Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If 12 volt battery dies what does one do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The manual has instructions on how to pop the frunk when the 12V battery is dead:
Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

As does the DIY Guides:
Model Y Do It Yourself | Tesla

For most people, it's a simple matter of calling Tesla Roadside or AAA and they can send someone with a jump starter to pop the frunk and jump start the car.

If you want to prepare for a situation with no outside help, you can stash a small 12V A23 battery in a small zip lock bag (to prevent corrosion) behind your tow hook cover. That can be used to pop the frunk in case the 12V dies. You can have instructions in there too if it fits. Then leave your jump starter in your frunk instead of trunk.
But you don't explain how to use the 12v A23 to pop the frunk. One is not actually "Jump Starting" the Tesla, the 12v battery is only to power the "brain" and electronics?

But you don't explain how to use the 12v A23 to pop the frunk.
Read the links I provided, it even has pictures.
One is not actually "Jump Starting" the Tesla, the 12v battery is only to power the "brain" and electronics?
Yes, it's not traditional jump starting, but I'm using that phrase because it's short and simple to understand and the procedure is pretty much exactly the same as a jump start (connecting a 12V source to the battery terminals).

Interesting, but don't you have to ignore multiple warnings from the car to replace the 12 volt battery to be at the point where you need to do this?
Personally,I simply preventitively replace mine every two years to avoid any issues... but my understanding is that the car will give you multiple warnings now about a dying 12 volt....correct?

Yes. You do.

I was worried when I got my first one a couple months ago.

The warnings are worrying what with car may stop while driving, may not start again once parked, various (non essential) systems may shutdown. Etc.

When mobile service came to replace as courtesy; not warranty apparently they said that there is nothing to worry about since the warning was only a couple days ago. According to them you have to let it go for quite a while before it’s really a concern.

I just read about so many nightmares, I figure a two year schedule is good. Replacing mine next week, along with all four tires next week at a service center. My car sleeps always at home. You'd think sleep would be a good thing. Apparently not always

I do keep it plugged in, but only allow charging after 1AM. So. Don't think it does anything. As far as I know, except when the car is actually charging, when it's sleeping at home, it's using the 12 volt for everything. Hard to know for sure... when I ask about stuff like this at the service center, I get 9 different answers from 9 techs. Deep down, I don't think they really know any more than we do. It's a hundred bucks to just change it preventatively every two years.peace of mind

Interesting, but don't you have to ignore multiple warnings from the car to replace the 12 volt battery to be at the point where you need to do this?
Personally,I simply preventitively replace mine every two years to avoid any issues... but my understanding is that the car will give you multiple warnings now about a dying 12 volt....correct?
Is there a way to access the current status of your 12v battery? Like % or as such? The current 12v battery on my wife 2018 Model 3 is now 4 years old.

Is there a way to access the current status of your 12v battery? Like % or as such? The current 12v battery on my wife 2018 Model 3 is now 4 years old.

Service menu.

My last one gave up the ghost with 10k miles in little more than two years.

IMG_2722.png

Service menu.

My last one gave up the ghost with 10k miles in little more than two years.

View attachment 913970
That section apparently does not exist in 12V lead acid cars (video mentions their 2018 model doesn't have it), so checking service menu is worthless if you have the lead acid batteries (not that knowing the SOC, current, voltage of it necessarily tells you much about the actual battery health in the first place):

Last edited:
Reactions: OldPro
That section apparently does not exist in 12V lead acid cars (video mentions their 2018 model doesn't have it), so checking service menu is worthless if you have the lead acid batteries (not that knowing the SOC, current, voltage of it necessarily tells you much about the actual battery health in the first place):

Service just replaced my 12V and invoice states Lead Acid and I just went into my service menu and it shows the LV battery so that’s weird.

I thought there was an update to the service menu in one of the recent releases. Maybe this was one of the changes?

Service just replaced my 12V and invoice states Lead Acid and I just went into my service menu and it shows the LV battery so that’s weird.

I thought there was an update to the service menu in one of the recent releases. Maybe this was one of the changes?
According to the video, both cars were on the same software version (2022.28.2 from video). I will try to check out my car tomorrow if I have a chance. I have a 2021 Model 3 (made in end of 2020) on 2022.20.7.
Could also be a HW3 vs HW2.5 difference (or maybe other controller difference in the 2018 Model 3), or even a difference between Model Y vs Model 3.

I have seen so many posts from people who ignored the warning and found their car dead within a short period of time. While I do not suggest dropping everything to replace the 12v battery, it should be replaced in a timely fashion.

THANKS! "SOC" means "State of Charge" or something like that?

Yes. State of charge. For the LV battery in my case there is no SOC mentioned but on other cars there is. Either way you can see the V and A which gives an indication as well. This battery sub menu, and in general the service section, seem to be improving quite a bit in recent weeks / months.

Reactions: OldPro
Hello so I had this weird thing happen. On Friday June 2, 2023 I went out to the garage as I needed to run an errand. My MYP was dead no power, I opened the door and couldn’t even close it. The charging cable would not release, drunk or trunk would not open. I did put in a mobile request service and stated that I believe it’s 12 volt. My car is a 2020 MYP with 14k miles.

I never received any warning that the 12 volt system was low. Friday Night it’s like the app connected again I was able to close the door and now it’s telling me the 12 volt needs to be serviced soon and I have an update, whereas for the entire day the car would do nothing.

Has anyone else experienced this? Thank God the car was in my garage at home.

I thought I was supposed to get the warning before the battery went out?

Any information regarding this is welcomed.