Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you'd have never owned a Tesla, would you buy a CPO MS today?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No center console is not a huge deal, you keep your gum and sunglasses on the yacht floor where a console would go, or in cubby under the 17" screen, although one good launch will cause them to shoot out of there! There is no storage under the arm rests, and no door pockets. Less places for junk accumulate.

Eh, I am not a low maintenance person. My center console on my current car holds my charging network cards, a emergency glass-breaker, extra sunglasses, Kleenex, etc. I plan on springing for Teslas console if I end up with a CPO without one.

Eh, I am not a low maintenance person. My center console on my current car holds my charging network cards, a emergency glass-breaker, extra sunglasses, Kleenex, etc. I plan on springing for Teslas console if I end up with a CPO without one.
Yeah, since I'm a girl with a purse I have less need for storage in the car i guess!

Yeah, since I'm a girl with a purse I have less need for storage in the car i guess!
I added the console because it wasn't standard last December and I don't regret it. However, I admit that not having it would provide a nice place for my purse.
LOL, so am I! Sigh, I guess I really AM high maintenance. :)
Me too. I have a lot of things in the console that I can't always carry in a purse. It also ensures that my car stays tidy.
Sunglasses, Kleenex, wheel nut key, charging cables, ibuprofen, extra pair of earrings (in case I run out and forget to put on some) hand lotion, headsets, money, concealed weapon (Texan here). The glove box just isn't large enough.

I am also an Model 3 reservation holder, like everyone else in the world. My girlfriend and I considered the crazy lease deal, lsot a car while in the showroom on Friday. We are waiting for the release of the Model 3 design next year and then going to decide. If I had someone paying my monthly payment I would have likely jumped on the lease.

We are very likely to try and jump into someone's CPO P85D, I know a small amount of these, or pick up a CPO P90D, Ludicrous is something I guess I can live without. We certainly do not need a big car, thus the reason for us looking at the Model 3, but I worry about how the options will appear. I also know I am not going to buy the base Model 3, but I will buy the top performance one likely.

Saghost said:
I see a few folks have already said it, but I'll add my voice: If you're driving 20k per year for work, spend a little extra and get an Autopilot car. Much safer, much more convenient. If you can find an Autopilot equipped CPO, I wouldn't have an hesitation buying that, but you will really, really benefit from Autopilot, even if it makes you buy new or Inventory instead.
+1

I think that fall 2014 production was a big inflection point, as that's when both AWD and Autopilot hardware were introduced. And a car from that date forward is going to have a higher probability of being reliable than earlier cars. For me the AWD was a big selling point, and the marketplace has spoken loud and clear that it values Autopilot highly for resale purposes. I'm retired so perhaps the Autopilot is less critical to me than most users. I would be using it a lot if I were still commuting on SoCal freeways.

I'm a model 3 reservation holder (in person,in line on 3/31). I'm looking at a CPO S85 I like that is currently in southern Cali. I drive around 20k per year for work. I get reimbursed for those miles to an average reimbursement of just over $800 per month. With this in mind, I can have a zero or near net zero cost of ownership. I live 2 to 2 1/2 hours from the nearest 2 service centers. I would need this car as a daily driver. I've got a couple of concerns:
1: Are there service center issues in Chicago or Indy (ie...exceptional waits, poor service, multiple repairs required to fix issues)?
2: Is the Motor drive unit issues really an issue as it seems or are there a dis-proportional amount of comments on here?
3: Any chance anyone here has owned or know who has owned this specific vehicle and would be willing to answer any questions about its service/ warranty history?
85 kWh Model S 5YJSA1CN5DFP23160 | Tesla

I know this is sort of a random thread, but I am completely new to Tesla. I know this is a not a new car, but 52K is a significant amount of money to spend if you are not sure if it will be reliable enough to drive every day. Thank you for you input!

I live in socal and was in the exact same situation (left that job though, RIP reimbursement). I bought a non-cpo used Tesla, and I drove the *sugar* out of it. Bought it with 52K miles in July of 2015 and I have 88K miles today. My only regret was not waiting for the CPO site to reach maturity, there were better deals on the CPO site in terms of features and addons. 2013 you will probably have DU issues, noises/milling/etc. I had 3 swaps all under warranty, last one has worked for 15K miles with no issue.

I would make sure you have the right revision on the motor ahead of time to prevent those issues. Other than that, if you can get a good deal, go for it!

I live in socal and was in the exact same situation (left that job though, RIP reimbursement). I bought a non-cpo used Tesla, and I drove the *sugar* out of it. Bought it with 52K miles in July of 2015 and I have 88K miles today. My only regret was not waiting for the CPO site to reach maturity, there were better deals on the CPO site in terms of features and addons. 2013 you will probably have DU issues, noises/milling/etc. I had 3 swaps all under warranty, last one has worked for 15K miles with no issue.

I would make sure you have the right revision on the motor ahead of time to prevent those issues. Other than that, if you can get a good deal, go for it!

Would you mind elaborating a bit on "DU issues, noises/milling/etc" and "the right revision on the motor" as I have my eye on a CPO 2013... Thanks.

Would you mind elaborating a bit on "DU issues, noises/milling/etc" and "the right revision on the motor" as I have my eye on a CPO 2013... Thanks.

I forget which revision it is, someone else on here can probably communicate that better than I. I just had the DU "clunk" twice, and a weird power failure for like .25 seconds once a day when changing from park to R or D. So three replacements, all recommended by Tesla after I described the issue.