Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

in production! production time vs. delivery question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
further update-

after 14 days in production (notice came apr 10), today's update isn't exactly what i was hoping for:

"The paint has been completed on your vehicle and it should be moving onto general assembly today. Once it’s in the final stages of production we will isolate a date and time. I am crossing my fingers for your Model S to finish production by late next week"

Something must be up with the definition of "in production" for some cars. I can't imagine how painting takes 2 weeks. I'm at 15 days in production now, and my DS has a few inquiries in to figure out what's going on - and hasn't heard back (to my knowledge) in 2 days. Little surprised based on all the other manufacturing / delivery reports I've read around here...

Something must be up with the definition of "in production" for some cars. I can't imagine how painting takes 2 weeks. I'm at 15 days in production now, and my DS has a few inquiries in to figure out what's going on - and hasn't heard back (to my knowledge) in 2 days. Little surprised based on all the other manufacturing / delivery reports I've read around here...

I've spent most of the week with my DS trying to change one option for me and go under the new pricing structure, I still haven't gotten confirmation yet and I'm supposed to go into production Monday. I'm wondering if they're really swamped with the 70D and all the changes.

precisely my thoughts. seeing the recent total production times in the spreadsheet definitely set my expectations to a place that doesn't seem valid at the present time.

Delivery went great. Yes I took delivery at the service center in Farmer's Branch will most likely be where you will take delivery of yours.

At delivery they give you a sheet showing that it passed inspection. 7-10 days before you take delivery, you will get a FedEx package that has some paperwork that you sign and send back. One of which is an application for a Texas Title. After delivery, they FedEx you another package that has all the paperwork finalized including the application for a texas title.

So now all I have to do is take that paperwork, the inspection certificate, and go to my county tax office and write a big check for the registration. Then I get my plates and my one registration sticker.

All in all, a fairly painless process.

My vehicle made it to Chicago in 4-5 days.

I think Ohio should take a week max, but they may be trying to set reasonable expectations so you don't get disappointed if yours takes some time. They may ship vehicles in groups and your car could be the first in a group so it would need to wait for other vehicles to get finished and loaded.

further update

Hi all,

Just spoke to my DS and it appears there has been no status change since our last chat on Monday. The car is still pending entering general assembly. So it's not moving forward and seemingly no information available as to why that he's able to see/share. That's 19 days in production at this point. Next update is due on Friday.

final update!

after 27 days in production, things finally wrapped up and i took delivery on 5/9. phew! needless to say i'm a happy camper now. that said, of course there was no update available regarding why the car took so long vs many others including those described on this thread. oh well.

glad to have all that anxiety and waiting in the past! :)

final update!

after 27 days in production, things finally wrapped up and i took delivery on 5/9. phew! needless to say i'm a happy camper now. that said, of course there was no update available regarding why the car took so long vs many others including those described on this thread. oh well.

glad to have all that anxiety and waiting in the past! :)

I'm wondering the same thing here. 14 days in production and counting. The lack of communication of what's going on really is the worst part of it.