Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm taking delivery on a model 3 tomorrow. Worried!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many Tesla vehicle components are provided by the same vendors that supply other manufacturers.
To further illustrate why this is wrong, from the PDF via Suppliers to the 2018 Tesla Model 3, the 3's steering column module comes from Kostal. I'd never heard of them before but found Steering column modules. We already a bunch of folks w/defective ones of these: PSA - left turn signal doesn't reset - defective steering control module.

Attached is a pic I took at Tokai Rika's booth at Tokyo Motor Show in 2015. The upper right one is for a Lexus GS. The lower right is for a MItsubishi Outlander PHEV. You can see a pic of this at Human Interface Systems and Controls | TOKAI RIKA CO., LTD., under Multi-Function Switch. Another pic is of shift levers, including ones for the Leaf and Toyota Mirai. I'm 95% sure they also supplied the shift lever mechanism for my 06 Prius. The earlier page also shows shift levers and mentions Prius.

Suppliers to the 2019 Nissan Leaf has a chart for '19 Leaf.

You can get an idea of what Calsonic shows off at auto shows at Archives of Past Exhibits:Calsonic Kansei - MarkLines Automotive Industry Portal. You can see the cockpit modules include the steering column module. (Yes, I've been to their booth at Tokyo Motor Show. Have attended the show over 5 separate years.)

Attachments

• P1130943.JPG
    P1130943.JPG
    238.7 KB · Views: 75
  • P1130935.JPG
    P1130935.JPG
    278.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I am scheduled to take delivery of a Model 3 tomorrow. I'm getting cold feet. I'm worried about quality, reliability and depreciation. I have done research for almost 2 years but I don't know if the model 3 will be as reliable as I hope. I've always had a Toyota/Lexus with no major issues. I put almost 30k miles a year on my cars. Everything makes sense to me IF Tesla's are reliable. Worried:(
Not sure but suspect depreciation will be high if Tesla goes belly up and they certainly aren’t out of the woods long term. So far they have benefitted greatly from having a wait list and the $7500 fed income tax credit, both of which will be gone in less than two years.

Buy a Lexus, support your Wyoming oil/gas economy and sleep like a baby. And don’t forget to Short TSLA.

You raise valid points. For you the Tesla is a transportation tool, and reliability and cost is critical to your ownership decision. I was concerned too, especially given Consumer Reports recent downgrade on the Tesla cars. But then I found this post - a YouTube video from Consumer Reports discussing reliability in general, and Tesla in particular:

Fast forward to the 9:33 mark on the video for the Tesla discussion. In the video the Consumer Reports team gives more details than the written publication provided. Among the interesting points. For Tesla Model S cars evaluated by Consumer Reports there were only about 1500 TOTAL consumer reports. Since many of those were early production cars, which had acknowledged problems, the "fail" rate for problems was very high, and given the limited number of consumer cars evaluated the problems became a larger percentage of the total number of reviews, providing a very poor rating.

That doesn't mean that you won't have problems, or that the problems are/were insignificant, but it does suggest that with more cars on the road, and significant changes in the production method over the year, reliability is likely better than Consumer Reports initially stated. They also comment on the Model X - which had very poor reviews and reliability ratings - and noted that a significant portion of the poor reliability ratings related to "gimmicks" - features that are somewhat unique to Tesla and had issues with usability and other problems (10:10 on the video). These items create reliability downgrades, but don't necessarily reflect the disability and other issues.

On the Model S they note that Tesla made production changes that made the air suspension standard. That system had "issues" when it was first designed and the downgrade of the Model S is related to the Air Suspension problems. (12:00 on the video). They also note that the Tesla S has more options than it did originally, which also affect reliability. Features such as dual wheel drive, upgraded navigation, etc. All of these features, at least initially, had some glitches, and with the small sample size it affects the rating (12:45 on the video).

The CR video describes their average rating for the Model 3 at 12:55 on the video. There they state that the initial Model 3 was RWD only, with limited variations as most of the cars were LR Deluxe interior cars. Reliability was also based on few cars, but with less complexity the reliability was better than the S or X with more options and more things to cause problems. I suspect that as AWD and Performance versions of the Model 3 become more common it's possible that Model 3 reliability will fall somewhat.

CR reports also suggests that if you are concerned with long term reliability (on any car) consider leasing instead of owning. That gets you into the car, and limits long term reliability issues, although at a higher net cost (leasing is more expensive). 14:06 on the video discusses this for all cars. Another option is to buy a long term extended reliability, also offsetting potential costs.

I'm not suggesting that the Tesla will be without problems, but it is worth noting the methodology that Consumer Reports uses, recognizing that small sample sizes can distort results and production changes also impact ratings.

Good luck regardless of the car you decide to buy.

Of course there are some horror stories out there. But Tesla already delivered over 100,000 cars (guestimated total production at 121,000 on Bloomberg today). If it was such a terrible car, you would see them dropping like flies left and right....

Expect some minor quality control issues, be pleasantly surprised if they are not there. If the quality issues are significant, don't take delivery until the local service fixes them. Once the minor problems are fixed, the car is quite good. On our third Tesla now, (and second model 3), we still love them.

If you plan to use the car long term and are concerned over out-of-warranty costs, just buy an extended warranty plan once that becomes available. If Tesla ends up not offering the extended warranty , you can sell the car before warranty expires.

I had my first out-of-warranty repair on my 2014 S85 last week. (I didn't purchase the Extended Agreement. High-rolling Gambler here) 78,000 miles. Driver door external handle presented, but did not actuate, inner handle still worked.

The out-of-pocket was ... ...$41.00 plus tax.
OMG
WTF
BBQ

I am scheduled to take delivery of a Model 3 tomorrow. I'm getting cold feet. I'm worried about quality, reliability and depreciation. I have done research for almost 2 years but I don't know if the model 3 will be as reliable as I hope. I've always had a Toyota/Lexus with no major issues. I put almost 30k miles a year on my cars. Everything makes sense to me IF Tesla's are reliable. Worried:(

I worry about people that choose Toyota/Lexus. Too boring, get ugly fast. Total me too cars. Ick. Good news if you pick up your Tesla, you are cured!!!

Picked up our new Model 3 on Wednesday. No problems identified. Looks great.

Will save at least $180/mo on gas. Depends on where you live, how much you drive, and what car you are comparing it to of course...

Feel like that covers some of the risk and still get a fun car to drive.