Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If Tesla is a safer car, why the insurance cost does not reflect that?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Insurance companies don't care two hoots about whether you survive a crash or the extent of your injuries - it is total auto restoration cost that they care about. Depending on the risk analysis, it his cheaper for them if you don't survive. That is why motorcyclists in no helmet states can still get insurance.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Because a Model 3/S/X are very expensive to repair.
I know aluminum repair costs more than steel. I could see the different hourly rates in the body shop. But if I total a M3 and my insurance pays me a replacement claim, it would cost them, say $54,000 plus or minus. If I totaled my Audi S6, they probably have to pay me close to that much since the purchase price was over $80,000. So, why charge me double to insure the M3?
Also, the insurance is a copy hundred more than the 2014 MS I traded in. Does it cost less to repair a MS?

I know aluminum repair costs more than steel. I could see the different hourly rates in the body shop. But if I total a M3 and my insurance pays me a replacement claim, it would cost them, say $54,000 plus or minus. If I totaled my Audi S6, they probably have to pay me close to that much since the purchase price was over $80,000. So, why charge me double to insure the M3?
Also, the insurance is a copy hundred more than the 2014 MS I traded in. Does it cost less to repair a MS?
For many reasons but you can start with this: most accidents are not a total loss.

I just took delivery of a M3, LRAWD and updated my auto insurance. It is kinda a sticker shock to find insuring the M3 cost much more than my Audi S6, a V8 turbo. Collision coverage is exactly double that of the Audi's which does not have Autopilot features. So, despite all the claims about autopilot being safer, does the insurance industry agree or is there statistics proving that claim?

Look at the breakdown. Car insurance is four main components:
(1) Personal injury -- for people in the car getting injured. This is LOWER for Teslas than for other cars.
(2) Liability -- for you injuring people in OTHER cars, or pedestrians, or damaging OTHER cars, or crashing into other people's houses. This is LOWER for Teslas than for other cars.
(3) Collision -- insurance for repairing YOUR car if it gets hit by another car. This is HIGHER for Teslas than for other cars, because the parts are expensive and the body repairs are expensive.
(4) Comprehensive -- insurance for repair YOUR car if it gets damaged by something else (like a tree falling on it). This is HIGHER for Teslas than for other cars.

Now you know. The insurance industry agrees that Teslas are safer than other cars, but they are expensive to repair.

That said, definitely shop around. I've seen really wild variation in premiums for insurance for Teslas, much higher variation than I am used to seeing with other cars.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
Lack of information and level of risk. Insurance companies run on just the numbers. If they don't have the data then some might be overly conservative (high rates). It takes time and information for this to change. Shop around. Some insurers were very high for me, others were cheaper or the same as my old SUV.

+1 on Geico. A little cheaper than my Highlander was with State Farm. Edit. I'm paying about 120 a month, including 9k in extra insurance to cover autopilot and FSD.
Why did you have to get the extra $9k? The car should be insured for all the features you purchased with the car unless you bought them after the fact.

Look at the breakdown. Car insurance is four main components:
(1) Personal injury -- for people in the car getting injured. This is LOWER for Teslas than for other cars.
(2) Liability -- for you injuring people in OTHER cars, or pedestrians, or damaging OTHER cars, or crashing into other people's houses. This is LOWER for Teslas than for other cars.
(3) Collision -- insurance for repairing YOUR car if it gets hit by another car. This is HIGHER for Teslas than for other cars, because the parts are expensive and the body repairs are expensive.
(4) Comprehensive -- insurance for repair YOUR car if it gets damaged by something else (like a tree falling on it). This is HIGHER for Teslas than for other cars.

Now you know. The insurance industry agrees that Teslas are safer than other cars, but they are expensive to repair.

That said, definitely shop around. I've seen really wild variation in premiums for insurance for Teslas, much higher variation than I am used to seeing with other cars.
Well, if the car is safer, I assume the chance it causes an accident is lower. My insurance will pay for damage if My car is at fault. For accidents caused by others and I have no control, my insurance will go after the culprit party’s insurance and my insurance does not pay a dime. So, the argument that it costs more to repair and the car being safe does not affect the collision coverage cost is weak.
Anyway, yes, I have AAA and my home, umbrella are all tied with them. I guess I should just put up.