Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you'd have never owned a Tesla, would you buy a CPO MS today?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There were plenty of early Model S's that had no major problems. I know, I had one.

Ditto. I have VIN 112, which is 4 years old and has over 75k miles. The only problems we have ever seen are the door handles (well-known problem on first couple thousand cars, they have been replaced with a newer design) and one day when Supercharging in extremely hot weather the charge port door wouldn't stay shut. That's better than almost all the non-Teslas I have owned.

Tesla did, for free, improve several parts after we bought it. We got free upgrades to quieter pano seals and HVAC shrouds, we got more robust battery case protection and better contactors, better defroster vents, etc. Yes it would have been nice if they had done that before shipping the car, but given that they came to our house and dropped off a loaner so we could put miles on their car while they improved ours, I have no complaints. Everything was working fine on our car before the upgrades.

My old car is missing features. No parking sensors, folding mirrors, AWD (though it does have a much bigger frunk), Autopilot, rear cup holders, etc. But reliability has not been an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: cdub and JPUConn
Hmmm, my concern here is less new vs. cpo and more around your distance from a service center. I've had my CPO car for about 45 days, and it is i the shop now for the second time. While the car didnt leave me stranded or anything, you may find youself living with annoying problems longer since getting the car there and back will be a hassle for you.

As an aside, they replaced the drive unit 2 weeks after I got the car...it is apparent the C in CPO is often handled by us owners shortly after delivery. Go in with your eyes open on that and don't guzzle the kool aid too fast.

Reactions: Fiver
Hmmm, my concern here is less new vs. cpo and more around your distance from a service center. I've had my CPO car for about 45 days, and it is i the shop now for the second time. While the car didnt leave me stranded or anything, you may find youself living with annoying problems longer since getting the car there and back will be a hassle for you.

As an aside, they replaced the drive unit 2 weeks after I got the car...it is apparent the C in CPO is often handled by us owners shortly after delivery. Go in with your eyes open on that and don't guzzle the kool aid too fast.

If I may ask, what year and how many miles on your CPO? I'm not yet an owner but close to putting a deposit on one, S85, 2013, 18,000 ish miles.

If I may ask, what year and how many miles on your CPO? I'm not yet an owner but close to putting a deposit on one, S85, 2013, 18,000 ish miles.

2013, 44k miles. Drive unit had the big clunk the second I drove it off the lot. The service center has been awesome to work with, but it is disappointing this obvious issue wasn't addressed during CPO process. I ultimately had them look at several other things which they replaced too (a tpms sensor, tail lights, mobile charger, etc.) without any pushback. I think this will all calm down after the first 2-3 months, but I would tell you to plan on at least one ir two return visits early on unless your tolerance for issues is pretty high.

I bought a 2013 CPO S85 with 15K miles on it a year ago this October. WE LOVE IT!!!! The Tesla staff detailed the car so well that everyone thought we had bought a brand new car. The Tesla service people have amazingly driven out to our home 40 miles from the service center for minor repairs and pickup/drop off loaner cars. They replaced the drive motor at the first hint of a whirring sound. I've never had better service from any car company. We've now driven over 15K miles on our 2013 (Vin 17XXX) and it is the best car we've ever driven. I've driven loaner cars with autopilot and while its pretty amazing, its not a requirement for us. Personally, I wouldn't want any smaller battery than an 85. If you can do it, DO IT! Hope that helps.

Reactions: andrewschuyler
2013, 44k miles. Drive unit had the big clunk the second I drove it off the lot. The service center has been awesome to work with, but it is disappointing this obvious issue wasn't addressed during CPO process. I ultimately had them look at several other things which they replaced too (a tpms sensor, tail lights, mobile charger, etc.) without any pushback. I think this will all calm down after the first 2-3 months, but I would tell you to plan on at least one ir two return visits early on unless your tolerance for issues is pretty high.

Thanks Cab. I do not have a high tolerance for things, lol, but I'm cautiously starting to drink the Kool-Aid on the Tesla customer service

I bought a 2013 CPO S85 with 15K miles on it a year ago this October. WE LOVE IT!!!! The Tesla staff detailed the car so well that everyone thought we had bought a brand new car. The Tesla service people have amazingly driven out to our home 40 miles from the service center for minor repairs and pickup/drop off loaner cars. They replaced the drive motor at the first hint of a whirring sound. I've never had better service from any car company. We've now driven over 15K miles on our 2013 (Vin 17XXX) and it is the best car we've ever driven. I've driven loaner cars with autopilot and while its pretty amazing, its not a requirement for us. Personally, I wouldn't want any smaller battery than an 85. If you can do it, DO IT! Hope that helps.

Thanks Sethsla, more information is always helpful.

