Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excellent!. And one follow-up. I might be nuts, but I'm in Vegas and obviously it doesn't get too cold here. However, some Dec/Jan nights can get down to high 20's. The other morning, it was about 35 degrees outside where my car was parked (not in garage), I heated up the cabin for maybe 3-4 minutes only and felt like I lost a ton of miles. Was I just seeing things?

Excellent!. And one follow-up. I might be nuts, but I'm in Vegas and obviously it doesn't get too cold here. However, some Dec/Jan nights can get down to high 20's. The other morning, it was about 35 degrees outside where my car was parked (not in garage), I heated up the cabin for maybe 3-4 minutes only and felt like I lost a ton of miles. Was I just seeing things?
It was probably also heating the battery, which uses a different process than cabin heating. You will also use a bunch of energy at first when it’s cold out. As the car/battery warms up, the power draw drops significantly.

• Disagree
Reactions: mswlogo
Is there a way to only pre-heat the cabin and not the battery?

I don't think it will pre-heat the battery sitting idle with cabin on. I think things need to be fairly drastic before Model 3 ever spends energy to heat battery.

And yes, the cabin heat is 2000 watts. Depending on outside temperatures it can use significant battery sitting idle in the cold.
With no wind from driving though it should use less than when moving.

While driving you have to manage fogging so you might need to run A/C and/or Mix Outside Air.
But if idle turn off A/C and turn on recirculate. Things may fog up but that will use a lot less juice.

And yes, the cabin heat is 2000 watts. Depending on outside temperatures it can use significant battery sitting idle in the cold.

Well that's something different now, bc you are saying idling hurts mileage. I'm only talking 40 degrees or so Fahrenheit. Will this affect my mileage range as battery heats up while driving in AM?

I don't think it will pre-heat the battery sitting idle with cabin on. I think things need to be fairly drastic before Model 3 ever spends energy to heat battery.

While driving you have to manage fogging so you might need to run A/C and/or Mix Outside Air.
But if idle turn off A/C and turn on recirculate. Things may fog up but that will use a lot less juice.

Cabin heater is ~4.3kW.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
OK, so lastly, if it's 40 degrees in the morning, which is rare in Vegas (only 2 months a year), how many miles will I lose as the car just heats up on its own as I start to drive bc of the cold weather?

Takes me about 5 miles before energy level settles down. Might go from 350 wh/mi down to 280 wh/mi in that 5 miles.
Also overnight temps matter a lot too in how cold the battery was exposed to. This impact how long before you get full regen.
Getting full regen back and take a very long time, 10-50 miles. But I find lack of regen is not a huge impact. But that depends on what you driving through. There are so many variables.

I assumed you were talking about draw while driving. Sorry. I don’t know if the car starts warming the battery when you remotely warm the car. I can tell you the following though:
310miles / 75 kWh (battery size in LR)= 4.13 miles per kWh.

The HVAC uses about 4.3 kW when heating on full according to the video linked below. That means you use 4.3 kWh worth of battery if the heater ran for an entire hour on full, which you would never do. 1/2 an hour would use roughly 2.15 kWh at this worst case rate. 4.13 m/kWh * 2.15kWh= 8.88 miles lost from the heater. In reality, the heater would on run on max for a few minutes to bring up the temp. After that maintaining your desired temp would take much less power. Therefore, you’re looking at a realistic 1-3 miles of loss from the cabin HVAC depending on the difference between starting temp and the desired.

Let's Look At Energy Consumption Of Tesla Model 3 Heater

The video shows a draw of 240V at 20amps, which is 4.8kW. I was off by 10% at 4.3kW in my calculations. So worst case is 9.75 lost miles assuming the heater was at full tilt the entire 1/2 hour. I routinely take 25 min naps in my car when it’s below 40F with the heat set to 68F (the cabin temp is already heated though from driving). Nap time mileage loss is negligible.

I assumed you were talking about draw while driving. Sorry. I don’t know if the car starts warming the battery when you remotely warm the car. I can tell you the following though:
310miles / 75 kWh (battery size in LR)= 4.13 miles per kWh.

The HVAC uses about 4.3 kW when heating on full according to the video linked below. That means you use 4.3 kWh worth of battery if the heater ran for an entire hour on full, which you would never do. 1/2 an hour would use roughly 2.15 kWh at this worst case rate. 4.13 m/kWh * 2.15kWh= 8.88 miles lost from the heater. In reality, the heater would on run on max for a few minutes to bring up the temp. After that maintaining your desired temp would take much less power. Therefore, you’re looking at a realistic 1-3 miles of loss from the cabin HVAC depending on the difference between starting temp and the desired.

Let's Look At Energy Consumption Of Tesla Model 3 Heater

That video has no factual data on the max draw of the heater only a poorly conducted test at one ambient temp to another temp not considering many variables. Cold saturation of the vehicle, sun, etc. I would need to run a test but I would be surprised if the heater is only 4.3kw.

I don’t think the user has any control over the battery heating/management.

I wish this was something they would change so we could pre-heat the battery along with the cabin.
Preheating the cabin will heat the battery as well but only slightly. The best way to to the latter is to charge it just before you leave. This morning, when the temperature was -15 degrees, I used the app to start charging the battery at 6:00am and it was fully warm and operational by the time I left for work. This takes a bit more planning but it's effective.

Reactions: Olds442 and glide