Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idle fee at empty Supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I speak only for myself.

Idle fees/congestion charges--whatever you wish to call them are good. What is not good is how Tesla goes about assessing them.

Did Tesla change its policy so that idle fees are charged regardless of vacancies? Fine by me.

Did Tesla not change its policy so that what is disclosed on their website is still accurate? Fine by me.

What is not fine by me is that the anecdotes on this thread are diametrically opposite to the policy as stated on Tesla's website. This situation is exacerbated by the live chat person groping for air in trying to understand the customer's concern and resolve it. Clearly the poor employee has zero customer service experience and does not have access to Tesla's web page where the policy is clearly spelled out. This is 100% on Tesla.

Look, Tesla, if you are going to implement a policy change, notify us in advance! Send us an email. Send us a text message and/or something on our Tesla app that will nag us to open it up and read the news. Issue a press release. Have Trump tweet it to the world. It does not matter. Just let us know. We can adjust our behavior accordingly or not. But at least we are forewarned.

Tesla hasn't changed the policy on the idle fee or it would have said so. It's just getting erroneous data about the supercharger stall use, as we all see in the cars when the stalls reported occupied bears no relation to the stalls actually occupied. This is compounded by many customer service reps knowing less than the average user here, which has been true for years for many issues not just this one. We used to have a thread about stupid things Tesla people have said.

Remember Hanlon's razor-- Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

I honestly don’t get how this is about self importance.

I realize the current climate of discourse has everyone scrambling to give a Trumparian dismissal to any idea that doesn't align with their personal agenda; I'd encourage you to not conflate Tesla's screw up (and I agree its a screw up, one that is a result of incompetence rather than malice) with the discussion spur that lead to the notion of staying plugged in as an indicator of someone's elevated self-importance.

To train owners in effectively sharing superchargers, it might be better for Tesla to always charge idle fees, starting a few minutes after a charge has been completed - and get owners used to charging and then disconnecting.

With the increasing number of new vehicles being delivered, and some supercharger locations already having capacity problems, Tesla probably should re-evaluate the supercharger policies and implement a few changes to increase availability to more vehicles.

This is an area where Tesla has a huge advantage over the other manufacturers relying on 3rd party chargers - Tesla has control of the chargers and the onboard software - and can implement changes in policy more easily.

As I have seen several SC located in busy shopping malls many of the stalls are marked as mutli-use parking (30 mins general parking) stalls as well.. Could this be the case where the Stalls which are not marked for general parking are the only ones counted towards a busy SC?

Reactions: BerTX
Doesn't matter how many cars you see connected to the chargers. It matters how many chargers Tesla thinks are in use. Check the Supercharger info in the car to see if it matches reality. Tesla may also count nonfunctional chargers as occupied. Hopefully that shows up in the car display, but you probably won't have a visual indication. That is something that could make every idle fee discussed so far legitimate.

If the Supercharger info in the car shows <50% occupancy the entire time you're there and you get charged an idle fee then you should get a refund, per Tesla's stated rules. Given the complaints so far, Tesla does seem a little clueless about occupancy and how it affects idling fees.

Doesn't matter how many cars you see connected to the chargers. It matters how many chargers Tesla thinks are in use. Check the Supercharger info in the car to see if it matches reality. Tesla may also count nonfunctional chargers as occupied. Hopefully that shows up in the car display, but you probably won't have a visual indication. That is something that could make every idle fee discussed so far legitimate.

If the Supercharger info in the car shows <50% occupancy the entire time you're there and you get charged an idle fee then you should get a refund, per Tesla's stated rules. Given the complaints so far, Tesla does seem a little clueless about occupancy and how it affects idling fees.

I'm not sure that would technically make all these supercharger fees "legitimate". It would explain how Tesla thinks they are 50% full when they are not, but if they are not actually 50% full, then they are not legitimate. I do not think Tesla should put the onus on the end user to investigate what their systems say the occupancy is by checking the NAV, this is a ridiculous requirement when it comes to a user experience perspective, when you can a) just look at the station to see what the occupancy is or b) Tesla could notify the user whether or not they are being charged through the app, but choose not to.

In my case at Stateline, none of the stalls were coned off or out of service.

I think Tesla needs to remove the ambiguity. I don't get why they don't build this functionality into the app. I would love to just open the app and know whether or not I am being charged an idle fee. I woudl love the "charging is completed" notification to come with an additional "you will be charged an idle fee if you don't move the car in 5 minutes" if that's the case. Otherwise, just charge us all the fee and save yourself all these customer service headaches.

