Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Importance of rear camber arms after lowering?

Think they save enough in tire wear to offset the cost of the arms?

• Yes - They will pay for themselves in a couple years

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • No - Not worth doing unless you keep the car a long time and drive a lot

Votes: 16 55.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As you lower more, the camber gets more negative. So you can go get an alignment and see where you are at. How negative is too much depends on your driving patterns. When it is too negative you wear the inside edge of your tires out fast. There is also some negative impact in straight line grip. But better cornering grip!

I used to run around with about -2.5 degrees on a street car, but also autocrossed it every weekend. The result was the inside AND outside edges wore out before the middle :D

Reactions: Lindenwood
This is a very old thread! Do you have an alignment printout we can take a look at and see if you need them? The rear camber arms are interchangeable between the Model 3 and Model Y if they are built strong enough for the Y.
Hahaha I know I looked back at the dates after i hit reply. Planning to lower my car with MPP coils this weekend and hoping to have less than -2 degrees. this MY is my daily and dont care for a lot of camber wear. I just want to make sure my camber is matching front and back plus camber less than -2 degrees. Trying to lower about an inch to inch and half.

I just want to make sure my camber is matching front and back plus camber less than -2 degrees.
This won't happen. The stock font camber is way less than the rear, and the rear gains camber quicker than the front. It won't match, but it isn't supposed to.

You'll be fine in the front for sure. The back will be right near 2 degrees. 1.8 deg is in Tesla's stock range.

Adjustable camber arms were/are a must in my case. After lowering my vehicle with MPP coilovers using MPP’s suggested initial settings/heights (which dropped my vehicle by about 1.25”), I had pretty severe negative camber. So, the adjustable arms allowed me to bring my camber back to near neutral. Your results may vary….
Resurrecting an old thread but did you find that toe adjusters were necessary or were your alignment adjustments able to remedy any need? I’ve just ordered the comfort coilovers purely for better rebound and compression because I find my MYLR crude and thrashy. I figured might as well eliminate some wheel gap since I’m spending this kind of money.
I’m open to any guidance or experience from those that have done it with and without regrets. I’m close to my 50’s and have other expensive hobbies I’d rather flush my kids’ college funds and retirement to 😂

Resurrecting an old thread but did you find that toe adjusters were necessary or were your alignment adjustments able to remedy any need? I’ve just ordered the comfort coilovers purely for better rebound and compression because I find my MYLR crude and thrashy. I figured might as well eliminate some wheel gap since I’m spending this kind of money.
I’m open to any guidance or experience from those that have done it with and without regrets. I’m close to my 50’s and have other expensive hobbies I’d rather flush my kids’ college funds and retirement to 😂

You’ll probably get a few different answers to that question, and both answers can be correct.

When I consulted with Jesse at MPP, he said in most cases, the stock toe adjusters are capable of aligning the car properly after lowering. So, buying separate adjustable toe arms should not be necessary in most situations. However, since the aftermarket adjustable arms (from MPP and other manufacturers) use better and more durable materials (especially the bushings) than stock, I decided to buy them anyway. I was already spending around $3000 for the coilovers, so what’s another $300 or so for the adjustable toe arms? Boy, am I glad I did because as it turns out, I had to make some significant adjustments to toe after installing the MPP coilovers at the recommended height settings. Your results/needs after lowering may be different than mine…

Good luck! I’m sure you’ll enjoy the coilovers once installed.

Reactions: MountainPass
I have not encountered a situation where we needed the toe arms but I like to make camber arms a requirement.

You’ll probably get a few different answers to that question, and both answers can be correct.

When I consulted with Jesse at MPP, he said in most cases, the stock toe adjusters are capable of aligning the car properly after lowering. So, buying separate adjustable toe arms should not be necessary in most situations. However, since the aftermarket adjustable arms (from MPP and other manufacturers) use better and more durable materials (especially the bushings) than stock, I decided to buy them anyway. I was already spending around $3000 for the coilovers, so what’s another $300 or so for the adjustable toe arms? Boy, am I glad I did because as it turns out, I had to make some significant adjustments to toe after installing the MPP coilovers at the recommended height settings. Your results/needs after lowering may be different than mine…

Good luck! I’m sure you’ll enjoy the coilovers once installed.

Thank you so much for your response! I’ve decided to roll the dice and just spring, no pun intended, for the cool overs and camber adjusters for now. I’m hoping the oe adjusters allow for enough adjustment to get alignment within spec. I spoke with Jesse at MPP via email and he seems to have offered some solid advice and has been more than gracious and accommodating. Thanks again for your feedback!