Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Illinois rebate program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone submit their application for the 4k rebate in Illinois?

What documentation did you use? I believe it requires:

Copy of purchase agreement
Proof of purchase
Illinois vehicle registration
W-9

I think the MVPA pages on vehicle configuration and final price sheet satisfy 1 and 2. Not sure on if you have to wait for vehicle registration or temp card will do? W-9 is explanatory.

Hoping anyone who has been successful can share their knowledge.

Thanks!

I just recently realized that there was an EV rebate in IL! The dealership didn't mention anything and I didn't do my due diligence. Blame is on me.

I have a couple of questions and I'd appreciate if someone would answer them for me.

1. I have the MVPA from Tesla. It has the detailed final price sheet which shows that I owe $0 to the dealer, since I took a loan from a credit union.

For points 1 and 2 for application for the rebate, will just the MVPA do? Since I don't owe anything to Tesla and it states that in section 6 of the MVPA. Or do I include documents for the loan from the CU?

2. The application form needs a dealership number as well as signature. Can I go to a dealership closer to me (incidentally, the one I ordered from) or do I have to actually go to one further away, which was where the car was in inventory and delivery was done from?

I appreciate any and all responses!

Before I answer your questions, I have one for you…

Do you qualify as a “low-income” applicant as defined in the application instructions?

If not, I believe your chances of getting the rebate are very low.

As shown on the IL EV Rebate website, there have already been more than 5,000 applications submitted and there’s only enough money for 3,000 rebates. Low-income applicants get priority, so if you qualify then you’re probably in luck. If not, then not. After income, the next priority is given by the postmark date on the application, so you will be at the back of the line.

As for your questions…

1. I think the MVPA works, based on what I read on the earlier pages of this thread.
I couldn’t find a MVPA myself, so I used a “Motor Vehicle Bill of Sale” that my Tesla Advisor emailed me when I texted them asking about the MVPA.

2. I took delivery from Westmont but got my application signed when I was at Naperville/Lisle for a service appt. They told me it didn’t matter where it gets signed. I took them at their word — hopefully they knew what they were talking about. 😬🤞

Reactions: VipinLJ
Upvote 0
Before I answer your questions, I have one for you…

Do you qualify as a “low-income” applicant as defined in the application instructions?

If not, I believe your chances of getting the rebate are very low.

As shown on the IL EV Rebate website, there have already been more than 5,000 applications submitted and there’s only enough money for 3,000 rebates. Low-income applicants get priority, so if you qualify then you’re probably in luck. If not, then not. After income, the next priority is given by the postmark date on the application, so you will be at the back of the line.

As for your questions…

1. I think the MVPA works, based on what I read on the earlier pages of this thread.
I couldn’t find a MVPA myself, so I used a “Motor Vehicle Bill of Sale” that my Tesla Advisor emailed me when I texted them asking about the MVPA.

2. I took delivery from Westmont but got my application signed when I was at Naperville/Lisle for a service appt. They told me it didn’t matter where it gets signed. I took them at their word — hopefully they knew what they were talking about. 😬🤞
Yup. I checked the website and saw that. I thought I might send it in anyway since I have nothing to lose

1. I had the MVPA in my Tesla account as well as a copy they gave me during delivery. I believe that should be good.

2. I called my advisor today morning and they said I can stop at any Tesla dealer in IL and they'll sign it for me. I was curious because I read somewhere (either here or on Reddit) that all Tesla dealers don't sign (especially outside Chicago) the form. But yes. Apparently they do now. He also said they'll give me a Bill of Sale to send along with my application.

Upvote 0
They recently started awarding rebates to non-low income applicants.

1706735016788.png

I sure hope I got my application in early enough to make the cut. 😬🤞

Upvote 0
They recently started awarding rebates to non-low income applicants.

View attachment 1014084

I sure hope I got my application in early enough to make the cut. 😬🤞
I just saw that as well. I mailed mine certified mail on Nov 1. I received the delivery receipt from USPS and I did not receive any denial or incomplete application notice so I assume my application is good. I was only eligible if it was postmarked Nov 1 because I bought EXACTLY 90 days prior to Nov 1.

You should have a very good chance if you mailed the first day. I think they had something like 2,500 applications as of Nov 7. Who knows how many of those were postmarked Nov 1 though.

As a side note, while this program is better than nothing, it sucks we have to basically just get lucky on funding and timing. Other states are handling it differently. The funding has been dwindling every year too. FY 2025 is probably going to be even less.

Upvote 0
I was starting to get nervous that I hadn't received anything yet, so I was reading through the FAQs and stumbled on a link to the comptroller's website where you can search for pending payments: https://illinoiscomptroller.gov/vendor-services/vendor-payments-new

I punched in my SSN and name under "Vendor Payments", and lo and behold, a pending $4000 payment comes up that was approved on Feb 9th. Woohoo! 🥳🤑

Upvote 0
I was starting to get nervous that I hadn't received anything yet, so I was reading through the FAQs and stumbled on a link to the comptroller's website where you can search for pending payments: https://illinoiscomptroller.gov/vendor-services/vendor-payments-new

I punched in my SSN and name under "Vendor Payments", and lo and behold, a pending $4000 payment comes up that was approved on Feb 9th. Woohoo! 🥳🤑
Congrats!

