Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm amazed at what owners don't know

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the console turns on there should be a tip of the day to highlight snippets of information which might otherwise be buried in the manual and would go unnoticed. Like many have said it's a computer on wheels so why not put functionality like this into it.
This is a great idea as well. Unfortunately, if they implemented it, some people would complain about it.

• Funny
Reactions: focher
Happened to park next to an identical Model 3 (well at least outwardly -she had ap I don't) at Costco. We started talking about the car - she had hers over a year, me 3 months.
She had no idea about this forum (which I referred her to)
She didn't know what sentry mode was (or that she could record an accident or.....) , etc.
The stuff that we know and discuss on here is not wide spread knowledge or apparently important to many drivers, but maybe Tesla could be a little more forthcoming about educating people about the car (at least the ones that don't inhabit youtube)
Later in the day I parked near a police car in a lot known for break ins. I asked him if it was still as bad, he said yes and asked if I had Sentry mode on. I said yes (but told him video is only available if the usb works and mine has been stopping intermittently for no reason). He didn't know that it isn't recorded automatically (but there is no reason he should - I was impressed that he knew about sentry and wanted to make sure I used it).

I was driving behind a 60+ y/o lady the other day in a brand new 3 that still had temporary plates. Her hazards were on and I behind her for at least 15 minutes on city roads. I was trying to see if something was wrong with the car, but it was accelerating and stopping just fine and seemed normal otherwise. Finally had a chance to pull up next to her at a light to let her know the hazards were on. She said she didn't know how they came on and had no idea how to turn them off. (And yet instead of pulling over somewhere to figure it out, she thought she'd just keep on driving without being able to signal for lane changes or turns.)

This is the type of person buying the car now. Regular dumb people, not early adopters or die hard Tesla fans. Hazards are not even an advanced control. The vast majority of people don't pore over the owner's manual to understand all the ins and outs of the car.

I'd rather have the hazard light switch on the headliner like on the M3 than around and behind the steering column like it is on a lot of cars to this day.
I'm with you, Dope. On the steering column is where you could hit it for half a dozen reasons. My wife's 9-2x Aero is between the air vents on the top of the center console. Places we reach for all the time. I like it where it is in the 3, and it's a lighted button. Easy to find.

Reactions: DopeGhoti
Hey Tesla...

Here's an idea for teaching drivers about the car.
Instead of a tip of the day or week via email or in the car...use some smarts.

For example the first time that a driver (by the profile in use) arrives at a Supercharger show a video animation of how fast they'll charge based on who they park next to or don't park next to.

Then use the knowledge of how many empty spots were at the station and if they parked next to someone when they didn't have to just spell it out on the screen...how long they are going to have to charge and how they are slowing down the other car as well.

Autopilot is going to require lots of driver education as well. This is more difficult to teach since you can't show a video while someone is driving.

Reactions: focher and sceptic
and maybe provide a way for those that "know" to give feedback on bugs that the updates cause (latest update caused me to be unable to engage sentry mode in any way - until I discovered that it won't turn on until you open the door or move seat back if you're using easy entry. It wasn't like this before - every time I get an upgrade it breaks something that was working before - but unlike my computer which I can choose not to update Tesla makes it very annoying to not update :( )

I think Tesla should set driver ratings based on bugs and other feedback. Five stars means the bug or feedback was relevant and accurate, then downrate from there. Those that just monologue about their complaints get a Larry David ONE STAR rating.

This is the type of person buying the car now. Regular dumb people, not early adopters or die hard Tesla fans.
Not all "regular" people are dumb - most are reasonably intelligent, just not with the same enthusiasm towards the car that the people on this forum have. To many, driving with the hazards on is not the smartest thing to do (even illegal in some parts), but that doesn't make the person dumb.

ALL cars have their enthusiasts who know a lot about their cars. Good for them. But if Tesla is to survive, it needs a lot of people who aren't as up on all the minutia of their car as the folks on this board.

Also, I bet there are a LOT more people who search for something about their Tesla and stumble across this board where they read and learn something but never sign up and post. Probably best if we didn't call them dumb.

and maybe provide a way for those that "know" to give feedback on bugs that the updates cause (latest update caused me to be unable to engage sentry mode in any way - until I discovered that it won't turn on until you open the door or move seat back if you're using easy entry. It wasn't like this before - every time I get an upgrade it breaks something that was working before - but unlike my computer which I can choose not to update Tesla makes it very annoying to not update :( )
Hold down the voice command button and say "Bug Report" followed by your comment

• Informative
Reactions: sceptic
Hold down the voice command button and say "Bug Report" followed by your comment
Does this work even in the standard (don't have anything but basic navigation, no web, traffic, etc.)? I will try it but given that I never get any feedback for anything from Tesla I won't know if it went anywhere.
Shouldn't there be a pop up or something when the updates happen saying to do this?

When I see someone driving with the hazard lights on, my interpretation is "Something is wrong with either the car or one of the persons in it; give it a wide berth as behavior may be erratic and unpredictable". Acting accordingly is usually best for everyone in the vicinity.