TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

In-wheel motor

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ac65mkna, Feb 18, 2014.

1. ac65mkna

ac65mkna New Member

Elon,
    The wheel hubs have a lot of spare room. Why not go with the Protean Electric in-wheel motors? They each pack 75HP or could be built to a rating of 100HP each.
    This would generate enormous net space in the car.
    The unsprung weight issue is not a problem, as documented by Lotus.
    Talk to Brabus in Germany, they have lots of know-how about this solution.
    Best
    Michael

2. Zextraterrestrial

..that is less total power than the 1 motor of the S?
    unsprung weight not an issue? With lighter wheels on the S it feels much better, I can't imagine adding to the weight of the wheels. It would feel horrible. Torque steering could be nice and awd of 4 motors awesome but I think it isn't a 'good' idea for the S (+ the car has enormous net space as it is)

sorry to attack the idea. The 4 motor Benz is pretty amazing but I think it has a bit more power? (740hp)

3. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Unless you keep the S drivetrain for the rear and use in-wheel motors for the front. An "extra" 150-200 HP over the S would be pretty impressive.

4. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

5. TD1

TD1 Member

Martin Eberhard said in a talk that small motors in EVs are actually more inefficient than bigger ones, there is a sweetspot.
    But even if this is solved somehow, I think this option will be reserved for the next Model S/X in around 7-8years if we are lucky.

6. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Also I believe I read that their motors use rare earth metals.

7. strider

strider Active Member

Since when is unsprung weight not an issue? Granted I'm a motorcycle guy but I can promise you that lighter wheels make a huge performance difference.

8. captain_zap

captain_zap Electron tamer

I'm wondering about the high voltage power cables and control bus that has to get from chassis to the motor hanging on the end of the suspension. This would have to be a very flexible cable routed in a very tough non-conductive sheath. Could be a maintenance problem.

9. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Tesla already considered this, and another company made a Mini with 4 motors in the wheels around 2006 or 7 I think. I can't find a link right now but they said it had 600 hp. They removed the brakes completely to make more room for the motors. When somebody questioned them about no brakes, they just said they had enough torque to lock the wheels at any speed on any surface, with redundant circuitry to make it failsafe.

10. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

PML Builds 640hp Electric MINI

http://www.worldcarfans.com/10607246585/pml-builds-640hp-electric-mini
    [/FONT]