Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impressive video of Tesla safety features at work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The video from yesterday of a Tesla Model X detecting the imminent collision between the two cars in front is now on YouTube.

The YouTube video is actually titled much more accurately than your description:

The autopilot of a Tesla detects a downturn and avoids an accident (Netherlands)

The Tesla did not detect an imminent collision between the two cars in front. It detected the slowing down of the forward car at a rate that was deemed a threat to the Tesla itself.

Which is great!

But it does not (at least not yet) have analytical skill to predict the paths of the cars in front. It is reacting to them.

Reactions: Andyw2100
The video from yesterday of a Tesla Model X detecting the imminent collision between the two cars in front is now on YouTube.

Thank you for the You Tube posting as it enables one to easily slow the video down.
Semantics aside, and after repeated viewing (listening without watching too) I see the Tesla system slowed the vehicle a good deal just a split second before the very alert (good for him!) driver hit the brake (disabling the AP) to take control. Split seconds at highway speed make a HUGE difference. Systems/Software/Vehicle/Driver acting in concert to full, elegant, effect. Who can argue about that?

Reactions: EinSV
When you watch, and closely listen to the video, you can hear the alert tone of the imminent collision followed by the tone of autopilot disabling, presumably because the driver hit the brakes. You can also see that the car was already slowing down before the manual braking, so Autopilot was already braking. This tells me that the driver was paying attention, and reacted as fast, or maybe even faster, than most people would. It certainly reacted faster than the driver in the red car did to the sudden slowdown.

The story here is that Autopilot was even faster than the attentive driver, and in this case that extra braking likely saved the Tesla from being involved in the accident. Let's not argue semantics about "prediction" and instead focus on what really is a stellar example of how autonomous driving, when fully deployed, is better than manual driving.

Let's not argue semantics about "prediction" and instead focus on what really is a stellar example of how autonomous driving, when fully deployed, is better than manual driving.

You can say that you don't want to argue about the semantics, but words do matter. The wrong words make it easy for someone to have the wrong impression about what really happened, which detracts from how good the Tesla system is. The system is good enough that it deserves to be explained properly, using words that accurately describe it.

I hate to sound so cynical, but I don't see anything in that video that is so special, if you're alert and paying attention to the road a crash that far in front of you should be easy to avoid, regardless of AP on or off

You can't see the second car stopping until after the accident from the cam. So the driver would have no way to know until the accident occurred. While he could have stopped in time, the car did it for him by having better vision than the driver. That's pretty significant.

Reactions: Jaff
While he could have stopped in time

By my reckoning he was driving at a 1-second-gap (over here we had adverts with the slogan "Only a fool breaks the two second rule", and that's my preferred follow-distance), the colliding cars continued moving forwards [i.e. creating some space] so maybe there would have been space to stop ... but if the car in front had come to a dead-stop I think it would have been tight and any early-braking that the car did would mitigate that.

Reactions: MitchMitch
the weather channel should stick to guessing the weather and not parroting youtube vids that morons add their ill informed comments to

As I said I would yesterday, I stopped having a stupid semantic debate with you over the work "predicted" But now I see you have chosen to call half the members who have the audacity to differ with your opinion orons and ill informed"

That type of self-righteous and hateful speech is not appropriate and I have reported your post as such.

the weather channel should stick to guessing the weather and not parroting youtube vids that morons add their ill informed comments to

As I said I would yesterday, I stopped having a stupid semantic debate with you over the work "predicted" But now I see you have chosen to call half the members who have the audacity to differ with your opinion orons and ill informed"

You can call this semantics again, but words matter. You didn't pay careful enough attention to kort677's words. Read them again. He is calling the people who commented on the YouTube video that The Weather Channel used morons, etc. He said nothing about posters here.

Reactions: kort677
You can call this semantics again, but words matter. You didn't pay careful enough attention to kort677's words. Read them again. He is calling the people who commented on the YouTube video that The Weather Channel used morons, etc. He said nothing about posters here.
I think kort's moron comment was referring to the Weather Channel commentator, I suppose because he doesn't agree with his use of the term "predicts". Thanks for pointing it out though Jlwine since I have my TMC set to ignore all posts from kort677 (you might consider doing the same for your sanity).

• Love
Reactions: MitchMitch