Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In Praise of the Panoramic Windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now with almost 1000 miles on the Model X have to mention my favorite feature. The vehicle drives great, the falcon wing doors are a show stopper and do make lot easier enter and exit, vehicle grips pavement like no large vehicle I have ever drive. And I think it looks wonderful, our Metallic Pearl White in sunshine really pops. But I absolutely love the panoramic windshield, to drive it in a rainstorm like being in a jet cockpit. I am now disappointed when get in any other car, including our MS even with large moonroof but without large windshield. So great work Elon and your design team. I used to say would never buy another ICE vehicle, now also say will never buy vehicle with ordinary size front windshield.

I'm loving the expanse of the windshield too.

However the specular reflections from the speaker / vent grille material that are reflected right where all the action is out the front of the windshield are making me go cross-eyed. I'm hoping to get a replacement part of this grille and paint it matte black to get rid of this image. Also the shifted images from the partial internal reflections of the glass are noticeable during the day when looking at the specular reflections on other vehicles - not just at night like others had mentioned. These multiple images are of course present on every object - it's just that its much easier for your eye to pick up on high contrast objects. The net result is that this windshield is very fatiguing to look out of right now, but to be fair I am not wearing sunglasses either which might help. I'm a bit opposed to the idea that I should need to have polarizing eyewear to be able to see out of the vehicle properly though.

I think the low angle of the windshield and likely thicker glass due to the large size are conspiring to make the spread of the internal reflections much more pronounced than other cars. It seems strange to me that this and the dash grille image issue weren't addressed in the vehicle development.

What color is your dash? I have the black interior and don't notice reflections at all.
Interesting. I have a black, non-premium interior. I'm not sure how many variations of the dash materials there are other than black / white (i.e. does the PUP make this area different?).

Most of my drives have been on sunny, clear days during the middle of the day, which is probably the most challenging time for this dash reflection issue, but that is my reality and of course it is the same locale that this car was developed in, so I would have expected Tesla would have seen this in their own testing. @jka1117 mentions seeing the same issue and appears to live in the Denver area which also has a lot of sunny days this time of year. It appears you are in PA - what kind of sky conditions are you seeing around now?

Just another data point. I dropped my MX off at the Burlingame SC and received an almost-new MS P90DL loaner. The dash grille material is the same, but there is much less of an image of it on the windshield that the one in my MX. My guess is that the smaller and steeper windshield means there are fewer sun angles where the grille gets heavily illuminated, plus the windshield and grille angles are different.

Also the "ghosted" images of bright objects are much closer together - not really noticeable at all unless you really look. Much less fatiguing windshield to look out of. One of the causes here might also be height. I am tall, and the MX seats also have you sitting pretty high up in the cabin compared to the MS, so these factor may end up putting your gaze at a more extreme grazing angle to the windshield, exacerbating the ghost image problem. Maybe some of the people who don't notice this problem aren't as tall, at least from butt to eyes?

Interesting. I have a black, non-premium interior. I'm not sure how many variations of the dash materials there are other than black / white (i.e. does the PUP make this area different?).

Most of my drives have been on sunny, clear days during the middle of the day, which is probably the most challenging time for this dash reflection issue, but that is my reality and of course it is the same locale that this car was developed in, so I would have expected Tesla would have seen this in their own testing. @jka1117 mentions seeing the same issue and appears to live in the Denver area which also has a lot of sunny days this time of year. It appears you are in PA - what kind of sky conditions are you seeing around now?
I've had my X since January and took a road trip to Key West in March, so it's seen lots of sun, and haven't noticed a reflection issue.

Today in central PA, thunderstorms - dark skies, headlights on.

What color is your dash? I have the black interior and don't notice reflections at all.

I have a Pearl White P90D X with the tan seats and light headliner. The dash is black, half black alcantara (towards the driver), and the remaining half towards the hood is a perforated black grill. The perforated reflection happens on a daily basis to me. Interesting to note about the angle of the windshield. I'll have to watch and see if my husband's P90D S reflects the same.

Here is a pic of my X (top) and my Volvo XC60 (bottom) in my garage taken from my Foscam camera. Notice how the windshield on the X reflects IR light. This is factory windshield with no film, tint, coatings applied.
image.jpeg

I'm loving the expanse of the windshield too.

However the specular reflections from the speaker / vent grille material that are reflected right where all the action is out the front of the windshield are making me go cross-eyed. I'm hoping to get a replacement part of this grille and paint it matte black to get rid of this image. Also the shifted images from the partial internal reflections of the glass are noticeable during the day when looking at the specular reflections on other vehicles - not just at night like others had mentioned. These multiple images are of course present on every object - it's just that its much easier for your eye to pick up on high contrast objects. The net result is that this windshield is very fatiguing to look out of right now, but to be fair I am not wearing sunglasses either which might help. I'm a bit opposed to the idea that I should need to have polarizing eyewear to be able to see out of the vehicle properly though.

I think the low angle of the windshield and likely thicker glass due to the large size are conspiring to make the spread of the internal reflections much more pronounced than other cars. It seems strange to me that this and the dash grille image issue weren't addressed in the vehicle development.

The vent/grille reflection issue is just horrible. Its literally exactly in my line of sight.

Just another data point. I dropped my MX off at the Burlingame SC and received an almost-new MS P90DL loaner. The dash grille material is the same, but there is much less of an image of it on the windshield that the one in my MX. My guess is that the smaller and steeper windshield means there are fewer sun angles where the grille gets heavily illuminated, plus the windshield and grille angles are different.

Also the "ghosted" images of bright objects are much closer together - not really noticeable at all unless you really look. Much less fatiguing windshield to look out of. One of the causes here might also be height. I am tall, and the MX seats also have you sitting pretty high up in the cabin compared to the MS, so these factor may end up putting your gaze at a more extreme grazing angle to the windshield, exacerbating the ghost image problem. Maybe some of the people who don't notice this problem aren't as tall, at least from butt to eyes?
I'm 6 feet tall and I have a black dash with PUP and I see the reflection big time.