FWIW, now you can also see the supercharger availability in the Tesla app charging section. So when you can't be bothered to move your car, you can pull out your phone, open the Tesla app, click on the battery, scroll down and see how full Tesla thinks the station is and then press your luck.

Reactions: RedOctober
Keep it simple.

Get all owners used to charge - and then move.

And, when possible, Tesla should make it easier to detect when spots are not working or blocked by non-connected vehicles - and then correct the situation (repair the charger or tow the vehicles away).

Those solutions should be much cheaper and faster to implement than to add more charging spots in order to overcome broken or blocks spots...

And, it might help to require all owners to accept Terms and Conditions for Supercharger Usage - making it clear how Tesla expects owners to use the superchargers, and that owners failing to do so could suffer a penalty (loss of free supercharging, or suspended supercharger access).

Where in the app can one see how many stalls are in use? I’m at a supercharger now. The touchscreen shows 4 stalls available (which is correct). But I can not find this information anywhere in the app. I have ver 3.8.0 of the app on my iPhone.

Where in the app can one see how many stalls are in use? I’m at a supercharger now. The touchscreen shows 4 stalls available (which is correct). But I can not find this information anywhere in the app. I have ver 3.8.0 of the app on my iPhone.
Go to the Charging screen.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181227-095939_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20181227-095939_Tesla.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 113
Reactions: TQCLove

I’m in the same boat; I don’t have supercharger visibility yet on my app. It seems like it’s the software in the car that enables the functionality and not the phone. I stopped caring about how Tesla rolls out updates years ago so I don’t actually know what might be coming, but I assume you (and I) will get our cars updated soon enough.

I don’t get the charging stall info in my app. I wonder if it requires that the car be running s/w version 9 in order for the app to show how many stalls are free. My car is running ver. 8.1 and I intend to keep it on ver 8.1 as long as possible, until Tesla gives back the features removed by ver 9 (I keep denying installation of the recent s/w download my car received when my touchscreen was replaced a few weeks ago).

Reactions: Rocky_H
I don’t get the charging stall info in my app. I wonder if it requires that the car be running s/w version 9 in order for the app to show how many stalls are free. My car is running ver. 8.1 and I intend to keep it on ver 8.1 as long as possible, until Tesla gives back the features removed by ver 9 (I keep denying installation of the recent s/w download my car received when my touchscreen was replaced a few weeks ago).

I'm pretty sure you need 8.48 to see the supercharging info in the app. I'm still on 8.42

Yes, you need one of the releases from December 2018. You also need version 3.8.0+ of the phone app. If you don't have both, you won't see the Supercharger stall status in the app.

Here is the resolution of my issue with Tesla email support. To be clear, the lessons I've learned from this are a) Do not count on the "50% rule", just move the car and b) Tesla tech support isn't clear about what the current policy really is.

Me:
Hello, I was recently charged $10 for an idle fee at the Stateline, NV supercharger. However, when I plugged in prior to breakfast, there were only 3 cars plugged in out of 14 spots. So since this was less than 50%, I didn't rush back to my car when charging completed, as I was finishing breakfast. When I returned to the car, it was still only 3 other cars (4 total) plugged in out of 14. I still received a $10 idle fee charge. The language on your website states that the idle fee is only charged when the station is 50% occupied, so I believe I should be refunded. Also, the app did not notify me of a fee being charged. Thank you,

Tesla:
Hello Jonathan,

Thank you for reaching out regarding your supercharging idle fee.

Upon review of your account I do see that we have already waived your first idle fee. We at Tesla issue this credit as a courtesy for our new owners. Due to this refund we will not be refunding the current idle fee you are requesting.

We value you as a member of the Tesla family and as such want to make sure everyone is able to use the supercharging network, which is why we ask you move your vehicle when fully charged to allow space for the next vehicle. To be clear, this is purely about increasing customer happiness and we hope to never make any money from supercharging idle fees.

Below is a link to our supercharging FAQ’s. Idle Fees can occur with only your Tesla plugged in. The higher Tier of charges for Idle Fees if the Supercharging Station is over 50% in use.

Supercharger Idle Fee

Best,

Tristan | Tesla Support

Me:
My issue was regarding the fact that the supercharger station was not 50% full when I was there, and thus I should not have been charged the fee in the first place. My prior refund is irrelevant if I should of have been charged this fee per your guidelines on occupancy.

