Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If textile headliner is "premium" then what is "standard"??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got to sit in the Model 3 in Century City, and while the textile headliner doesn't bother me, I wouldn't AT ALL call it "premium" though... its the exact same as my 2007 Pontiac headliner.

My question is if this is the "premium material" we get with the $5,000 upgrade, what material is the standard? Vinyl? Burlap sack? ;P

I got to sit in the Model 3 in Century City, and while the textile headliner doesn't bother me, I wouldn't AT ALL call it "premium" though... its the exact same as my 2007 Pontiac headliner.

My question is if this is the "premium material" we get with the $5,000 upgrade, what material is the standard? Vinyl? Burlap sack? ;P

a slightly different color. Just like there was a signature red paint there is a "premium" textile.

The difference in headliner between standard and premium won't matter as much to the average person as the difference between Alcantara(TM) and premium textile does to the premium only crowd. Really the differences are muddied in peoples minds

Alcantara TM vs Ultra Suede (Ultrasuede is 100% polyester and Alcantara is 68% polyester and 32% polyurethane)
Ultra Suede vs premium textile
premium textile vs standard textile
standard textile vs bargain textile

Plenty of levels in materiel quality I didn't list, all kinds of materiel options an OEM can pick. People like to react like it went from the top possible down to the bottom possible as though there is nothing in between.

a slightly different color. Just like there was a signature red paint there is a "premium" textile.

The difference in headliner between standard and premium won't matter as much to the average person as the difference between Alcantara(TM) and premium textile does to the premium only crowd. Really the differences are muddied in peoples minds

Alcantara TM vs Ultra Suede (Ultrasuede is 100% polyester and Alcantara is 68% polyester and 32% polyurethane)
Ultra Suede vs premium textile
premium textile vs standard textile
standard textile vs bargain textile

Plenty of levels in materiel quality I didn't list, all kinds of materiel options an OEM can pick. People like to react like it went from the top possible down to the bottom possible as though there is nothing in between.

For what it's worth... just saying that the "premium" headliner textile in the Model 3 looks/feels exactly the same as the headliner in my 2007 Pontiac G5. *shrug*

Not to mention that without the PUP you will have much more headliner. I'd almost be willing to argue that the premium material is the glass...

This. 'Premium materials throughout' the PUP interior != 'different materials in every case compared to the base model.' They can absolutely use the same headliner in both trims and still meet the marketing description.

Reactions: Runt8 and MP3Mike
Until this whole debate started, I couldn't have told you what the materials in my '14 Leaf were (I knew they weren't Alcantera or similar, but had no mental image fo what texture they did have). But now that I looked, it certainly sets a base-line for "non-premium": All pillars are hard plastic (ABS or something along those lines), and the headliner is a light-weight woven fabric with a felt-like texture to it and a small amount of padding behind. Door panels feel a little better, and are a similar soft-touch woven fabric to the seats. The pictures I've seen of the 3's woven fabric look premium to me in comparison, and any fabric on the pillars would be a premium over hard plastic.