Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inaccurate Backup Camera Lines?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gavine

Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
The backup lines on my recently-sold Model S were very accurate. If I was centered in a parking spot, the backup lines were centered between the lines in the space. The lines on my Model X, on the other hand, are not. If I'm centered in the space, the left backup line is even with the painted line. The right side line is accurate.

Is this the way the Model X is, or is something wrong with mine? Is there a way to calibrate the lines?

I'm okay with them being on the inside, as long as they generally line up with the tires and are consistent on both sides. On my X, the left camera line is touching the painted parking line, when clearly, I'm 8 to 12 inches inside of it.

Last edited:
Mine has a similar problem. I have not been able to figure it out, but back up better using side mirrors which is difficult as I have the outside mirrors set so far out to minimize the blind spot. Maybe I will practice today and report as a problem.

@ernies If you set your mirrors to tilt while in reverse, you can adjust the mirrors in that mode, then when you put the car into drive, the mirrors go back to where you had them programmed before. I was afraid that adjusting the mirrors while in tilt mode would affect the mirrors in their normal setting, but it appears that they're saved separately.

@ernies If you set your mirrors to tilt while in reverse, you can adjust the mirrors in that mode, then when you put the car into drive, the mirrors go back to where you had them programmed before. I was afraid that adjusting the mirrors while in tilt mode would affect the mirrors in their normal setting, but it appears that they're saved separately.

Interesting...will the reverse tilt setting get saved into my profile? It has been very embarrassing to not park straight.

Interesting...will the reverse tilt setting get saved into my profile? It has been very embarrassing to not park straight.
Yes. It’s all explained in the Owner’s Manual:

Mirror Auto-tilt When Reversing

Both exterior mirrors can automatically tilt downward when backing up. To adjust the auto-tilt position, shift into Reverse, then adjust the mirrors as described above (press the button associated with the mirror you want to adjust, then press the dial to move the mirror to the desired position). Touch Save on the touchscreen to save the mirror adjustment in your driver pro le.

When you shift back into Drive, the mirrors tilt back to their normal (upward) position. But now that you have adjusted them for backing up, they automatically tilt to the selected downward position whenever you shift into Reverse.

You can turn the auto-tilt feature on or off using the touchscreen, Touch Controls > Settings > Vehicle > Mirror Auto-Tilt.

My MX also has the same issue with the backup lines being misaligned. I think this affects auto park as my car was going to clip the car on the left first time I tried it on auto and I had to intervene. Since I live 4 hours from a SC, they wanted 960$ to drive a tech out here to fix it. I will wait or try adjusting those little hex screws on either side of the backup camera myself. It is annoying for sure.

My MX also has the same issue with the backup lines being misaligned. I think this affects auto park as my car was going to clip the car on the left first time I tried it on auto and I had to intervene. Since I live 4 hours from a SC, they wanted 960$ to drive a tech out here to fix it. I will wait or try adjusting those little hex screws on either side of the backup camera myself. It is annoying for sure.
I believe Auto Park uses the sonar sensors and the backup lines are only for your own convenience.

Please circle back and let us know how the hex screw adjustment procedure worked.

Yes...please let us know about the hex screw adjustment. My SC has it noted on my file, but they referred to the white lines on the display as being "reference" points only. I don't buy that. You align headlights, you position cameras. I do think they ought to do the work just in case, but they are moving to a new location and are delivering, repairing, storing, moving and are stressed out. In the meanwhile I tried to make visual adjustments today but am still off by about 2" even with correction.

Yes. It’s all explained in the Owner’s Manual:

Mirror Auto-tilt When Reversing

Both exterior mirrors can automatically tilt downward when backing up. To adjust the auto-tilt position, shift into Reverse, then adjust the mirrors as described above (press the button associated with the mirror you want to adjust, then press the dial to move the mirror to the desired position). Touch Save on the touchscreen to save the mirror adjustment in your driver pro le.

When you shift back into Drive, the mirrors tilt back to their normal (upward) position. But now that you have adjusted them for backing up, they automatically tilt to the selected downward position whenever you shift into Reverse.

You can turn the auto-tilt feature on or off using the touchscreen, Touch Controls > Settings > Vehicle > Mirror Auto-Tilt.
Unfortunately, although I have set the reverse tilt and hit "SAVE" at least five times it refuses to accept the reverse tilt change. Sigh

I am experiencing same issue with my Model X. I reported to service center and they said it's fine. To add insult to injury, the model S they loaned me has the correct alignment on backup lines. My left hand side is off ~1' which makes backing out of a narrow garage challenging.

Two photos attached. In both cases the the car is centered in the garage door, in reverse. For my X, it makes it look like I'm gong to hit the wall. In the S, it shows it is centered.

Model S loaner alignment is fine:
IMG_7586 (1).jpeg

My Model X alignment is way off:
IMG_7584 (1).jpeg

Might be off topic, but I wish we had colored lines depicting distances while backing up. Most cars have them. I get that it gives us numbered distances but it would be helpful to not have to look in a different area for them.