Tesla:
Jonathan,

As previously stated in my original email, Idle Fees can occur being the ONLY Tesla at the Supercharging station, other Tesla vehicles do not need to be present for idle fees to be charged. Additional higher fees apply to the Idle Fees in the event of the Supercharging station having occupancy over 50%, the Idle Fee can double in price. We apologize for the inconvenience that you have been declined to have this fee waived at this time. This fee and any future idle fees will not be waived as this courtesy waive has already been used.

I have provided a link to our Support page in regards to Idle Fees and how these work with the Supercharging stations.

Supercharger Idle Fee

Me:
This is not what’s currently on your website:
“Idle fees apply when a Supercharger station is at least 50% full, and double when the station is 100% full.”

This implies you will only be charged when there is a minimum of 50% occupancy.

Tesla:
Hello Jonathan,

Upon review of your account I do see that we have already waived your first idle fee. We at Tesla issue this credit as a courtesy for our new owners. Due to this refund we will not be refunding the current idle fee you are requesting.

We value you as a member of the Tesla family and as such want to make sure everyone is able to use the supercharging network, which is why we ask you move your vehicle when fully charged to allow space for the next vehicle. To be clear, this is purely about increasing customer happiness and we hope to never make any money from supercharging idle fees.

Below is a link to our supercharging FAQ’s.

Supercharger Idle Fee

Best,

Tesla Support

Me:
I respectfully disagree, and if this was about increasing customer happiness, then my happiness should matter as well.

Here is the important point I am trying to make here. Your website states a very clear policy about when idle fees apply. It states the following:

“Idle fees apply when a Supercharger station is at least 50% full, and double when the station is 100% full.”

This literally and logically means that you won’t be charged an idle fee if the site is less than 50% occupied. In your prior email correspondence, however, you stated that idle fees are ALWAYS charged, regardless of occupancy, and that’s why I was charged. This is directly contrary to Tesla’s stated policy.

My past courtesy refund is not relevant if I should not have been charged this fee in the first place. Since the supercharger was less than 50% full, I should not have been charged. What should matter is the policy on your website, not the policy you say exists (but can’t be found publicly) after the fact that I’ve been charged.

Tesla needs to have a policy that’s clear and enforced accurately. That means either what’s stated on the website is enforced or what’s stated on the website is changed and communicated to owners. That’s clearly not happening now. I and others are participating in a forum thread about this at Tesla motors club, and others are frustrated by this as well. Clearly $10 doesn’t matter to me, but my experience of TRYING to abide by Tesla’s published policy, only to be fined anyway, has been very frustrating. Hopefully you’ll see that my customer happiness is important as well and refund my $10, and also hopefully work to clarify Tesla’s idle fee policy. When it comes to money, especially when charging rates as high as $1 a minute, I think it would be wise of Tesla to be clear and accurate in their policy.

Me: (a few days later)
I'm still awaiting a response to my prior email.

Tesla:
Hello Jonathan,

We appreciate your feedback regarding supercharging idle fees, we do charge these fees to ensure everyone has a chance to use the supercharging station. As you have had other fees waived we will not be able to remove this fee. I would recommend moving your vehicle as soon as charging is complete to avoid fees in the future.

Best,

Angie Teerlink | Tesla Support Email Supervisor

Me:
You didn’t address my actual concern, which is that the fee was not charged in accordance with Tesla’s stated policy that the fee is only applicable when the station is at least 50% full. The fee that I was charged was not applicable. My past fee waiver is irrelevant if I should not have been charged this second fee in the first place.

I’m very disappointed in this customer service experience.

I request you provide proof that you have a record that the station was actually 50% full per your stated policy, in lieu of a refund.

Tesla:
Hello Jonathan,

Apologies for the issue you have had with the supercharging station. I will refund this idle fee as a one time credit. You are correct that idle fees only apply when the station is over 50% full. Please remember things can change while you are not with your vehicle and if the lot does fill up you may incur charges. We do appreciate you being part of the Tesla family and want all to be able to utilize our supercharging network.
Best,

Here is the resolution of my issue with Tesla email support. To be clear, the lessons I've learned from this are a) Do not count on the "50% rule", just move the car and b) Tesla tech support isn't clear about what the current policy really is.

Me:
Hello, I was recently charged $10 for an idle fee at the Stateline, NV supercharger. However, when I plugged in prior to breakfast, there were only 3 cars plugged in out of 14 spots. So since this was less than 50%, I didn't rush back to my car when charging completed, as I was finishing breakfast. When I returned to the car, it was still only 3 other cars (4 total) plugged in out of 14. I still received a $10 idle fee charge. The language on your website states that the idle fee is only charged when the station is 50% occupied, so I believe I should be refunded. Also, the app did not notify me of a fee being charged. Thank you,

Tesla:
Hello Jonathan,

Below is a link to our supercharging FAQ’s. Idle Fees can occur with only your Tesla plugged in. The higher Tier of charges for Idle Fees if the Supercharging Station is over 50% in use.

