Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Illinois EV registration proposal to increase fee to $1000/year!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s unfortunate
It’s so sad watching what this state is becoming.

Arizona is looking better and better by the day
Because that’s what IL is doing. An EV fee to fund roads. Except ILs is unreasonable and CAs is reasonable.

Tomas was just responding to my comment about CA fees next year (and a more reasonable EV fee relative to IL). I agree that states need to impose a fee but it should be fair across all variants, plugin hybrids and such.

If it works in a fundamentally different way, it's not equitable.
Itsnotaboutthemoney,itsabouttheprinciple,right?

I’m usually in that place but I understand that most states have existing paradigm of gas tax which is hard to replicate/track for EVs, so unless they completely redo auto taxation, they will have a different mechanism for EVs.

Amendment 4 to this bill has reduced the fee to $300/yr but it isn’t clear, from the legislative record, whether it was part of the final set of bills passed on 1 June.

While certainly more palatable and closer to the calculated average contribution being made by the increase in the gas tax, it still falls short of equitable based on many arguments made here. Additionally, the allocation of funds isn’t handled the same way from the two sources so whether the funds will actually support infrastructure improvements at all remains unclear.

Balancing the scales continues to be a difficult proposition with oily thumbs pressing ever so persistently in opposition to the clean air on the lighter side. I want to support my state’s infrastructure but doing my part shouldn’t be an unshared burden and it shouldn’t discourage others from doing the same just so the rich can get richer at the expense of future generations.

Just for reference, NC charges me an annual $130 EV fee on top of my $51 registration. With our gas tax, that works out to the equivalent of driving a 35 mpg car 15,000 miles per year. Seems "fair" to me. Now, my total DMV bill is almost $1400, but the rest is the 1.3% county property tax (same tax we pay on homes, boats, etc) that gets collected at the same time, that pays for schools, police, fire, etc. It does drive home the sobering point that my car is worth almost as much as the average home in some rural counties around me.

Pol: What should the EV tax be?
Aid: About $300 per year
Pol: $300! They'll rip me a new one!
Aid: So propose $1000, then "negotiate" down to $300.
Pol: Genius! They'll be so happy not to pay $1000 they'll beg for $300.

Amendment 4 to this bill has reduced the fee to $300/yr but it isn’t clear, from the legislative record, whether it was part of the final set of bills passed on 1 June.

BINGO. Got it in one, Mr. Garibaldi.

Yup.

Well, in this case, they negotiated down to $248 (might be $245?) which is actually $100 more than the new ICE registration fee and, with the new gas tax, runs out to about the average ICE owners will pay.

Of course, those of us who drive less than average will take a hit and the ICE drivers who fuel up in Indiana will stick it to the man (undermine the infrastructure funding concept) plus the plug in hybrids (and regular hybrids) aren’t getting the extra fee so dealer gas and all. Also, let’s not forget the fact that the fund allocations are iffy at best (hey, it’s Illinois, right!) so we’ll never really know how much infrastructure is actually being bolstered.

As a point of reference, I live in WA state. When I got my fisr Tesla, tabs were under $300. Today they are over $1,000 for each of the Teslas we own. They got rid of any EV incentives which a Tesla could qualify for too, you know, if you can afford a Tesla you don't need no tax breaks.

Just read on electrek that the tax will be $248 vs $29 or so I was paying with my Illinois EL plates

Question
1. When does this come into effect?
2. To qualify for the $29 registration you had to get EL plates. If I wanted customized plates, does anyone know what the cost would be?

Just read on electrek that the tax will be $248 vs $29 or so I was paying with my Illinois EL plates

Question
1. When does this come into effect?
2. To qualify for the $29 registration you had to get EL plates. If I wanted customized plates, does anyone know what the cost would be?
I have not had vanity plates for years. Used to be roughly $50 premium over regular.

For perspective, EV registration is now $100 per year more than ICE. So that’s the EV tax. $100. We used to get an incentive. Oh well. Not enough to influence sales, so that’s what’s important.