Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IIHS Small Overlap Front Crash Test (2nd Attempt): Only Acceptable again.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am disappointed in the the results, especially in the failure of the fix that was supposedly applied on Jan 2017, as well as
Tesla's evasive response.

I just took delivery of my s100d and a large part of the reason why I went ahead was the believe that this is one of the safest vehicle. I am fully aware of the lack of top score on the IIHS small overlap test but believed Tesla's assertion that the fix applied starting late Jan 2017 would have addressed it.

Did Tesla not have the engineering expertise to know that their Jan 2017 change wasn't enough to improve the results? Or did they just not admit to it willingly to avoid impacting sales in the short term at the result of long term trust? Also what is up with he headlights? They said they were working with the supplies to improve hem but they are still pretty bad and worse then their own last generation headlamp.

Whatever fix that is yet to come is too late for me as a model s owner. But as a tesla share holder (small time one though), I do hope Tesla will up their game here and soon.

Reactions: ikjadoon and oktane
I am disappointed in the the results, especially in the failure of the fix that was supposedly applied on Jan 2017, as well as

I just took delivery of my s100d and a large part of the reason why I went ahead was the believe that this is one of the safest vehicle. I am fully aware of the lack of top score on the IIHS small overlap test but believed Tesla's assertion that the fix applied starting late Jan 2017 would have addressed it.

Did Tesla not have the engineering expertise to know that their Jan 2017 change wasn't enough to improve the results? Or did they just not admit to it willingly to avoid impacting sales in the short term at the result of long term trust? Also what is up with he headlights? They said they were working with the supplies to improve hem but they are still pretty bad and worse then their own last generation headlamp.

Whatever fix that is yet to come is too late for me as a model s owner. But as a tesla share holder (small time one though), I do hope Tesla will up their game here and soon.

Not to beat a dead horse, but might as well, the 100D also missed the top score in the roof strength test and of course the headlight test as well.

Reactions: ikjadoon

Tesla is in top 10 in terms of lowest personal injury claim rate of any vehicle, according to IIHS. Check out here: Insurance loss information

These injury rate are obviously based on real world crash, and real world death/injury.

Tesla is in top 10 in terms of lowest personal injury claim rate of any vehicle, according to IIHS. Check out here: Insurance loss information

These injury rate are obviously based on real world crash, and real world death/injury.

A Porsche Convertible is far lower than the Model S. Would you feel safe playing chicken with a Suburban in a 911 'vert? Or driving off the side of a mountain road?

A Porsche Convertible is far lower than the Model S. Would you feel safe playing chicken with a Suburban in a 911 'vert?

@McRat, as others have stated in this thread that list does not appear to be normalized for mileage so cars that you would expect to get driven less (like the Boxster/911) dominate the list.

As I mentioned in a post above, the IIHS itself reported that the Model S gets driven more than the other luxury sedans. So it easily could be the safest of the bunch on a per mile basis -- I'm just not sure the IIHS makes the data available in that form, which is too bad.

I believe the Model S and X are among the safer cars available today. However, saying World's #1 Safest, Another Saved My Life Testimonial, Tesla Breaks Testing Equipment Because It's Sooo Much Stronger Than Anything Tested, AutoPilot Makes Cars 40% Safer, Etc, Etc, ever since Model S Day One, only to find that a lot of it was known to be hype by Tesla Motors isn't a real confidence builder when reading any kind of specification release by Tesla Headquarters.

It's a great car, why lie?

Last edited:
I believe the Model S and X are among the safer cars available today. However, saying World's #1 Safest, Another Saved My Life Testimonial, Tesla Breaks Testing Equipment Because It's Sooo Much Stronger Than Anything Tested, AutoPilot Makes Cars 40% Safer, Etc, Etc, ever since Model S Day One, only to find that a lot of it was known to be hype by Tesla Motors isn't a real confidence builder when reading any kind of specification release by Tesla Headquarters.

I've been around enough tech entrepreneurs to know that they almost all do this.

As an engineer I acknowledge that this is annoying as &@#! Tech sector business people tell me all the time that their ideas and companies are worth so much money and that their products are so much better than anything else, blah blah.

Hype is part of the game. Being pissed off at it becomes pointless after awhile because it can't be escaped from. I've told people to STFU about hype... and the next day I hear more hype from them.

Best to just judge the product on its merits and move on.

People can grumble about Elon till the end of time and he will not change nor give a $&@! that people are annoyed with his marketing showman act. It's who is is. And unlike many other he eventually makes good on what he says he'll accomplish.

