TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Inaccurate Backup Camera Lines?

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by gavine, Jul 2, 2016.

1. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

The backup lines on my recently-sold Model S were very accurate. If I was centered in a parking spot, the backup lines were centered between the lines in the space. The lines on my Model X, on the other hand, are not. If I'm centered in the space, the left backup line is even with the painted line. The right side line is accurate.

Is this the way the Model X is, or is something wrong with mine? Is there a way to calibrate the lines?

• Like x 2
  2. MrJones390

MrJones390 Space Boat

Was wondering the same about my model S. The lines should be the outsides of the tires but they aren't.

3. gavine

#3 gavine, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    I'm okay with them being on the inside, as long as they generally line up with the tires and are consistent on both sides. On my X, the left camera line is touching the painted parking line, when clearly, I'm 8 to 12 inches inside of it.

4. Epymian

Epymian Member

Mine has the same issue. It messes up the automatic parking and i had to interrupt the Tesla as was about to graze the car on left side of parking spot. Also have to be careful backing into garage.

5. ernies

ernies Member

Mine has a similar problem. I have not been able to figure it out, but back up better using side mirrors which is difficult as I have the outside mirrors set so far out to minimize the blind spot. Maybe I will practice today and report as a problem.

6. BrettH

BrettH Member

@ernies If you set your mirrors to tilt while in reverse, you can adjust the mirrors in that mode, then when you put the car into drive, the mirrors go back to where you had them programmed before. I was afraid that adjusting the mirrors while in tilt mode would affect the mirrors in their normal setting, but it appears that they're saved separately.

7. ernies

ernies Member

Interesting...will the reverse tilt setting get saved into my profile? It has been very embarrassing to not park straight.

8. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

Yes. It’s all explained in the Owner’s Manual:

Mirror Auto-tilt When Reversing

Both exterior mirrors can automatically tilt downward when backing up. To adjust the auto-tilt position, shift into Reverse, then adjust the mirrors as described above (press the button associated with the mirror you want to adjust, then press the dial to move the mirror to the desired position). Touch Save on the touchscreen to save the mirror adjustment in your driver pro le.

When you shift back into Drive, the mirrors tilt back to their normal (upward) position. But now that you have adjusted them for backing up, they automatically tilt to the selected downward position whenever you shift into Reverse.

You can turn the auto-tilt feature on or off using the touchscreen, Touch Controls > Settings > Vehicle > Mirror Auto-Tilt.

• Informative x 2
  9. ernies

ernies Member

When all else fails: READ THE MANUAL. Thanks

10. Epymian

Epymian Member

My MX also has the same issue with the backup lines being misaligned. I think this affects auto park as my car was going to clip the car on the left first time I tried it on auto and I had to intervene. Since I live 4 hours from a SC, they wanted 960$ to drive a tech out here to fix it. I will wait or try adjusting those little hex screws on either side of the backup camera myself. It is annoying for sure.

11. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

I believe Auto Park uses the sonar sensors and the backup lines are only for your own convenience.

12. gavine

Please circle back and let us know how the hex screw adjustment procedure worked.

13. ernies

ernies Member

Yes...please let us know about the hex screw adjustment. My SC has it noted on my file, but they referred to the white lines on the display as being "reference" points only. I don't buy that. You align headlights, you position cameras. I do think they ought to do the work just in case, but they are moving to a new location and are delivering, repairing, storing, moving and are stressed out. In the meanwhile I tried to make visual adjustments today but am still off by about 2" even with correction.

14. Scrith

Scrith Member

It's a crying shame the X doesn't have surround cameras like my old 2013 LEAF, which made perfect parking in all kinds of situations very simple. It's the only feature I have missed since switching to a Model X.

15. ernies

ernies Member

Unfortunately, although I have set the reverse tilt and hit "SAVE" at least five times it refuses to accept the reverse tilt change. Sigh

16. Epymian

Epymian Member

My X also does not save the reverse tilt setting, even though any change I make while in reverse makes the "save" button appear. Must be a bug.

S

• Informative x 1