Supercharger Idle Fee

Best,

Tristan | Tesla Support

Me:
My issue was regarding the fact that the supercharger station was not 50% full when I was there, and thus I should not have been charged the fee in the first place. My prior refund is irrelevant if I should of have been charged this fee per your guidelines on occupancy.

Tesla:
Jonathan,

As previously stated in my original email, Idle Fees can occur being the ONLY Tesla at the Supercharging station, other Tesla vehicles do not need to be present for idle fees to be charged. Additional higher fees apply to the Idle Fees in the event of the Supercharging station having occupancy over 50%, the Idle Fee can double in price. We apologize for the inconvenience that you have been declined to have this fee waived at this time. This fee and any future idle fees will not be waived as this courtesy waive has already been used.

I have provided a link to our Support page in regards to Idle Fees and how these work with the Supercharging stations.

Supercharger Idle Fee

Me:
This is not what’s currently on your website:

This implies you will only be charged when there is a minimum of 50% occupancy.

Tesla:
Hello Jonathan,

Below is a link to our supercharging FAQ’s.

Supercharger Idle Fee

Best,

Tesla Support

Me:
I respectfully disagree, and if this was about increasing customer happiness, then my happiness should matter as well.

Here is the important point I am trying to make here. Your website states a very clear policy about when idle fees apply. It states the following:

This literally and logically means that you won’t be charged an idle fee if the site is less than 50% occupied. In your prior email correspondence, however, you stated that idle fees are ALWAYS charged, regardless of occupancy, and that’s why I was charged. This is directly contrary to Tesla’s stated policy.

My past courtesy refund is not relevant if I should not have been charged this fee in the first place. Since the supercharger was less than 50% full, I should not have been charged. What should matter is the policy on your website, not the policy you say exists (but can’t be found publicly) after the fact that I’ve been charged.

Tesla needs to have a policy that’s clear and enforced accurately. That means either what’s stated on the website is enforced or what’s stated on the website is changed and communicated to owners. That’s clearly not happening now. I and others are participating in a forum thread about this at Tesla motors club, and others are frustrated by this as well. Clearly $10 doesn’t matter to me, but my experience of TRYING to abide by Tesla’s published policy, only to be fined anyway, has been very frustrating. Hopefully you’ll see that my customer happiness is important as well and refund my $10, and also hopefully work to clarify Tesla’s idle fee policy. When it comes to money, especially when charging rates as high as $1 a minute, I think it would be wise of Tesla to be clear and accurate in their policy.

Me: (a few days later)
I'm still awaiting a response to my prior email.

Tesla:
Hello Jonathan,

We appreciate your feedback regarding supercharging idle fees, we do charge these fees to ensure everyone has a chance to use the supercharging station. As you have had other fees waived we will not be able to remove this fee. I would recommend moving your vehicle as soon as charging is complete to avoid fees in the future.

Best,

Angie Teerlink | Tesla Support Email Supervisor

Me:
You didn’t address my actual concern, which is that the fee was not charged in accordance with Tesla’s stated policy that the fee is only applicable when the station is at least 50% full. The fee that I was charged was not applicable. My past fee waiver is irrelevant if I should not have been charged this second fee in the first place.

I’m very disappointed in this customer service experience.

I request you provide proof that you have a record that the station was actually 50% full per your stated policy, in lieu of a refund.

Tesla:
Hello Jonathan,

Apologies for the issue you have had with the supercharging station. I will refund this idle fee as a one time credit. You are correct that idle fees only apply when the station is over 50% full. Please remember things can change while you are not with your vehicle and if the lot does fill up you may incur charges. We do appreciate you being part of the Tesla family and want all to be able to utilize our supercharging network.
Best,
Wow, surprised by the amount of effort it took you to get them to help you. That’s horrible. That settles it for me, I’m gonna dispute the charge with my credit card company. I’m completely fine with “move your car”, totally fine with “or will charge you” but that was not relayed in any communication EVER nor is it stated anywhere. Policy change? Ok, fine...let us know.

For me to have to “prove” to Tesla that the supercharger I was at was 1/8 when I started and 2/8 when I left, is ridiculous.

Reactions: CaptainJ