating it via the Tesla app.
Did a test last weekend. We have a 9.8kw solar system. The Enlighten app for Enphase. We could meet our houses needs, run the dryer at the same time as charging and have the amp setting at 24 and the solar was still meeting all these needs exporting to the grid. PS and it heated our hot water before this through the catchpower diverter