Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Illinois rebate program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone submit their application for the 4k rebate in Illinois?

What documentation did you use? I believe it requires:

Copy of purchase agreement
Proof of purchase
Illinois vehicle registration
W-9

I think the MVPA pages on vehicle configuration and final price sheet satisfy 1 and 2. Not sure on if you have to wait for vehicle registration or temp card will do? W-9 is explanatory.

Hoping anyone who has been successful can share their knowledge.

Thanks!

I just got an email today 11/16 from “NoReply” with subject “Illinois Payment Information”

I’m glad I didn’t delete it as spam before reading it—the Illinois Comptroller confirmed they sent the $4k rebate on 11/15.

I had sent my rebate application on 9/23 and tracked receipt on 9/26.

Reactions: EV3_
Upvote 0
Which document is the "purchase agreement" ? I don't see anything with that title or showing it's an Illinois seller. I have loan documents.
Which document did you use that was accepted?
Hi, I just took delivery of my MY today, and I also have the same question. Did you end up using the MVPA and MVOA? Any idea if there is a Dealership’s License Number? Thanks a lot

Upvote 0
Did you just take a picture of your plate? I did that and sent a copy of the application, and was denied, even though in the faq's it said a copy of the plate would suffice. I still haven't received my official registration yet, and I bought the car in mid September
I had to send in an appeal with a copy of their faq's. The dealer I bought my car from said there was some sort of problem with registration (maybe transfer of my vanity plates caused issues?). I got a letter a week ago saying I won my appeal, and got my rebate check Friday.

Reactions: weekenddays
Upvote 0
Anyone that took delivery in Dec 2022 submitted their Rebate yet? Do you get a notification that they received the rebate application? How long after they receive the application do they start the payment process or know if it's approved or denied?
I applied back in July and got the payment in October I believe so I think they pay after the quarter ends - but no, there was no notification that they received the app. I just checked the online payment portal one day and it was processed. In hindsight I kind of wish I sent the envelope certified so I knew they actually got it….

Upvote 0
1/11/23 NOTICE: The current number of applications that have been received by the Illinois EPA seeking a rebate under the Electric Vehicle Rebate Program has surpassed the amount of available funding. Applicants that qualify as “Low-Income” per the guidelines are prioritized for rebate issuance and may continue to submit applications through the application deadline of January 31, 2023, see information on applying below. As specified in the law, program rules, IEPA EV Rebate website, and FAQ, rebate applications are subject to the availability of funds. A third cycle for rebate applications will open when additional funding becomes available.

• Informative
Reactions: weekenddays
Upvote 0
Anyone have any idea on when the rebate funding will be available again ?
It seems my purchase date will be when I signed the official papers.

The 90 day from purchase rule seems kind of unfair since people who buy it later will still get a tax rebate when I bought it new as well and potentially wont get one now.

I just put in an order for a Model Y Long Range today due to the big price drop.

Upvote 0
Yes, when you go for your delivery, you take the rebate form with and they will sign it
The eligibility requirements state that the vehicle must be purchased from a dealer located in Illinois and licensed by the Illinois Secretary of State, but Tesla sells cars directly to the consumer, not through a dealer, so how does this work? Is it based on the location and licensing of the Tesla Delivery Center where you pick-up your car? I live in Illinois near St. Louis, so I assume I cannot take delivery at the St. Louis Tesla Delivery Center if I want to be eligible for the $4,000 IEPA rebate. Is that correct? Does the location of your delivery center also determine in which state your Tesla is titled and registered, because I don't want to have to transfer title and registration to Illinois. Finally, does anyone know if you can reduce the amount of sales tax you pay if you trade-in your car to Tesla? Thanks so much!

Upvote 0
Program Information - as of September 29, 2022 (data updated weekly)

Low Income Applications Received160
Low Income Rebates Awarded58
Non-Low Income Applications Received2036
Non-Low Income Rebates Awarded0
Thanks for this running total. Any updates on these numbers? The state says on their website that they have run out of money but I’m guess that is not actually the case…

Guess we just got swindled by Illinois once again…

Upvote 0
Thanks for this running total. Any updates on these numbers? The state says on their website that they have run out of money but I’m guess that is not actually the case…

Guess we just got swindled by Illinois once again…
You can go to the link I provided in a few posts above. There's an updated chart in that page. It gets updated about every week. No one is getting swindled. With the current amount of submissions, they will exceed the monies allocated to this program for the fiscal year. So they stopped taking submissions.

Upvote 0
You can go to the link I provided in a few posts above. There's an updated chart in that page. It gets updated about every week. No one is getting swindled. With the current amount of submissions, they will exceed the monies allocated to this program for the fiscal year. So they stopped taking submissions.
The last 3 times I have checked this link: https://illinoiscomptroller.gov/vendor-services/vendor-payments-new (not sure why you just didn’t paste what link you are referring to) it hasn’t worked which is why I asked the question.

advertising the program, getting people to buy a NEW car (regardless of income), and then hiding behind an arbitrary allotment is the definition of getting swindled. Even the cheapest new Tesla’s sales tax pays for more than the rebate. No reason to stop the program unless the goal was to make money in the first place…

Upvote 0