Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ideas of how to avoid the EV tax credit cancelation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The most proactive action I can think of to try and save the EV tax credit is the following:
  • Put together the bullet points in layman's terms for the following ideas
    • Canceling the EV tax credit while allowing big oil to keep their major tax breaks is wrong and creates uneven market
    • Many high tech jobs are being created by EV industry in the US. I suspect this sector has huge growth potential, unless it's stifled. I think these are the types of jobs that we want more of?
    • The current credit plan has cancelation built in (200K max per manufacturer), so it will end itself in due course
    • EV tax credit helps middle income taxpayers not just big companies
    • EV market is on the cusp of rapid growth, US is behind the curve of purchasing
    • EVs is most rapidly growing car segment = votes
    • ???
  • Get these bullet points out and in front of the most people possible. All the EV YouTube folks, at the upcoming TeslaCON, in front of all GOP congress members by as many people as possible. I don't think that we can just assume someone else will fix this or that the bill will change. GOP needs a win, and this bill seems likely to be it. Also the GOP leadership are probably being inundated by every lobbist and donor alike because of their pet loophole. So with so much noise, the EV community really has it's work cut out to not have this EV credit chopped. I consider it a hail Mary, but worth trying. Any volunteers?

• Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic
Agree with all of your points. We need to invest in the future, and the tax credit does that, even it's seen as "too expensive" for the average taxpayer right now. It certainly helps companies like Tesla and other EV start-ups compete in a market that heavily favors ICE vehicles at the moment. It's shortsighted and foolish to not be willing to assist a green, rapidly growing industry from blossoming, especially when the leader is an American company that manufactures in the states. Taking away the credit will also definitely make many buyers get less options on the car, lowering Tesla's profit margin, and generally slowing the economy by decreasing the purchase price of EVs and making buyers hold on to their money until more information is known about future versions. It's not as simple as "removing the credit is clearly beneficial for the average American" for these reasons.

Another point to add to your list was mentioned by a clever poster (I can't remember who to give the credit to - sorry). He/she said that revoking the fed credit could essentially make blue states like California greatly increase the state EV credit to stick it to the federal government. California could further remove itself from policies it largely didn't vote for, boost Tesla sales, while getting back some of what it lost financially through state sales tax. It would also be helping a green company like Tesla within its borders grow even faster, another great thing for the state. This "Caliexit" thing (which is nonsense today but could eventually spiral if not contained in a devisive political climate) is only going to gain steam if sweeping changes are forced upon it.

Another point to add to your list was mentioned by a clever poster (I can't remember who to give the credit to - sorry). He/she said that revoking the fed credit could essentially make blue states like California greatly increase the state EV credit to stick it to the federal government. California could further remove itself from policies it largely didn't vote for, boost Tesla sales, while getting back some of what it lost financially through state sales tax. It would also be helping a green company like Tesla within its borders grow even faster, another great thing for the state.
I among others suggested this strategy and it is more than a pipe dream. In fact there has been proposed legislation in California to INCREASE the current $2,500 state REBATE (not tax credit but a straight REBATE) which was tabled for further study prior to the proposed Cut, Cut, Cut Tax Plan. But I think that if the Federal budget is approved, this California plan could be put back on the front burner, just to stick it to the current Administration. We are talking about California jobs here, folks! California could give a $7,500 to $10,000 REBATE on an EV sale on a vehicle produced primarily in California to California residents. The State could also reduce the sales tax to out of State buyers who come to California to pick up at the factory (but of course they would not get the resident REBATE). This program could be funded by increasing State personal income tax which could be structured so that it is not more than the proposed reduction in the Federal income tax rate. This would help reservationists like @TEG realize their dreams, Make California Green Again, protect and expand the California job market, and be the Tail that wags the Federal Dog.

The second step is to vote out of office some of the incumbent California Representatives in Congress, primarily in Orange County and Central Valley. Vote for any party you wish, but one who puts your interests ahead of big oil and big agriculture, wealthy, non-productive oligarchs, and special interests. Put the bad guys out of office and put someone in who will represent you!