I've been checking the Comptroller site but no dice so far. ☹️ You got me worried now. Lol

Upvote 0
When did you send your forms in? I sent it mid-Jan. I don't fall in the low-income category. I got my check last week.
How the hell did you get it when you sent it in January? They had exceeded the number of applicants that would use up the entire $12 million in mid November. They are supposed to issue them in order based on postmark.

I sent it Nov 1, certified mail.

Reactions: jsmay311
Upvote 0
How the hell did you get it when you sent it in January? They had exceeded the number of applicants that would use up the entire $12 million in mid November. They are supposed to issue them in order based on postmark.

I sent it Nov 1, certified mail.
I’m similarly perplexed by that claim. It shouldn’t be possible based on what we know.

I’d think you should be safe, having mailed yours on Nov 1st. There are lots more rebates still yet to be awarded based on the latest numbers posted online as of Feb 13th. They seem to be taking their time.

IMG_7082.jpeg

Reactions: TRDFRG
Upvote 0
I just saw that as well. I mailed mine certified mail on Nov 1. I received the delivery receipt from USPS and I did not receive any denial or incomplete application notice so I assume my application is good. I was only eligible if it was postmarked Nov 1 because I bought EXACTLY 90 days prior to Nov 1.

You should have a very good chance if you mailed the first day. I think they had something like 2,500 applications as of Nov 7. Who knows how many of those were postmarked Nov 1 though.

As a side note, while this program is better than nothing, it sucks we have to basically just get lucky on funding and timing. Other states are handling it differently. The funding has been dwindling every year too. FY 2025 is probably going to be even less.
Same here. Mailed on Nov 1 and saw nothing in the mail or comptroller's website. If people mailed in Jan have already received the check, I have to believe their claim of processing based on the mail date is BS.

Upvote 0
Same here. Mailed on Nov 1 and saw nothing in the mail or comptroller's website. If people mailed in Jan have already received the check, I have to believe their claim of processing based on the mail date is BS.
It's in JCAR administrative rule on issuing rebates in the order they received them so they have to stick to that.

My only other thinking is that they already awarded all the applications based on the amount of funds available and the Comptroller is issuing payment in no particular order. However, odds are that someone that applied in January wouldn't have gotten it due to the amount of applications they received in November alone.

Upvote 0
It's in JCAR administrative rule on issuing rebates in the order they received them so they have to stick to that.

My only other thinking is that they already awarded all the applications based on the amount of funds available and the Comptroller is issuing payment in no particular order. However, odds are that someone that applied in January wouldn't have gotten it due to the amount of applications they received in November alone.
Their website says: Rebate information will not be found at the below link until after invoices are sent to the Comptroller's Office. This could suggest they didn't process all applications and send the invoice in one batch.

It is also interesting they say in Q&A that the application will be processed based on postmark date order but in in JCAR administrative the application is processed in the order they received them.

Upvote 0
It is also interesting they say in Q&A that the application will be processed based on postmark date order but in in JCAR administrative the application is processed in the order they received them.
I noticed that as well. Mine arrived November 3. I doubt they received any on November 2. I mailed Nov 1 but I live just outside of Springfield.

I wonder what they do when they get to the end of the funding and don't have enough to finish the applications received on a particular day.

I'm tempted to FOIA for award information. I believe they would have to provide the applications that were awarded with redacted personal information.

Upvote 0
I noticed that as well. Mine arrived November 3. I doubt they received any on November 2. I mailed Nov 1 but I live just outside of Springfield.

I wonder what they do when they get to the end of the funding and don't have enough to finish the applications received on a particular day.

I'm tempted to FOIA for award information. I believe they would have to provide the applications that were awarded with redacted personal information.
You are definitely in the earliest group. I mailed on Nov 1 but it was delivered on Nov 6. When talked to USPS customer service, I was told that it was delayed because "the mail in Hazelwood, MO had to be redirected to another facility for processing due to a chemical spill. All of the mail destined for Springfield, IL goes through that Hazelwood office before arriving here". I saw online that many people who mailed on Nov 1 got theirs delivered on Nov 7, 8 or even 18.

Upvote 0
You are definitely in the earliest group. I mailed on Nov 1 but it was delivered on Nov 6. When talked to USPS customer service, I was told that it was delayed because "the mail in Hazelwood, MO had to be redirected to another facility for processing due to a chemical spill. All of the mail destined for Springfield, IL goes through that Hazelwood office before arriving here". I saw online that many people who mailed on Nov 1 got theirs delivered on Nov 7, 8 or even 18.
I just got a notification from the comptroller of the $4,000. Hope you get yours soon as well.

Reactions: jsmay311
Upvote 0
Wow. The rebates are being awarded real slow. Only 306 in the past 3 weeks according to the figures on the website.

Unless they pick up the pace significantly, it’ll take months before the rest get awarded.

View attachment 1025163
Yea, I noticed that as well. I've been checking the website daily and they've just slowly crept up since the initial 500 or so non-low income rebates were awarded. It's possible that they had pre-reviewed a bunch and we're sitting awaiting award.

Not sure how many people they have working on these. One person taking vacation for a week might slow things down drastically.

Upvote 0