Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Image if CT actually launches at advertised prices: What will other EV trucks do?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While we don't know exactly when Ford starts producing the Lightening they say April. Take them at their word and Tesla at their word (limited production in 2023). The big point still holds that Ford and Rivian will sell everyone they can make.
GM and Nissan sold all the Leaf’s and Bolts they could make for some time after the Model 3 launched.

I never suggested Ford or Rivian would struggle. Only that the Cybertruck will do fine in spite of competition.

For the first few years all of the truck makers will sell everything they can make so long as pricing is remotely rational.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteWi
GM and Nissan sold all the Leaf’s and Bolts they could make for some time after the Model 3 launched.

I never suggested Ford or Rivian would struggle. Only that the Cybertruck will do fine in spite of competition.

For the first few years all of the truck makers will sell everything they can make so long as pricing is remotely rational.
I would agree, that's the big point. I think think the other point being that the Model 3 was just such a superior car. The big difference being it was not a compliance car whereas the leaf and bolt were mostly just compliance products. The Lightening and Rivian are clearly not compliance products, in one case it is make or break and in the other Ford is willing to kill it's bread and butter cash cow- the F series truck. That's nearly all of their profits. That's just a demonstrably different offering than the bolt or leaf.

I would agree, that's the big point. I think think the other point being that the Model 3 was just such a superior car. The big difference being it was not a compliance car whereas the leaf and bolt were mostly just compliance products. The Lightening and Rivian are clearly not compliance products, in one case it is make or break and in the other Ford is willing to kill it's bread and butter cash cow- the F series truck. That's nearly all of their profits. That's just a demonstrably different offering than the bolt or leaf.

I’m much more skeptical than you are. Both these trucks look decent compared to the current Model 3/ Model Y. I strongly suspect we’ll see a pretty big leap forward with the 4680 cells and the new platform. We’ll see soon when the 4680 Model Ys come out.

I’m much more skeptical than you are. Both these trucks look decent compared to the current Model 3/ Model Y. I strongly suspect we’ll see a pretty big leap forward with the 4680 cells and the new platform. We’ll see soon when the 4680 Model Ys come out.
I am quite skeptical of the 4680 rollout. I think that it has been very very slow to mature. Panasonic isn't really making any til 2024 and not in Reno but in Japan. That is telling you something. No CT this year at all. No semi at all. No chips they say but....there aren't more chips in the Semi and Ct and they'd sell for higher margins. So it is batteries. No Berlin either really. No Austin to speak of yet. They have already said that 2023 will be battery constrained. That means 4680 constrained. I don't expect good things from 2023 re CT and I NEED one. I have an older f350 and I really need to replace it. It is impacting business and life. I had counted on the CT but it's just going to require repairing the old truck til then.

Reactions: westie10019
Why are you comparing trucks from Ford/Rivian to passenger cars/SUVs from Tesla?

Makes zero sense.

This thread is, again, about the Cybertruck and its direct competition. Which, to spell it out again, are the F-150 Lightning and Rivian R1T.

And let’s keep in mind that 4680’s and Cybertruck are both vaporware as of today.

I am a Tesla Fan boy but realistic enough to see that the 4680 has not yet hit real production volumes. If Panasonic says 2024 then I guess that's when tesla will have it figured out as well so 2024 is sort of the latest. Til then a long gradual ramp. They have the chips by the end of this year so 2023 is the year of battery constraints, and EM has already told us that. They are being coy in public announcements but taking everything together it appears to be slow and difficult. I wish it was as simple as flipping a switch, doesn't appear to be.

I am sure the 4680 isn't vaporware. Just not meaningful much like the solar roof product which took years and is still not really going. Panasonic says 2024. I am guessing that's about right. Tesla has already admitted that next year is battery constrained.
I don’t think you know what vaporware means based on your comment.

Feel free to point me to a Tesla with a 4680 pack that I can buy today.

I am quite skeptical of the 4680 rollout. I think that it has been very very slow to mature. Panasonic isn't really making any til 2024 and not in Reno but in Japan. That is telling you something. No CT this year at all. No semi at all. No chips they say but....there aren't more chips in the Semi and Ct and they'd sell for higher margins. So it is batteries. No Berlin either really. No Austin to speak of yet. They have already said that 2023 will be battery constrained. That means 4680 constrained. I don't expect good things from 2023 re CT and I NEED one. I have an older f350 and I really need to replace it. It is impacting business and life. I had counted on the CT but it's just going to require repairing the old truck til then.
Tesla is starting up their Austin Model Y line with 4680 cells from Fremont. That’s a lot of capacity to bring online if they didn’t have the cells to supply the production line.

Panasonic isn’t the slowdown here, it is the ramp up in Austin.

Hi there. OP back again. I swear, I did not light this fire and run away! Anyhow, I read through the comments and the back and forth between a few of you, and I think I got the reaction I was looking for. A lot of thoughtful conversation here as well, so I was happy to see that as well. A few items to address.

4680's: Not vaporware. They exist and are being implemented, albeit on a small scale as of now (this is only from what has been reported in the last week)
Cybertruck: Is it Vaporware? Maybe. But maybe not. Tesla doesn't need this vehicle to succeed, just like they don't need the Semi, but it rounds them out as a vehicle manufacturer.
Competition from Rivian and Ford: Yeah Rivian and Ford beat them to the punch, but only Rivian has a competitively priced truck (for now) whereas Ford is going going for high end sales for the biggest possible margin.

One thing I found interesting about this thread is no one mentioned the potential manufacturing issues that could come with CyberTruck. If you recall, many of us were very wary about Tesla's ability to produce the truck 'vault'. Now, it seems like the Giga Press technology advancements have put that concern at ease.

I definitely won't be buying a F150 Lightning in the future, the Rivian is still in the mix for me, and possibly (if it ever comes out) the Ford Ranger or Bronco EV. Now that would be pretty cool! Unless they decide to take the same pricing tiers from the f150, then again... I'm out.

In times like this I tend to turn to some sort of universal definition...
And if we want to go a step further than Wikipedia, the Oxford dictionary defines it as “
  1. software or hardware that has been advertised but is not yet available to buy, either because it is only a concept or because it is still being written or designed.”

I’m curious to hear how @nativewolf definition differs.

I’m guessing they are done responding.