I didn't realize until a few days ago the sub-zero package prior to 2015 didn't include a heated steering wheel, which disappoints me greatly. I'm sure there are a lot of things like this that I will learn.

How many USB connections in the 2013? one or two? I also see a lot of info on Slacker and Spotify. Surely you can bluetooth Pandora, or whatever one prefers?

How is the lack of a center console? I'm sure I can "make do" but I usually have something like a pack of gum, sun glasses, etc. Is there storage under the arm rests?

Thanks guys for the info.

I replied to this, but don't see it now. Thanks for the info. I am not patient nor do I have a high tolerance for things, lol.

I was looking at something that cost a little less in the range of 40K miles, but decided a little higher price might be worth less use. It's all a crap-shoot. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I hope to test drive before I actually take ownership but not sure if that's possible. Show up for delivery and drive before signing anything? At that point I realize I would be out the deposit and transport charges .

How many USB connections in the 2013? one or two? I also see a lot of info on Slacker and Spotify. Surely you can bluetooth Pandora, or whatever one prefers?

How is the lack of a center console? I'm sure I can "make do" but I usually have something like a pack of gum, sun glasses, etc. Is there storage under the arm rests?

Hi

Since I traded the cold of NY for the warmth of southern Cal, I haven't needed to worry about sub-zero issues. Meanwhile, I believe that all the Model S's have 2 USB ports and 12V charger. I use one USB to load up 128 GB of my tunes. Tesla supplies Slacker (very Pandora like) and Tunein internet radio standard with an ATT full time data connection as standard & free for 4 years. Sirius is available (for a fee) if you have the upgraded stereo. And, yes, you can bluetooth anything from your smartphone. While there is no center console, there are lots of after market solutions. I chose the cheapskate approach to storage with this little bin from Amazon tucked up front where it fits right in. More elegant and pricier solutions abound. Hope that helps.

Thanks Sethsla, more information is always helpful.

I didn't realize until a few days ago the sub-zero package prior to 2015 didn't include a heated steering wheel, which disappoints me greatly. I'm sure there are a lot of things like this that I will learn.

Thanks guys for the info.
2 USB ports since at least 2013, i assume since the beginning. Yes, you can stream anything via Bluetooth.

No center console is not a huge deal, you keep your gum and sunglasses on the yacht floor where a console would go, or in cubby under the 17" screen, although one good launch will cause them to shoot out of there! There is no storage under the arm rests, and no door pockets. Less places for junk accumulate.

Last edited:
I see a few folks have already said it, but I'll add my voice: If you're driving 20k per year for work, spend a little extra and get an Autopilot car. Much safer, much more convenient. If you can find an Autopilot equipped CPO, I wouldn't have an hesitation buying that, but you will really, really benefit from Autopilot, even if it makes you buy new or Inventory instead.

Have you considered a lease? Check out this thread: Snagged a P90D Inventory car for $700/mnth on the new 24 month lease

With your ~$800/month mileage reimbursement and model 3 reservation, this sounds like a great option for you in terms of price and timing!

Tesla is heavily discounting pre facelifted P90DL inventory cars (most of which are fully loaded including Autopilot), so they have approached the price of brand new 60s. The only downside is you might not want to return the P90DL once the lease is up:)

Good luck with your decision. The Model S is truly revolutionary.

+1.

Also, there are more cars (CPO or Inv.) available than what's listed on the public tesla site, ev-cpo.com etc, so make sure to work with a Tesla OA as they get access to upcoming/internal inventory. The thread above a a couple of pointers. When it doubt, reach out to @SoCal Jimmy to get the contact info for his guy. He's found a lot of great cars for us on this thread.

Reactions: Model S M.D.
Hi

Since I traded the cold of NY for the warmth of southern Cal, I haven't needed to worry about sub-zero issues. Meanwhile, I believe that all the Model S's have 2 USB ports and 12V charger. I use one USB to load up 128 GB of my tunes. Tesla supplies Slacker (very Pandora like) and Tunein internet radio standard with an ATT full time data connection as standard & free for 4 years. Sirius is available (for a fee) if you have the upgraded stereo. And, yes, you can bluetooth anything from your smartphone. While there is no center console, there are lots of after market solutions. I chose the cheapskate approach to storage with this little bin from Amazon tucked up front where it fits right in. More elegant and pricier solutions abound. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the link, I may have to consider something like that. I might have to get my tunes onto a USB.

2 USB ports since at least 2013, i assume since the beginning. Yes, you can stream anything via Bluetooth.

No center console is not a huge deal, you keep your gum and sunglasses on the yacht floor where a console would go, or in cubby under the 17" screen, although one good launch will cause them to shoot out of there! There is no storage under the arm rests, and no door pockets. Less places for junk accumulate.
Less junk is good, for sure.