Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you installed a HPWC running a 60 Amp Circuit, how much was the cost for the electrician?

If you had a HPWC installed using a 60 AMP Curcuit, how much did you pay the electrician?

• Less than $300

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • $300-$499

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • $500-$699

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • $700-$899

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • $900-$1099

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • $1100-$1299

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • $1300-$1499

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • $1500-$1749

• $1750-$1999

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $2000-$2499

• $2500-$2999

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than $3000

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My situation is more of a complete electrical re-do than just a 60 amp circuit install. My house was built in 1955 and only has 100 amp service. I've got no gas line to the house, everything runs off of electricity. I've got geothermal for my HVAC which luckily is very efficient, but there's no way I would be able to charge a Model 3 while I've got the HVAC running at full blast plus a few other large appliances running. Currently waiting on permit approval from the town (they're 4 weeks behind on approvals...) so my electrician can start work. Upgrading to 200 amp service and getting an entirely new breaker box to replace a main panel and sub panel in addition to a 60 amp circuit for my HWPC in the garage. For whatever reason my current breaker box is located 20 feet away from where the main comes into the house, so local electrical code dictates I need a master shut off outside where the main comes in. Basically several out of ordinary things with the construction of my house that are bringing up the cost of this electrical upgrade. Got three different quotes. I'm going with the guy that's charging $3600 and was by far the most professional of the bunch. The most expensive quote I got was $6600. I just laughed when I saw that guys quote.

Tough question as everyone’s install is different. Service/panel upgrades are expensive. Some cable runs are 5’ and some are buried 150’. I already had 200 amps buried service to the meter but only 100 amps going into the house. Inside panel is is 6’ from the outside meter.
Cost with permit and inspection to upgrade to a 200 amp service and panel was approx. $1150.
75’ Teck90 6/3awg wire run through the basement out to the front of the garage on a 40amp breaker into a Nema 14-50 was approx. $750. (Let’s me charge anything/anybody until I get the car)
When I get the car they return, install a 60 amp breaker and HPWC including permit and inspection approx. $500.
So $2400 plus tax. Next lowest quote was $1000 higher..........

My situation is more of a complete electrical re-do than just a 60 amp circuit install. My house was built in 1955 and only has 100 amp service. I've got no gas line to the house, everything runs off of electricity. I've got geothermal for my HVAC which luckily is very efficient, but there's no way I would be able to charge a Model 3 while I've got the HVAC running at full blast plus a few other large appliances running. Currently waiting on permit approval from the town (they're 4 weeks behind on approvals...) so my electrician can start work. Upgrading to 200 amp service and getting an entirely new breaker box to replace a main panel and sub panel in addition to a 60 amp circuit for my HWPC in the garage. For whatever reason my current breaker box is located 20 feet away from where the main comes into the house, so local electrical code dictates I need a master shut off outside where the main comes in. Basically several out of ordinary things with the construction of my house that are bringing up the cost of this electrical upgrade. Got three different quotes. I'm going with the guy that's charging $3600 and was by far the most professional of the bunch. The most expensive quote I got was $6600. I just laughed when I saw that guys quote.

$3600!?!? Might as well charge at superchargers. Ya. Less convenient.

We got the wire gauge installed for 100A circuit (80A continuous) so we could max out the WC or daisy chain a second in the future. Cost was $800 for a pretty long run, + the WC itself. We got ours done when the Federal rebate still existed though, so 30% back at tax time.

6/3 copper, 60 amp breaker, 85ft run from basement, thru conduit to outside house, to inside garage, along garage ceiling to cutoff switch, to HPWC. Ran 4 individual wires including neutral to cutoff switch so it could support a 14-50 receptacle if need arises. No neutral to HPWC. $1350 install to electrician + about 550 to Tesla = $1900. Should deliver 48A if I ever get my car.

$3600!?!? Might as well charge at superchargers. Ya. Less convenient.

Yeah it’s not cheap, but it’s a significant upgrade to my electrical system. We’ll be moving to a bigger house in a few years, so an upgrade like this will increase the value of my house and/or help it sell faster. The Model 3 will be a lot more prevalent when we’re ready to sell, so my house will look pretty attractive to a current or future Model 3 owner when it’s on the market.

I have 200 amp service on my main panel and a 50 amp drop to a sub-panel in my basement that is close to my garage location but also completely full with no possibility of freeing up breaker space.

Running a 2nd circuit into the basement will be difficult due to methods used in the original construction so I am hiring an electrician to cut new conduit access into the rim joist and run a new 125 amp service to a new secondary breaker box near the other sub-panel.

Once that is done I can complete the 60 amp garage service install on my own for about $200.

My electrician is quoting $95 an hour and I will supply most of the materials. He figures it will take 2-3 hours to do his piece so should be about $300.