Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In four months I've never received a software update? Anything I can do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my second Model S, so I understand how software updates work, that they aren't rolled out to everyone immediately, etc. However, I have had my car for four months now and am still on version 2018.21.9 which is quite far behind the current version.

I know a big problem is that I have to park underground where there is no wifi, and I've left my car outside for days at a time trying to update, sometimes using my personal hotspot as a wifi router. I've also done hard / soft resets, but no updates occur.

My car is a demo model meaning that it was used for test drives, and I did purchase it as a new car, but with 2000m on the odometer. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Is there anything else I should be trying? There are a number of significant updates to the firmware and AP between the version I have and the current version.

I have had 10 updates in the past 11 months - you definitely have something stuck. Call support, they can read the log for the reason and mayby reset the account to retry again. Worst case, take it in for service and they will bring it up-to-date.

So a few months ago when v9 first came out and my car was in for service I got multiple prompts via the app. Did nothing since it was at the SC. Never got another prmpt for nearly 2 months till I parked it differently at home to b get WiFi, prompted within 45 minutes.

I suggest a solid non-cellular wifi connection.

V9 user interface I am not crazy about though. Feel like they screwed something up for everything they may have improved.

Mine never updated and connects to wifi every night. I asked the Ranger the last time he was over here if he could do anything about that. He said he'd see what he could do. That afternoon, I got the pop up that the update was about to happen.

Update: I spoke to service over the phone who agreed this was a problem, but wasn't quite sure why I wasn't getting updates. They asked me to park outside and use my phone as a hotspot again and they would attempt to push the update. Its been about four hours, and nothing yet, but I have seen the data usage on my phone for hotspot go up about 100mb during this time, which it had never done in the past, so I'm going to leave it that way overnight and see what happens.

What is the most current version for the Model S??

If TeslaFi is an accurate representation sample for Tesla's worldwide you can see the majority on the latest Xmas update of 2018.48.12.1

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 6.05.51 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: mbonness
if you haven't gotten V9 yet your best bet is to get a mobile tech out to you or go to a SC. The updated maps kept failing so V9 never downloaded. You get stuck in a state of limbo and there's nothing you can do. Schedule an appointment and they will take care of it.

I picked up my MS this past Monday (12/31) and was on 2018.46. Being impatient I tried the 2 scroll wheel reboot method as explained in the Now You Know video posted yesterday. About 15 minutes after the reboot I got a push that a software update was available. Proceeded with the update which was done about 40+ minutes later and got me up to 2018.48.12.1 d6999f5. May want to give that a try.

Reactions: mbonness
I had the hardest time getting the maps and v9 update, installed a wifi range extender in my garage, noticed the car would connect only for a minute or two before getting disconnected. After doing a 4 button reboot (scroll wheels + buttons above scroll wheels) and connecting to my phone's 4G LTE hotspot, I noticed the phone was getting hot and using a lot of data, maybe 15-20 minutes later I got the notification for v9.

Now I'm trying the same technique since my car is one of the 3.2% of fleet stuck on 2018.46.2. Plugged the phone into USB charger in the car and in the last hour it's used 250 MB of data which seems promising. As a parent I REALLY want to get the fart noise update. :D

Confirmed - deep reset worked, my Model S is on 2018.48.12.1 now. It looks like the size of the update was about 500 Mb.

It would be really nice if as owners we had more control over the whole update process. A simple progress bar showing updates being downloaded, button to request update, etc. Make it work like smartphone updates.