Everyone really needs to take a step back from these arguments. To say a Tesla is a safe or not safe car based on a single very limited physical parameter test is absolutely ridiculou
It's not that they are not safe or even very safe. It's that Tesla and Elon hyped the safety as the safest car ever for years and after the NCAP now also the IIHS puts a big question mark after that claim.

Hype in the tech industry might work and be fine, but when it comes to safety one should really be careful especially when repeating it over and over and over again.

I think it all began after Elon ousted the original founders and creators of Model S, and started working with Wall St. Those founders seem hype-less creators, and Wall St hates them :(

• Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand
I think it all began after Elon ousted the original founders and creators of Model S, and started working with Wall St. Those founders seem hype-less creators, and Wall St hates them :(

Hype was part of the Tesla "sell" from the beginning.

Mark Tarpenning and Martin Eberhard, the original founders of Tesla, didn't even have a prototype, so they borrowed a Tzero from AC Propulsion as a demonstration car for their pitch to the Venture Capitalist community. Tesla's marketing was basically that they would build something more thrilling than a high end Italian sports car, and that this other company's Tzero car was sort of what they were looking to build.

I reviewed the data. The car causes 50% fewer costs in bodily injury, costs 30% more to fix in an MVA, costs twice as much to fix in comprehensive ( hitting a deer, the cheapest part of your insurance due to low probability), and drives more miles than an MB S series. The Audi A7 (still higher bodily injury by 10-20%) is more similar to the Tesla but does run 20% cheaper in general. When one remembers that the bodily injury insurance is capped off at $50,000 or $100,000, and catastrophic injuries (head injuries, liver and spleen injuries will run well over the cap and thus be under represented) are the biggest concern (ER visits with full work up will run $10,000 or more even with no injury found), one understands that the Tesla is the "safest" car by their own data. This data is only valid through 2015 BTW.

The article discusses the Tesla compared to other luxury cars that are 30% less expensive when talking about excess repair costs. That is a design failure or done with motive. The MB S series is more comparable IMHO. That is my critique of the article's study design.

I care most about my and my families bodies and the cost of car repair a distant second.

Safest. Look at the links provided by our fellows. There is of course always room for improvement. The metal portion of the bumper could be extended to slow the car in this type of accident but this would cause it to be more likely to spin. Does this increase or decrease overall injuries? Or would it trigger the seat belt quicker? Would a different seat belt be better?

Safest.

Last edited:
Please check all the tables that IIHS has online. When I reviewed all the tables, the safest car. The SAFEST car on the list. PERIOD.

On the list 100 is average. The lowest risk of bodily injury is the Tesla at 39. The second lowest risk for cost of medical costs at 51. This list includes Luxury SUVs.
Which list or set tables are you referring to? Do you have a link?

Dang, this thread debate is sweet!

I remember a couple of years ago, before I owned a model S, I replied to a survey request on consumer reports and said I thought they were biased when they said the p90D broke the scoring charts. But now, after owning this car. I think that score was accurate... It was so superior to anything else out there in so many ways, and I believe it is absolutely the best production car in the world!

I wonder if it is the safest car in the world, when controlling for user error, for example, touchscreen distraction and people doing crazy launches.

Regarding the IIHS test... the headlights are better now... and can be improved with software...

I'm curious if the weight of the car and the location of that weight has something to do with the small overlap results. Also, the roof test was a weight ratio issue as well? I think the dummy hitting it's head on the steering wheel is the bigger issue here. That really does need to be addressed. What do you guys think?

Regarding the IIHS test... the headlights are better now... and can be improved with software...

Are the headlights really better? I don't think they can be improved via software, probably a swap of he entire assembly. I only hope they can be retrofitted on our current gen 2016 refresh cars. I drove a pre-refresh loaner for a few months before getting my new 2017 model S and can say that the old HID projector are a lot better than the new style LED

Reactions: FlatSix911
.... There is of course always room for improvement. The metal portion of the bumper could be extended to slow the car in this type of accident but this would cause it to be more likely to spin. Does this increase or decrease overall injuries? Or would it trigger the seat belt quicker? Would a different seat belt be better?......

Deflection was a valid technique for minimizing damage, (refer European curved bumpers after WWII)

the IIHS small overlap front test is one the better tests for being representative of common accidents. It can be a challenge to adjust for newer tests, without affecting the crumple zone in others. Tesla does need to fix this.

For an example of how to do it right and wrong, see F150
IIHS: 2015 Ford F-150 Crash Tests Reveal Disparate Results Between Crew Cab and Extended Cab

Tesla has a particular challenge, their battery goes too far forward to make this an easy test.
because of the Tesla pancake battery, this test is even more relevant, significantly more so.

• Informative
Reactions: Spidy