Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improving wheel aerodynamics with pizza pans?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been thinking about trying to improve the aerodynamics of my Model X wheels, and I'm looking for a way to do it that won't involve damaging the factory wheels, if I can.

It occurred to me that a 21" pizza pan should be almost exactly the right size to fit across a 20" wheel (about 1/8" from rubber on either side).

For mounting, I was thinking was that I could put a thin metal bar just behind the spokes close to the rim (where it would be several inches away from the calipers), and then use threaded rods from those bars to a pizza pan on the outside. I could put some rubber washers or similar around the threaded rods to keep them away from the spokes and keep them in place more precisely.

And I guess I'd want to cut a small hole for airing up the tires. Maybe I could put mount a rotating piece of aluminum in front of it or behind it so that it would be sealed except when opened.

Thoughts? Is this completely nuts?

Not sure if this is a "real" picture or a photoshop job but it showed up on a chinese website. I can't read chinese and google translate just provided gibberish but it looks like a model X with some aero covers similar to the chinese market model 3 (Tesla starts Model 3 orders in China, unveils new wheel design)

1477025557055023853.jpg

Tesla-Model-3-china-wheel.jpg

Reactions: onlinespending