Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IIHS 2016 EV/Hybrid Crash Tests - Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While this sounds disappointing, is it fair to say that the Tesla is still a far more safer car than competitors due to automatic emergency braking? Assuming your not using AP, does the Tesla provide any additional safety features that other car's don't yet?

You can get Automatic Emergency Braking on a Hyundai, Chevrolet, Toyota, Subaru, Nissan, Mazda, Chrysler, VW......you get the picture.

• Informative
Reactions: oktane
Interesting (& disappointing) results - will be high on Musk's agenda now...ouch - dropped the ball slightly on P100D & roof...

I am confused with respect to the applicability of these ratings to the car's manufacturing dates..

* This rating applies to cars built after Oct 2016 (mine was built in Sept). hhmm. but there were likely no difference to the design/structure compared to any other facelift car (built since Mid 2016). So why doesn't it affect all facelift cars? Even facelift cars didn't have any structural changes as I understand it - so the small offset rating should apply to all Tesla Model Ss. Wouldn't it?
* Poor headlights in 2017 cars. Again, I don't think the headlights were updated since the facelift? So all facelift headlights should have poor rating, right?

Bet Tesla wasn't looking for this "distraction" during their rush for M3 production.
Posted this in the other thread; basically there were a series of improvements made in 2016 to improve IIHS crash performance:

Tesla & BMW Fall Short in IIHS Safety Tests

"Improvements over time: Today we learn that Tesla made changes in 2016 to improve IIHS test performance. Models built after August 2016 have improved head restraints. Models built after September 2016 have redesigned curtain airbags for improved small overlap performance. Models built after October 2016 have reinforced B-pillars and roofrails, as well as deployment guides for the side curtain airbags, for improved side impact protection and roof strength."

So, did they actually test the roof strength again? It seems a bit odd, or just base it off a calculation? It seems a bit odd that a vehicle with a roof structure so strong that it actually broke the testing machine the first time, is now getting a downgraded "acceptable" rating for only a 6% change in weight.
Yes the IIHS does test it and you can read the crush performance on their website. The earlier report of a machine breaking looks to be an exaggeration given the good but not exceptional score.

Last edited:
I am disappointed about the headlight performance. Why does it take IIHS to test this for Tesla to make improvement? These headlights are not new and inadequacies in performance should be noted during vendor / prototype evaluation. Paying $100k+ for a vehicle where a basic component under-performs is disappointing. I have a 90D that is about to enter production next week, I wonder if I can get it delayed by a couple of months so this can be sorted out first.

Yes the IIHS does test it and you can read the crush performance on their website. The earlier report of a machine breaking looks to be an exaggeration given the good but not exceptional score.
Maybe someone knows for sure, but it's my understanding that there have been B pillar changes between that original test and this one. It was one of the few components made of steel, so could have been a candidate for weight reduction if they thought they could do so without sacrificing strength.

I am disappointed about the headlight performance. Why does it take IIHS to test this for Tesla to make improvement? These headlights are not new and inadequacies in performance should be noted during vendor / prototype evaluation. Paying $100k+ for a vehicle where a basic component under-performs is disappointing. I have a 90D that is about to enter production next week, I wonder if I can get it delayed by a couple of months so this can be sorted out first.

This should not be too surprising once Tesla decided to save some money to go with LED reflectors design rather than LED projectors for the headlights.

LEDs are not necessarily better than HID, and projectors are not always better than reflectors. But in tight spots and very small space for each light element as in Tesla headlights design, projectors would give you much better light control than reflectors.

Seriously, if Toyota Corolla can put a LED projector as standard equipment in a $20k car, Tesla has no excuse not to use one in a $100+ car.
And yes, the Toyota Corolla single LED projector performed better than the Tesla LED matrix reflectors.

This should not be too surprising once Tesla decided to save some money to go with LED reflectors design rather than LED projectors for the headlights.

LEDs are not necessarily better than HID, and projectors are not always better than reflectors. But in tight spots and very small space for each light element as in Tesla headlights design, projectors would give you much better light control than reflectors.

Seriously, if Toyota Corolla can put a LED projector as standard equipment in a $20k car, Tesla has no excuse not to use one in a $100+ car.
And yes, the Toyota Corolla single LED projector performed better than the Tesla LED matrix reflectors.

Tesla won't hesitate to compromise your safety in exchange for saving $20 per side in a proper LED projector. When I first picked up my car I kept rubbing my eyes thinking I was just really tired, wondering why I couldn't see the lanes as well as usual. In addition to the general build of the car, the door seals, the single-pane glass, the poor sound insulation, the crappy headlights make me feel great about my $155,000 purchase!

Oh, and improper roll cage testing, badly designed seat belts, lack of AP, lack of entry level collision avoidance features..........great job Tesla I recommend all my friends wait until the next iteration on EV ... and after reading this probably from a competitor that puts safety first over profits and gizmos that don't even work (what do the 8 cameras do on my car again?).

Interesting reading .... Tesla Model S fails to achieve top IIHS crash rating, made ‘production change’ last week to improve results

upload_2017-2-1_22-31-37.png

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
Not going to happen. If Tesla would change/improve the headlights, then it would only be for new productions.

I love the look of the led lights, but not the performance.

Certainly not Tesla, but I'm sure at least a few companies will come out with upgrade kits.

I got an upgrade kit for my Jeep Wrangler which had the worst lights I've ever used. Completely, and totally inexcusable.

It is even feasible to upgrade the headlights aftermarket? How would any adaptive turn optics work?
My delivery manager said that Tesla is making some changes to address the short comings highlighted by IIHS tests, I pressed him for specifics and will post what I find out here.

Super disappointing. The Model S doesn't just come to a stop when it hits the wall, it bounces back. I can't imagine how hard that would be on your neck.

By comparison, the Volvo S90 just keeps on chuggin'

This crash type is something Volvo specifically identified long ago as a potential problem. They'd been testing and designing their cars to perform well in this type of crash since before the IIHS even started testing for it. There's some discussion of it when the new test was launched here:

In general, they've placed a strong rigid brace from the front crash structure up to the A pillar, which results in the deflection of the vehicle so it can maintain momentum. For example, the XC90 is considered to have aced the test:

There's no reason Tesla couldn't replicate these results. Even with the crash structure as-is, there's a pretty good chance the Model S would have gotten a good rating if the seat belts had performed better. So Tesla's in a pretty good spot here. Time to utilize that rolling improvement process, I think.

• Informative
Reactions: chadever
It seems from the video that everything in front of and around the wheel gives way nicely, but then behind the wheel something mush sturdier hits the barrier and stops the car's forward progress quite violently.

I wonder if it isn't the battery pack which just after the wheel comes out to the edge of the car.

upload_2017-2-2_15-43-11.png

Maybe a better design would make it more of a V shape to glance/deflect off those immovable object hits.

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-2_15-42-27.png
    upload_2017-2-2_15-42-27.png
    545.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gizmotoy