Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you were not getting a Model S what would you get

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S does NOT have: dynamic laser cruise control, land departure warning, etc like the Lexus. It ALSO does NOT have: night vision, heads up display, etc like the BMW 5-series.

You sound pretty definative - I have heard mixed information from the Oct event and a DC Event. While the "90%" beta version does not have these systems, have you heard anything specific on option availability for the final?

ACC is just one feature I think the car should have that hasn't been added to the option list. There are some more basic luxury car features that need to be there too. My 4 1/2 year old Lexus already has all of them so I wouldn't consider them "new" features. Here's a list of what I feel the Model S Signature should have to be competitive as a $90K+ 2012 car:

Adaptive cruise control, Advanced pre-collision system with driver monitor/alert, lane departure system, LED adaptive headlights, Rain sensing wipers, soft supple leather, heated and cooled seats, Electro-chromaticic mirrors (all of them), high-end audio system, voice command system, backup camera and parking sensors, one-touch open and close trunk (frunk), navigation system with real-time traffic, dual-zone automatic climate control with auto smog sensor, Tesla-Link (On-star type system), keyless entry system

They also said the seats will be heated, but that they will not be cooled.

Initially I was more concerned about the lack of cooled seats than I was about the lack of adaptive cruise control. BUT when you can set the cabin temperature and the A/C will run while you're not in the car, why would you need cooled seats?

That is why I think it is important to not focus exclusively on what the Model S does not have and make sure we factor in what the Model S does have that no other car has (like the ability to run the HVAC systems remotely and on a timer).

Things change and sometimes from customer input (like this) but I talked with Franz at the Factory tour and he said the ACC would not be on the first Model S'... BUT, they would not be made so it could not be added later.

Ah the confusing double negative. So you're saying it will be made in such a way that it could be retrofitted? Cool if so, but I guess that means the lasers are already in place? Possibly used for proximity monitoring for when the backup cam is engaged?

I know car makers want to always sell the latest and greatest, but I like the idea of modular upgrades. It probably does the manufacturer some good as well when they can sell new things to old customers who may not want to buy a whole new car.

After the event I quoted him more specifically in this forum. I can't find it now. I'd side with Dr Computer's assessment.

My Model S replacement would be our less-expensive 2004 Infiniti that has ACC and keyless entry. An eight year later 2012 luxury car without it? Really?

Related Cruise threads.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/5982-Cruise-Control-feels-like-ICE?highlight=cruise

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/2568-Adaptive-Cruise-Control?highlight=cruise

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/3618-cruise-control?highlight=cruise

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/4005-Adaptive-Cruise-Control?highlight=cruise

Last edited:
My Model S replacement would be our less-expensive 2004 Infiniti that has ACC and keyless entry. An eight year later 2012 luxury car without it? Really?

It does have keyless entry, doesn't it? Including auto-restoring user-specific settings, and auto-turn-on when buckling the seat belt.

The adjustable air suspension seems really good... and the very large sunroof quite unique.

Rain sensing wipers were apparently functional on at least one of the betas (seen in a video), voice command for at least a few things, back-up camera plus, it seems, two side-ways parking cameras, alarm system on the frunk, 4.4 sec as an option, nav system probably standard, wifi hotspot, built-in web and email, music device interface, apparently great sound, internet radio, smart-phone interface, direct download of software upgrades.

Things like adaptive cruise control might be a bit early for a "first" car, even if they buy it from Daimler or so. It might have to prove its reliability first in real-life, even with a 5-star test rating in each category.

WhiteKnight summed up my point....Although Audi/MB/Lexus/BMW will likely offer some luxury features that won't be on the Model S, Tesla will be able to provide features that can't be found on it's competitors.

Living in Virginia, for example, I find the ability to turn on the AC 10 minutes before coming out to the car to be priceless.

As far as ACC is concerned (and some of the other features folks are hoping for, like night vision), I would've expected it to be mentioned on the Model S features page if it were going to be there.

Ummm, think this thread went juuuust a little bit OT a few pages back.....

Yeah, but it's been entertaining. I'm so happy with my super-minimal Roadster that it's interesting to see what constitutes a necessity for others.

I hope to replace an E350 wagon with a Model X if it's more towards the wagon or small SUV end of things than the top-heavy behemoth sort of things - the wagon part is for the small dogs, which SUVs completely fail at - the dogs have to see out from the back, and the Merc is for the seats, which became a primary selection factor for my wife with a bad back - Volvo seats were more comfy but had those #%$@! unadjustible headrests that don't work for someone that needs shoulder over hips.Or, I guess I'd be happy if instead of booster seats there was a doggy-see platform that had storage underneath. And the Merc has this sweet roll-up cargo netting that clips into slots in the ceiling meant to keep the dogs in back (though recent lessons indicate they didn't think about a stubborn dachshund (redundant, I know) tweenie who can jump between the netting and the window...).

Yeah, but it's been entertaining. I'm so happy with my super-minimal Roadster that it's interesting to see what constitutes a necessity for others.

I hope to replace an E350 wagon with a Model X if it's more towards the wagon or small SUV end of things than the top-heavy behemoth sort of things - the wagon part is for the small dogs, which SUVs completely fail at - the dogs have to see out from the back, and the Merc is for the seats, which became a primary selection factor for my wife with a bad back - Volvo seats were more comfy but had those #%$@! unadjustible headrests that don't work for someone that needs shoulder over hips.Or, I guess I'd be happy if instead of booster seats there was a doggy-see platform that had storage underneath. And the Merc has this sweet roll-up cargo netting that clips into slots in the ceiling meant to keep the dogs in back (though recent lessons indicate they didn't think about a stubborn dachshund (redundant, I know) tweenie who can jump between the netting and the window...).

The seats fold flat to make a cargo area above them. May be a little bit of space below for storage but not much.

2002 Mercury XR Cougar, sitting in the garage collecting dust- no putting another penny into that car.
When all is said and done, the Model S costs the same as the Cougar (8 years car cost 58 K when all was said and done).
If that doesn't tell you something about gas prices and lack of quality on Ford's part- I don't know what does.