Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improving 1/4 mile times, best ways

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, GT here, this is my first post, I have a question: what is the best way to take off on a model Y when 1/4 mile racing? Is it torque braking it? or just keeping ones foot touching the accelerator? I used to race GM cars, but I want to try with my model Y! Thanks for the anticipated response. GT30

Thank you, basically I am looking to find out if one gets a quicker ET by pressing the accelerator all the way down and pressing the brake at the same time, then taking off, or if we get quicker times by just keeping the right foot next to the accelerator and then stomping it, I do not have the instruments to check, it seems like just stomping gives me better times, but I am not sure, what do you think?

Upvote 0
Hey GT. In my performance you can't really power brake it. The car will just yell at you about pressing both pedals and cut power which you don't want obviously. Your best bet is to just mash the accelerator. I run the car in Hold mode so sometimes I've found a tap on the brakes will release the auto brakes for a second or two although I have zero proof this helps anything. Like I said you are probably best off just flooring it quickly.

Upvote 0
I have done enough runs in my car trying lots of different combinations. So far the best is just have it in hold mode (this is where the car has regen braking all the way to a stop and will hold the car at the stop without your foot on the brake. Mash the accelerator all the way to the floor in a very quick motion. The car manages everything perfectly after that if on a good surface.

I have a MY LR with boost. So not quite as quick as the P until about 20-25 mph. I tested this technique in the P models as well and it worked the same. The car is definitely not traction limited in either version and hooks up very well.

If you do this a lot with passengers in the car, if they aren't adrenalin junkies, you are likely going to tick them off. The car launches pretty hard. My partners makes sure to note their displeasure every time I do this when they are in the car. OTOH, our daughter says she wants to ride in the "white car" which is our Tesla every chance she gets. Apparently she got the adrenalin junkie gene that I apparently have.

Also keep in mind as a new/prospective owner, the state of charge (SoC) matters for your acceleration times, especially in the 1/4 mile. Optimal times will be when you are >90% SoC. It is still pretty quick 70-90%. Once you are in the 50% and lower range, the car feels pretty flat above about 50-60 mph. Surprisingly the 0-60 Tims are pretty good until you get under 30% so you won't feel the lower SoC as much around time. Even at a 20% SoC in city, very few cars are going to take you even in a base model LR without boost.

Enjoy your MY!

Reactions: dino007
Upvote 0
As others have said, technique is "mash the accelerator". As far as modifications, lighter wheels and tires make a difference. Also, if you are talking about actually going to a 1/4 mile track and you don't mind the car looking goofy, get a smaller than stock diameter wheel and tire package. This will in effect give you a better gear ratio for acceleration.... but it looks goofy as hell :) Some light weight forged wheels with autocross tires in 245/35/18 would improve 1/4 mile time significantly

Keith

Reactions: boulder.dude
Upvote 0