We can do this! Although the current tax plan looks dire and may be approved, I think it also provides the impetus, opportunity, and motivation, at least here in California, to effect significant changes in the way States do business. I am not in favor of a "Calexit" strategy. This is the Russian plan to weaken the influence of the US as a whole. California depends on the rest of the US as does the rest of the US depends on California. We are stronger together! What we need is a "CalTrumpsIt" strategy. We Californicans can pull this off. We have the resolve, the diversity resources, and the economic might to do it. Go TESLA! #RESIST

Now the M3 is not BUT the MS and MX that most of the credits have been given to are expensive luxury cars for people much of the country would call rich or at least well off. Median income is mid $50k annual, MS base price is half again that figure and many optioned up to more than double.
How about a middle ground? Income caps and roll back fossil credits. Compromise.
Government gets it's money from the people, people are too eager to see the government spend more. Even if you tax corporations more they just pass the cost on to us.

Now the M3 is not BUT the MS and MX that most of the credits have been given to are expensive luxury cars for people much of the country would call rich or at least well off. Median income is mid $50k annual, MS base price is half again that figure and many optioned up to more than double.
How about a middle ground? Income caps and roll back fossil credits. Compromise.
Government gets it's money from the people, people are too eager to see the government spend more. Even if you tax corporations more they just pass the cost on to us.
It's unlikely that Congress will modify the existing credit; it's more likely to be repealed entirely or left in place as is. Just trying to bring some realism to the discussion.

I think an important argument in favor of leaving it alone is that many companies and taxpayers have made decisions based on existing law, and the introduction of the House GOP tax bill has introduced tremendous uncertainty around the tax treatment of electric vehicles. That used to be an argument that the House GOP understood. Maybe they still do.

Reactions: tomas and Sweet OJ
Get. Rekt.

The state already poaches quite enough of my income, thank you.
Psychologist Jean Twenge described Millennials as "Generation Me" in her 2006 book Generation Me: Why Today’s Young Americans Are More Confident, Assertive, Entitled—and More Miserable Than Ever Before. In 2013, Time magazine ran a cover story titled Millennials: The Me Me Me Generation. CALIFORNIA, worth every centavo and I have paid taxes here twice as long as you have.

Reactions: Tonymil and tomas
Psychologist Jean Twenge described Millennials as "Generation Me" in her 2006 book Generation Me: Why Today’s Young Americans Are More Confident, Assertive, Entitled—and More Miserable Than Ever Before. In 2013, Time magazine ran a cover story titled Millennials: The Me Me Me Generation. CALIFORNIA, worth every centavo and I have paid taxes here twice as long as you have.

k cool. Now feel free to peruse the pages of those works and tell me which line details the dearth of care I have for that particular subject?

• Funny
Reactions: Ivan.R
If CA eliminated the tax, depending on the EV purchased, it may actually be better than the 7.5K.

That said, given the defeat in the various state races today, I'm wondering how hardline on the bill the republicans are going to be. I think the odds are not bad that it will be dropped from the bill.

It would be nice if California just eliminates sales tax for EV's like some other states.
That'd be nice…

Califronia eliminating a tax? Now I have heard everything. They wouldn't even agree to the out of state sales tax exemption so more Tesla owners could take delivery at the factory.
Why should we eliminate the tax? The higher taxed nations tend to have higher standard of living, the most satisfied citizens, and the strongest economies. California didn't become a world leader by following "what other States do". Other States have regressive tax systems, legalized discrimination, welfare for the wealthy, and policies consistent with the 19th Century, Nope. I don't want to do what other States do. I see that a repeal of the Federal EV tax credit as a real opportunity for California to take national leadership in promoting the EV green revolution - tax increases to fund adoption of the EV concept..

Why should we eliminate the tax? The higher taxed nations tend to have higher standard of living, the most satisfied citizens, and the strongest economies. California didn't become a world leader by following "what other States do". Other States have regressive tax systems, legalized discrimination, welfare for the wealthy, and policies consistent with the 19th Century, Nope. I don't want to do what other States do. I see that a repeal of the Federal EV tax credit as a real opportunity for California to take national leadership in promoting the EV green revolution - tax increases to fund adoption of the EV concept..

You have the right to your opinion. I'll vote against it, of course.