Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If You're Reserving -what car are you coming from?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive a 2012 Range Rover sport HSE...a definite gas guzzler! I will miss her dearly, but willing to part with her to join the rEVolution. :)

I'm not sure how the trade-in process works, but I've read that Tesla offers crappy trade-in values. I guess I'll have to see when the time comes. I'll most likely try to sell it privately at some point before late 2017.

As you can see from my signature, I'm on my second Leaf. Would have been my 3rd if '16 Leaf wasn't so expensive. Just extended my Leaf for one more year of lease that will end in May '16. So I'll have to pickup something before 3. May be a Bolt on 2 year lease if Bolt comes here in early '16. Or next Gen Leaf if that comes first.

Assuming that my current car will still be running in 2+ years.... a 2000 BMW 323i. After 18 years I think it would be time for new wheels. Last year when I had my car in for servicing, I was given the opportunity to select either a new (2015) 3-series or an i3 REx for a loaner. Since I had never driven an EV or hybrid before, I jumped at the chance to use the i3 for several days. Bottom line: it drove nice but I would never buy one in its current incarnation.

Two car family...

2012 Honda Civic and a MK1 Mazda MX-5. The 3 will replace the MX-5 which is starting to cost a bit to keep on the road (but it is fun), and become the main family car. The Civic will be relegated to the wife's car and used for trips to the tip etc where the cavernous space is most useful and I wouldn't want to take the new pride and joy.

Had thought about replacing the Civic in the near future, but we'll hang on to it and run it into the ground.

cars:
1989 BMW 325i Convertible Turbo. - Keeping
BMW F21 (2013) 120d Msport - Leased (handing back in 2 months)

why?
Cost. not having to pay to charge at home (solar panels) nor at work and using the supercharger network will save me cash. plus it looks cool.
I still like the smell of petrol and the feeling of an ICE car, so will be keeping my 10 miles to the gallon convertible. Plus it's older than i am, so thats cool too. :p

Seriously, non-current-owners.

Go schedule a test drive. It's unlikely in most locations that you'll get to take a spin in a Model X just yet, since those (at least in my area) are for reservation holders right now....

but go take a ride in a Model S. Tell them you're a Model 3 reservation holder. They'll be very happy to "nerd out" with you on a test drive. Dave in Natick was fun to ride with, he genuinely enjoyed seeing my wife and I get all excited about our test drive, and since he put down his Employee Reservation, we mostly talked about the Model 3.

I figured it was time to "get a feel" for EV driving, and in a highway/surface road mix, it wasn't that difficult. Probably helps that the wife already has a CVT, doesn't feel that much different....ok, except maybe the acceleration.

I even let Autopilot handle ~3 miles. Exciting stuff.

Go schedule a test drive!! (we're probably going to go back at least once more, to let the wife get some seat time.....and of course if they have a "Meet the Model 3" event for reservation holders.)