Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm New to TMC and have a few questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Bought my model 3 SR+ (no autopilot) in early December and love it. Since we live out in the country I also installed a Level 2 charger which suite all our needs since the nearest super charger is about an hour away. However we had to come to Boston for about 6 weeks (our first Long Road Trip) and noticed a one safety issue and some inconveniences.

1. Sudden deceleration while on cruise control. While cruising along at about 65 MPH I was going under a bridge that had a dark shadow under it. Upon approach, cruise control slowed drastically and quickly, i counteracted it by hitting the acceleration panel. This exact same thing happened later on with 2 other bridges and one asphalt patch going the width of the concrete highway. Needless to say, if there had been ice or another car following closely, it could have ended badly. I reported this as a bug to Tesla, but so far no response.

2. Overnight Range Loss when Cold. Before purchasing our Tesla Model 3, I researched this and there were reports of range loss that I thought were insignificant. However, I'm finding that when the temps drop to freezing, we lose about 15 -20 miles of range EACH night. This means I can't leave the Tesla at an airport for a week, or I have to be near a supercharger upon my return. Please note that Sentry mode doesn't make a lot of difference, and that the climate control is set to off. I There is a lot of discussion around cold battery range, so its hard for me to find this exact scenario.

3. Blank Entertainment Screen. While supercharging, we wanted to use Netflix and got a blank screen. I tried everything I could think of, reboot, etc and got no change. Fortunately a Tesla tech was recharging as well, so I asked him. He had me unplug my SSD, reboot and Netflix worked again. (Thanks Tesla Tech!) . His explanation was that my SSD was not a 256 Gb stick and this was a known problem. His solution was to ask me to go out and buy the 256 Gb stick. Instead, I checked 500Gb SSD and noticed that it was basically full. I reformatted, reinstalled, and everything seems to work. It would be nice if Tesla could warn when a disk is approaching full volume.

Thanks, all

Phantom braking is a known issue though it seems it has improved over time, perhaps not comforting to you with a brand new car. Keep your foot on the accelerator and as Tesla says, always be ready to take control which is this case means pressing the accelerator to override the know issue

A cold battery has less available power so some of what you say is expected; anecdotal evidence of same in my car this AM. It was charged to the same value I do every day but this am was pretty cold (for us) and the battery % dropped just because. Since I was going out soon, I turned on the climate control while the car was still plugged in to warm the cabin. It sat that way maybe 15mins and "magically" the battery % went up. There's also some drain if sentry mode etc are running.

My car has a 32GB high durability camera flash card and it has not given me any trouble with screen 'crashing' or other issues. Everything I've read suggested the car overwrites video files as needed so that is double odd

Enjoy the car, you'll get used to foibles soon enough :)

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and Akikiki
My car has a 32GB high durability camera flash card and it has not given me any trouble with screen 'crashing' or other issues. Everything I've read suggested the car overwrites video files as needed so that is double odd

There's 3 folders on the storage device-

the teslacam folder holds a rolling buffer of the last 1 hour of footage... this eats 7.2 GB, and it deletes old stuff as needed within that context.

There's the saved folder- this is 1.2 gigs of space taken for each 10 minute set of clips moved here from when you tap the camera button or honk the horn to permanently save footage. This is never erased except if you manually take out the storage and erase it.

There's the sentry folder- this is 1.2 gigs (or more) for each 10 minute set of clips (or more) from each time Sentry goes to either alert or alarm mode and moves them here. These do get over-written if the drive is otherwise near full (95% I think?)

The bad news in general though is that flash memory (all types) inherently gets much slower as the device fills up.

So best practice is to clear your storage out on a semi-regular basis.

I used a 128GB key for dashcam, and clean it out about once a quarter (and it's typically 50-75% full at that point)- 18 months of use and 0 issues.

Hi All,

Bought my model 3 SR+ (no autopilot) in early December and love it. Since we live out in the country I also installed a Level 2 charger which suite all our needs since the nearest super charger is about an hour away. However we had to come to Boston for about 6 weeks (our first Long Road Trip) and noticed a one safety issue and some inconveniences.

1. Sudden deceleration while on cruise control. While cruising along at about 65 MPH I was going under a bridge that had a dark shadow under it. Upon approach, cruise control slowed drastically and quickly, i counteracted it by hitting the acceleration panel. This exact same thing happened later on with 2 other bridges and one asphalt patch going the width of the concrete highway. Needless to say, if there had been ice or another car following closely, it could have ended badly. I reported this as a bug to Tesla, but so far no response.

2. Overnight Range Loss when Cold. Before purchasing our Tesla Model 3, I researched this and there were reports of range loss that I thought were insignificant. However, I'm finding that when the temps drop to freezing, we lose about 15 -20 miles of range EACH night. This means I can't leave the Tesla at an airport for a week, or I have to be near a supercharger upon my return. Please note that Sentry mode doesn't make a lot of difference, and that the climate control is set to off. I There is a lot of discussion around cold battery range, so its hard for me to find this exact scenario.

3. Blank Entertainment Screen. While supercharging, we wanted to use Netflix and got a blank screen. I tried everything I could think of, reboot, etc and got no change. Fortunately a Tesla tech was recharging as well, so I asked him. He had me unplug my SSD, reboot and Netflix worked again. (Thanks Tesla Tech!) . His explanation was that my SSD was not a 256 Gb stick and this was a known problem. His solution was to ask me to go out and buy the 256 Gb stick. Instead, I checked 500Gb SSD and noticed that it was basically full. I reformatted, reinstalled, and everything seems to work. It would be nice if Tesla could warn when a disk is approaching full volume.

Thanks, all
1) sudden decel due to strong shadows is a known issue. Seems more common in Winter, due to longer shadows. Check your software version, make sure you're on the latest. Don't expect a response.
2) 0.3miles/hr of loss is pretty normal for me on a cold night. You seem to be in the 1mile/hr range loss, which might indicate you've left something on. If, it's not Sentry mode, it could be Smart Summon Standby. Those have a tendency to drain at 1mile/hr.
3) The dash cam stuff is still pretty beta. Hopefully, things like notification of a full stick will be something they can add at some point.

There's the saved folder- this is 1.2 gigs of space taken for each 10 minute set of clips moved here from when you tap the camera button or honk the horn to permanently save footage. This is never erased except if you manually take out the storage and erase it.

I turned off honk==save clip

The bad news in general though is that flash memory (all types) inherently gets much slower as the device fills up.

True enough but the one I chose is for a digital camera and so far so good, and it's quick